Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new music?

Options
  • 20-03-2001 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

first of all just a few things ive picked up recently which are worthy of mention, unlike some of the other crap i got wink.gif

Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out, excellent laid back indie record with glimpses of pop here and there, well worth spending money on and definitly recomended if you at all like stuff like Spiritualizeds Lazer Guided Melodies.

got my hands on AK1200 - Prepare For Assault as well.. mix album by one of Americas top dnb acts, haven't listened to it too much yet (due to two other albums here) but theres some absolutely crazy beats on here smile.gif

also My Bloody Valentine - Loveless .. really old, 92 or thereabouts if im not mistaken, sorta like late spiritualized stuff if theres any comparison. either way its ****in excellent and truely great listening, and ive kicked myself repeatedly that i hadn't got it sooner.

oh and I've mentioned it before repeatedly .. but Blackalicious - Nia is the best hip-hop album of 2000 imo. go get it, for once its not an album full of "we're the bomb" ****** but pure lyrical and musical genius from start to finish.

anyway point of thread... give us some new music to listen to.. except please explain what it is smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

I agree Loveless kicks huge huge arseys

Mirwais = Excellent electronicy discolike
    housey strange nice and hmmm yea kindof
    (got ****all sleep last night)
    Anyone hear of Sigur Rós?
    They're really nice and mellow
    bit like mogwai but real gentle singing
    beautiful really
    They're playing the temple on 26t April
    accoring to Pet Sounds bloke i heard on de bus
    I say go
    And St Germain May 5t Olympia (mellow(y) houseey
    jazzy veryverygood)

song
    Wagon Christ - Reciever = good

anyone like em? wots album like

Oh a m8 showed me Primus Oh and some band called deus (very relaxing)tuder day
    sound good anyone like em

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"Godspeed, You Black Emperor!" & "and you will know us by the Trail of Dead."

why?

'cos the first band's like nothing you've ever heard before and the second are just all out fun to listen to. smile.gif

assuming you haven't heard them before, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm yeah heard quite a bit about Sigur Ros and St. Germain.. don't own any of their albums yet tho, both just seem to get pushed down the queue each time I go to get something.. might head to that gig on the 26th if funds are there.

Primus are well fun, dont take themselves too seriously, not too big into them myself though, just the occasional listen smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Get yourself a Sigur Ros album! There's only one so far.

It's a guy not a band and he plays the guitar with a bow!
    Amazing stuff though, really mellow.

Like a soundtrack for the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

My bloody valentine is bloody good.
    I bought "Mer De Noms" by A Perfect Circle a few weeks back and its quite good, not dissimiliar to loveless. Its not rock genius but its good to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

http://remix.kwed.org

All you ever need (and perfectly legal)..... wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Get yourself a Sigur Ros album! There's only one so far.</font>
    Nope, Sigur Ros have three albums.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's a guy not a band</font>
    Nope, it's a band.

Thank god the world is growing out of this silly lo-fi fascination. I got a great deal of joy from the pitchfork review of the Kings Of Convenience's "Quiet is the new loud"...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's a rare agonizing moment that illustrates just how Herculean an effort listening to Norwegian nancy boys whimper testiculessly can be.</font>

Come back, Eddie Van Halen, all is forgiven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

My apologies on both counts.

wow just came across a stunner of an album: Funki Porcini - Love, Pussycats & Carwrecks.
    jazz funk on top of some excellent laid back beats.. Boards Of Canada meets FSOL with that little bit of techno/dnb thrown in, its like going back and listening to Lifeforms for the first time smile.gif

oh and if anyone has come across anything similar to Roger Waters : Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking (that whole ultimate concept album thing) tell me.. I'm nearly up to understanding 3/4 of it now after 50-75 listens.. and will be needing something new soon smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 22-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Well recently added to my collection are:

Pj Harvey - 4 track demos...really quite an Amazing album. She the queen.
    Kings of Convenience - Quiet is the new Loud... Belle and Sebastienesque cept a bit more heavy. chilled out. not bad at all.
    Queens of the Stoneage - eponymous... heavy guitar sounds and grungy feel. good stuff. lively and loud.
    Kruder Dorfmeister - The K&D sessions... ambient work. very chilly.
    Emmy Lou Harris - Red Dirt Girl... seems like the girl just gets better with age. Took a bit of getting used to though as its a bit more "modern" than most of her stuff.
    Captain Beefheart - Uncoditionally Garaunteed... Just completing my Beefheart collection. Obviously a masterpiece.

yeah cheez dEUS are fluckin amazing. Have all their stuff here.

_ _ _________________ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Wagon Christ is actually one guy called Luke Vibert.

He's got a new album out soon on Mo'Wax I fink that's gonna be tasty.

He has remixed loads of stuff, his "Tally 'Ho" album is some of his best work. (on Virgin I think)

-Son of Blam

have a few Luke Vibert tracks in mp3 form.. some not too hectic, nice relaxing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

have a look at epitonic.com have all the new music you could ever need.

(just discovered the site and love it)

last couple of cds i bought

latest tortoise one on warp good but a bit dissappointing, still going to gig in april though.

latest boards of canada ep. v. nice.

smog - the doctor came at dawn, amazing.

lambchop - can't remember title, not nixon. brilliant. countryish mellow wonderful stuff.

j mascic & the fog - can't remember title but it's their new albulm, brilliant indie guitar rock type stuff, even if you weren't a dinosaur jr. fan (shame on you) it's amazing.

must buy that pixies b-sides thing at some stage as well..

Advertisement