Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bewleys is gone...yipee

• 30-11-2004 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Am I missing the point over the whole Bewleys thing?

All I've been hearing on the radio today is a load of old geezers going on about how great Bewleys is, how they had their confirmation there back in 2000BC.

Here's what I think.

Bewleys Grafton Street was a big noisy kip....I found it wasnt particularly clean...the overpriced coffee wasnt great...it was either too watery or too bitter like it had been sitting there for 3 weeks.

The staff were miserable...the food was stodgy at the best of times..you'd find cleaner toilets in a Baghdad jail.

And what about all those people protesting against the closure on Grafton street today? Dont they have jobs?

It was closed for financial reasons....4 million euro down the crapper....if dubs loved the kips so much they would have gone there more, then they wouldnt have had to close.

now...glad i got that off my chest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i agree gerry ryan going on about it this morning. and then said he hadnt been in there in years. prooves your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

Well said sir - excelsior to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I agree, I don't know how they expected to do well, they charged above average prices for very very below average food. Surprised they didn't close sooner actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yah I don't understand the whole ruckus about it either. As regards all those protesting people, did they go to Bewleys all the time, enough to keep it in business? Obviously not since it was suffering huge losses.

What annoys me is how do people expect a business person to keep Bewleys open just for the sake of it when they are suffering losses - cop on like!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Didn't they make something like €400 million losses?
    In all honesty, I don't think their die hard consumer base could really take responsibilty for that filling that gap. That's a lot of scones and cups of tea.
    I can kinda see where the protesters are coming from but, to be honest, I don't care. It doesn't bother me if I'm going into a Bewleys or some other lookalike cafe to get a drink or have something to eat. I've probably only been there once in the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Some massive queue outside there today....God I hate Grafton Street when it's busy! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Went in with a friend of mine last week, she wanted to go in "one last time" type of thing. Got myself a tiny glass of "fruit juice" and a chicken baguette thing. The juice was manky and the roll and chicken actually tasted like cardboard, actually.

The whole thing cost me over €5. Good riddence.
    Isn't supposed to turning into a Starbucks or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Waltons wrote:
    Didn't they make something like €400 million losses?

Now that WOULD be a lot of coffee and scones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You sure it's going to be a Starbucks? They ain't a franchise and last I heard they had no intention of setting up here. But then we did catch up with the rest of the world as regards drinking coffee. But wouldn't it be too big for a statbucks?

• Advertisement

Oh no, I've no idea. I just heard that ..... somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

maybe it'll turn into a coffeeshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

There was an article in the business supplements a good few months ago about Starbucks wanting to open 50 places here! Bewleys on Grafton St. Is much too big for them. Think more along the lines of H&M, Zara or more British high street bollocks using the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

itll probably become a graham o'sullivans or something and be the same with a different name.

Giant O'Briens tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i heard it was a starbucks as well.By the mad man protesting outside. That's the only reason im sad to see it go.Was in there just before it closed, they were singing songs and the whole lot.Damn Americans, first foot locker, now starbucks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the craic with Starbucks? I've never seen one, but apparently there's one on every street corner in Americaland. Do people really need that much coffee? Do Irish people even drink coffee? I never asked myself the question until I moved here - I think the average Hollander drinks 1.8 litres a day. Anyway, Bewleys was always cack, so who cares if it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

FX Meister wrote:
    You sure it's going to be a Starbucks? They ain't a franchise and last I heard they had no intention of setting up here. But then we did catch up with the rest of the world as regards drinking coffee. But wouldn't it be too big for a statbucks?

Erm...there are two Starbucks in Dublin, on the Microsoft campus. And one in Belfast. I heard from a reliable source that Starbucks are going to open in the old Bewleys on Grafton St. I can't wait!

What's the craic with Starbucks? I've never seen one, but apparently there's one on every street corner in Americaland

Its literal.There IS one on EVERY corner. When i was in one in san francisco, we left, looked across the road, and there was another one sitting there.
    Anyway, Bewleys was always cack, so who cares if it's gone.

I care, as it will be a starbucks!And i really dislike starbucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Can't say I'll miss it. Lots of sentimental people remembering going there as kids but never since. They seem to have completely missed the coffee revolution, and no business can operate on their losses. I also disagree that the State should step in to bail them out - can you imagine explaining that to a patient on a hospital trolley.

At the same time, it will be a shame to lose another building to the British high street. Alas, for a building that size, the only other option is a superpub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I worked in the Bewley's in Cork before it was closed down.. oh man did I celebrate!! after working in there I never ever ate in a Bewley's again.. say no more!! That was the one in Cork I suppose.. but heh they can't be that different..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Cork_girl wrote:
    I worked in the Bewley's in Cork before it was closed down.. oh man did I celebrate!! after working in there I never ever ate in a Bewley's again.. say no more!! That was the one in Cork I suppose.. but heh they can't be that different..

Everyone says that about everywhere they work though lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just passed the one on Grafton Street and it's jammed with people trying to "Save Bewleys". Such a load of crap! It's a dive, badly managed and provides crap food. Personally I'd welcome Starbucks, at least they make a good cup of coffee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Whoops, not 400 mil. My mistake.
    I heard it on the radio this morning whilst getting dressed. Wasn't listening properly.
    Viva la Starbucks! Maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I have to agree, Bewleys was fairly crappy as it goes. Overpriced Manky coffee, Overpriced Terrible food, freezing Manky premises and lousy staff. It is a little sad from a Nostalgia point of view but as regards what you got in there, no loss to be honest.
    Not sure Starbucks would be too welcome though, they are on every street corner in the US (a process they call clustering AFAIK) which drives out all the local competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's a pity its gone, imo, sure enough I hadn't been there in the last few months but like, as long as its not turned into some cheap fast food place I'm happy :D
    Oh and, f<uk Starbucks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

"Starbucks" is in DCU aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Ill agree the food was overpriced,etc but it was a historic landmark in Dublin society and it is sad to see them close..... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

jonny68 wrote:
    Ill agree the food was overpriced,etc but it was a historic landmark in Dublin society and it is sad to see them close..... :rolleyes:

thats life

"and I, for one welcome our new starbucks overlords..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What's the craic with Starbucks? I've never seen one, but apparently there's one on every street corner in Americaland.

Its how they do it that is annoying. (ref: No Logo)

Basically they would saturate an area with shops and then move onto another area once all the competition had been killed off. They would also set up shop right beside any other coffee shop in the area if possible and/or buy out any existing coffee stores leases from under them. In most cases without even the coffee stores knowing thier lease had been sold.

Its artsy-fartsy crap in store for the pseduo intellectuals who if they knew what they got up to probably would never buy coffee there again.

eth0_ wrote:
    Erm...there are two Starbucks in Dublin, on the Microsoft campus. And one in Belfast. I heard from a reliable source that Starbucks are going to open in the old Bewleys on Grafton St. I can't wait!
    wow, didn't know that. Technically Belfast doesn't count as they would see that as the UK, and I take it the Microdoft campus isn't publically accessible.

dregin wrote:
    "Starbucks" is in DCU aswell.
    No it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

And they're in DCU apparently.

Starbucks make nicers drinks than most pissy Irish coffee houses.

FX Meister wrote:
    No it's not
    Where did you come up with that? Sign's say starbuck's. It's the exact same setip as in M$.

Where about in DCU is it? According to Starbucks themselves they only have two stores in Ireland, one in Belfast and one in Antrim.

• Advertisement

The main canteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ClareBear wrote:
    Everyone says that about everywhere they work though lol

yeah but it was more how the owners treated the staff and the less than minimum wage.. among other things..

more the lack of respect they had for their staff than anything else!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well they (starbucks) announced plans to open 30 stores across the country over the next year or two. The first regular one is in Belfast, I heard claims and counter-claims in relation to DCU, I'll have to check it out some time... anyone got directions to it from the Helix? :D

It would be mad to see Starbucks open over Bewleys (and do a Footlocker job... they announced the deal with Champion Sports, and had all the stores rebranded in about 2 weeks... mad stuff!). I dont think Starbucks would take that land though, it's far too big for that kind of outfit (or at least their first one). its a fast-drink place no need for so much seating. I know they have some, but not that much.

As for Bewleys closing, I dont know. They were losing money, they did severely lack service and quality and they were over priced so they kinda deserve to close (a half decent manager would have made good of that place, it should be popular by name alone, they should have been making profit on tourism alone!). It is sad to see a unique shop go from the city, and a piece of Irish culture disappear, but sadly we can't get all rosey eyed on these things, Dublin has moved on and Bewleys couldn't keep up. It may be part of our past but it's not as important as other landmarks or buildings.

flogen

dregin wrote:
    The main canteen.
    Are you sure it's not just a rip off? I've never been to the main canteen so I don't really know.

How do you mean claims?? It's either there or it isnt
    I'll take a photo wth my next cup outside the helix and post :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

As far as I am aware, Campbells Catering is the least favourite for Catering Graduates to work for. I assume their ethos applied to Bewleys, hence the muck food and worse service.
    Can anyone in the business confirm?.

FX Meister wrote:
    Are you sure it's not just a rip off? I've never been to the main canteen so I don't really know.
    No. It is definitely Starbucks. Heh I dunno why I'm tryin so hard here, i hate them. Their coffee rules my life tho :P

Yeah I love their Caramel Machiato. I remember one in manhatten I used to go to. When you were sitting down having your coffee you could look accross the road and see another one on one corner and another still on the opposite corner. Not exactly a great place to agree to meet someone.

they do have wireless networks in some of them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT - One rep point coming your way.

I just hope that it doesn't do what it did on Henry Street, and turn into a Lifestyle sports to harvest more scumbags.

Re the Starbucks thing: I can't confirm it will happen in Bewleys old premises, but I do know that Gloria Jeans Coffee Houses will soon all become Starbucks - I can't wait! (I average 6/7 cups of coffee per day)

Finally, I heard on the news that they had over 4,500 signatures on the petition to keep it open. If each one of those nostalgic fools went in just once a week, and bought just a crappy overpriced coffee (and maybe a cake), Bewleys would make over €3200 daily from JUST THOSE PEOPLE - sure illustrates how much they really care!

Once again, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm another who won't be sheding a tear over the death of Bewleys. Horrid, overpriced 'food' and terrible service meant it was just a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There's a starbucks on every corner pretty much in London... who cares at least it's clean and the staff smile and they serve decent coffee, the whole point of a coffee shop one would imagine.

John

lol. was just on the news....well, in one of the shots, standing on the balcony in bewleys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Lump wrote:
    There's a starbucks on every corner pretty much in London... who cares at least it's clean and the staff smile and they serve decent coffee, the whole point of a coffee shop one would imagine.

John

You'd swear there aren't places in Dublin already doing that. Coffee Society serve great coffee in really nice shops with friendly staff as do Butlers and O' Briens to a lesser extent.

Bewleys on Grafton St is a listed building so it'll be really interesting to see what becomes of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement