Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there an easy way to automate a simple windows process

Options
  • 30-11-2004 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

what i want to do is find out the password for a module of a computer program unfortunately the manufacturer has gone out of business. its an old practice management program for doctors.
    i know the password is between 1 and 9999 to save me entering them all is there any way a program would go sequentially through them ie 0001 then automatically press return and then ctrl to cancel and clear the field(this works here and allows a new number to be added) and then 0002 and so on while i watch until i visibibly confirm success. surely there is a simple program out there?
    thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Yeah its pretty easy to do - in work we had to transfer ~1000~ clients into a 3rd party direct payment system. It had been estimated to take 2 people 2 weeks to complete the task. I wrote one of those little keyboard and mouse gizmo's and it took 2 hours :D.

Since you are on the programming board I'm guess you're looking to write something yourself ;) so if this is under Windows look at the mouse_event and keybd_event API calls and you're sorted. Just remember what goes down (i.e. a keypress) should also go up afterwards :)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hi dazberry, thanks for the reply. i dont know much about programming (only using the front end which haha) i only posted it here as i didnt know where else to post it. yep its windows alright. can u point me in the right direction thanks very much for your help i really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.networkautomation.com/automate/index.htm?redirfrom=unisyn&

Think it is expensive but they have a 15 day trial version.

Many a year ago a place I worked for they a falling out with the accounts person (he basically said "Feck yous" and quit). They couldn't find him and he locked out the accounts system.

I wrote a simple BASIC program at that time. It basically opened a file and typed in the keystrokes, close the file then pipe the file to the executable.

If it failed then it would loop bck to the program which would increment the number and try again. Took over two days before it finally logged in (on a 286).

So you could try something like that for a DOS program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ive done it didnt need program at all code was between 1 and 99 but im sure more than one code worked cause it only took a couple of minutes to figure it out. not very good program protection......anyway thanks again

Advertisement