Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tech Reccomendations

• 30-11-2004 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

So, Im looking for a portable computer for work, but i'd like to do some basic-to-intermediate level DV editing on it too. I'm definitely talking Apple, but I have no idea as to the differences between the different Apple models. So, as far as the DV editing goes, what would you reccomend? Not saying money is no object, but I'm willing to stretch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Deffo using mac?

Well I'd go with FCP then

Alt if money is an object you can download a demo version of Avid Xpress Pro off www.avid.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

i think he's curious about the hardware.

i use FinalCutPro on an eMac for DV editing and its stable and fast. browsing the apple site i see that the powerbook g4 is a more powerful piece of kit and would surely be able to handle any editing needs you may have. bear in mind you will have to shell out a *lot* on top of the price of hardware for FCP.

but ask somebody who really knows their stuff. me=recent amateur enthusiast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

i think he's curious about the hardware.

i use FinalCutPro on an eMac for DV editing and its stable and fast. browsing the apple site i see that the powerbook g4 is a more powerful piece of kit and would surely be able to handle any editing needs you may have. bear in mind you will have to shell out a *lot* on top of the price of hardware for FCP.

but ask somebody who really knows their stuff. me=recent amateur enthusiast.

Ah. I'm running FCP 3.5 and 4.0 and Xpress Pro on my g4 powerbook. It runs fine for simple stuff, but rendering requires a bit of going off for a coffee (except for the 4.0 which occasionally falls over cause it's real time rendering on most stuff) A g4 with chunked up ram to 756m is what you need. The laptop plus xtra ram plus software won't leave you with much change from €3000.

Advertisement