Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn Guitar

Options
  • 28-03-2001 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anyone know any good sites to help with learning guitar (not that it's too difficult to pick up but tips on power chords etc. would be helpful) ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

www.tacrawler.com has loads of tabs. your bound to find something easy there. just search for oasis or the beatles or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭PostmanPat

Cheers drunkleprachan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

One great guitar site i found recently is www.wholenote.com which has lesssons grouped by style and difficulty.
    Btw the reason i edited twice was that the link wouldnt work.
    [This message has been edited by Raptor (edited 29-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Raptor (edited 29-03-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Cool, emmm, well me was lookin to learn guitar and wel, me needds some advice, i had meh eye on a guitar, i wanted you to tell meh if it was sh|t or good...
    its a starter pack and i am aware the the starter packs are basically utter p|sh, anywaz, its a Marshall starter pack, i know they are renowned for thier Amps (i think) but im not sure about thier guitars, anyway, sapecial edition marshall guitar, 15Watt Amp (which looks tasty for that particular pack)and all the usual extras, strap, case, etc, so then, anygood, or should i go for somthin else, if so anyone be able to point meh in the rite direction?????
    thx in advance
    btw, Raptor...as in AI=Raptor= ?
    Linkin Park - crawlin - l33t imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

As a beginner Id recommend finding a cheap half decent 2nd hand guitar to start with. After a few months you will know enough to be able to tell a nice feeling guitar. An acoustic is generally cheaper, expecially since u dont need an amp, and is a safer investment if you arent certain of sticking with the guitar (cause some ppl do just get sick of it or just cant catch on or whatever).

Tips for a beginner:

No chord is impossible.
    No bar chords are impossible, no powerchords are, umm, remotely difficult smile.gif
    Well your fingers will hurt, but stick with it.

Cant remember the amount of times I gave up on bar chords cause i thougth they were impossible, but u get them eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been playing on and off for 4 years and I still get really sore when playing loads of bar chords (esp on my acoustic which has ****e action).

Power Chords are dead easy though - it's more about speed than accuracy biggrin.gif

As for that starter pack - do as Pally sez and look for an acoustic - they're better to learn on cause they're harder to play (sometimes), so you can be a better player without realising it wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Doesn't matter how hard or simple the song is to play as long as you use your soul to play it
    and bar chords aren't that bad

tip:write songs

Ye kharn, I learned on an acoustic. Jesus the action! The blisters! But when I moves onto electric, omg so ez.

And yeah, like cheez says, play songs cause you like to play them. You gotta have ure soul (figuratively) in the music. If you dont enjoy it then you are doing something wrong.

also www.guitar.com has some helpful tips, and http://olga.net has the incredibly useful chord library for the amateur. THIS IS SO HANDY WHEN STARTING! smile.gif

YOu know Cheez you talk an awful load of sh!t sometimes !! You have to learn where your fingers should be placed, how to pick and strum before you can put "soul" into the music

The names of Postman Pat, Jess and other characters depected herein are trademarks of Woodland Animations Limited.

Yes thats true, but you should enjoy your music which i thought was what he meant. I might have misinterpreted his statement tho smile.gif

• Advertisement

Oh and some important advice:

If your finger muscles are hurting, stop!

You will just **** ure fingers up, and get arthritis n stuff a few years down the line.

my finger musles are strong enough at the moment (maybe for another reason though)

The names of Postman Pat, Jess and other characters depected herein are trademarks of Woodland Animations Limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

If you are starting off, It is probably best to learn on an acoustic guitar. True it is slightly more difficult to learn with, but an electric guitar tends to be more forgiving of mistakes, and can cause you to pick up bad habits. It is mush easier to learn from acoustic and change to the electric than vice versa. You can pick up a really nice Fender (DG-11 I believe) for around £120 and it has amazing sound for the price, Yamaha also do a nice sounding guitar for around the same price.
    A really useful site I found was the on-line guitar college http://www.eskimo.com/~ogre/

Redesigned

Advertisement