Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change this stupid law! (RTE story)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BTW Bush is trying to ban ALL online gambling. ALL. And advertising of it.
    Oh please, they account for about 70% of pop-ups.
    At least he might leave behind one useful legacy.

Then maybe we wouldn't get the other 30% of pop-ups, the ones advertising pop-up stoppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Unless we want some kind of totalitarian state, the Government shouldn't try to control victimless activities such as gambling

I agree we are already living in a totalitarian state, civilised drinking by responsible adults in entertianment venues after 1.30am is also under attack by Mcdowell, Bertie and co not just gambling. The slot machines rule doesn`t bother me that much because i dont gamble i actually despise it. However Private gambling pubs have slot machines with higher limits which i have no problem with. Most slot machines where the rule is applicable are located in places where a lot of under 18s are present e.g. Atari Expo. So to an extent the rule doesn`t affect the interests of Sensible gamblers as they can join private clubs if they want to gamble more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I agree we are already living in a totalitarian state, civilised drinking by responsible adults in entertianment venues after 1.30am is also under attack by Mcdowell, Bertie and co not just gambling.

And previous governments have made concerted efforts to stop only-slightly-over-the-limit-but-not-really-impaired, careful, responsible adults from driving home.

They've also threatened adding fat tax to the food that healthy people sometimes like to eat, rubbish tax on slips of paper that many people don't actually treat as rubbish, and so on.

Why only a few years ago, they taxed plastic bags on many non-littering, bag-reusing, ecologically-aware-and-friendly people as well.

You know...if you describe rules only from teh point of view of the people who didn't give rise to a necessity (or a perceived necessity) for a legal change, they'll all sound equally wrong.

jc

Advertisement