Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sterio fitting

Options
  • 30-11-2004 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

hi, gonna buy a headunit online, just wondering if any place fits them when not purchased with them, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Yeah - just ring your local motor store and ask them for a phone number for someone who installs car stereos.

Check the Buy and Sell as well.

I got mine installed for €30 in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Would you not just do it yourself? Takes 10 mins :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'm sure if he thought he could do it himself he would.

well a mate who's currently unavailable to do it said i'll have to rewire lots of crap cos my existing one isnt that standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

An ISO connector is all your going to need there mate, tenner from your local motor store

ok thanks, and then i just wire it up to a guide or something is it? i've wired ethernet cables etc, so is it something similar ?

The stereo comes with instructions. It's just a simple enough connector thingy, no bare wires

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Before you buy the stereo online, do not buy it from the states - it will work over here, however their radios are set up to only tune into uneven increments in the frequency (I got caught out like that).
    This pretty much halves the amount of stations you can tune into properly.
    i.e.
    It can not tune into 103.8, only 103.5, 103.7, 103.9 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

eoin_s wrote:
    Before you buy the stereo online, do not buy it from the states - it will work over here, however their radios are set up to only tune into uneven increments in the frequency (I got caught out like that).
    This pretty much halves the amount of stations you can tune into properly.
    i.e.
    It can not tune into 103.8, only 103.5, 103.7, 103.9 etc

Yeah the same happened me there, one i got in the summer, is there any way to fix that ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

don't listen to the radio? or record the radio at home the day before and listen to it in you car the next day:D

Radio is crap most of the time anyway. Had my aeriel robbed a while ago, ripped off the roof. It was €80 for a new one and I wasnt going to pay that seeing as I was still getting reception and rarely listen to the radio anyway. I now have black duck tape covering the hole in the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

enda_4 wrote:
    Yeah the same happened me there, one i got in the summer, is there any way to fix that ???

There's an adaptor you can buy that you place on the aerial cable at the back of the headunit so the fequency steps are adjusted. They have these adaptors for Jap imports with Jap headunits, I'd imagine it would be a similar set up for US head units.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I found it, you might need one of these boys -

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CCSBEUK

This is for Japanese Frequencies though. I'm don't know if US ones are different again. This will mean that you should be able to get all stations, but the frequency displayed on the head unit will not match up.

Hope this helps,

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dcGT wrote:
    I found it, you might need one of these boys -

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CCSBEUK

This is for Japanese Frequencies though. I'm don't know if US ones are different again. This will mean that you should be able to get all stations, but the frequency displayed on the head unit will not match up.

Hope this helps,

DC.

Japanese radios have a different problem, their FM band is from 76-90 while ours is 87-108 the device above shifts down the frequency to a level the Jap radio can tune to but because our FM band is bigger the unit shifts at different levels that can cause two stations to appear to the radio as being on the same frequency giving interference.

Basically stay away from US and Jap stereos, they are not worth the hassle. Unless of course you hate radio and let's face it there is alot to hate about Irish radio.

I have a jap import, will this make it harder to fit myself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

heggie wrote:
    I have a jap import, will this make it harder to fit myself ?

The jap radio problem only matters if you are using a Japanese head unit.

Hooking up stereos up is pretty simple normally.

There is a standard connector (ISO) on most makes of car that fits directly in with the connector from the head unit.

The only problems will be if the car doesn't have an ISO connector, then you will need an adapter to connect the manufacturer connector to the standard ISO on the stereo.

The other thing you may need is a fascia plate if the hole in the dashboard is non-standard, again a model-specific part may be needed.

ok, cheers for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

If you are buying online check out www.caraudio.ie. i got myselft a new sony mp3 player for €250 and it is between €430 and €450 here in ireland.

Well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I got a CD player/radio in Argos last year for €150 or so. I love it, but wish I'd gone the extra €100 at the time to get one that played mp3s as well as standard CDs. Lots less junk to carry around.

I like the radio - I have RTE1, RnaG, Newstalk, Lyric, Spin and Raidio na Life set on my main six buttons and a bunch of others on my second and third six, then BBC Radio 4 on the AM side, and BBC Radio 5, I think. Wish I could get BBC Radio 3 and the BBC World Service too.

And in summer I often tune in French AM stations and cruise around in the softly-falling rain with my arm out the window and La Mer or Aupres de ma Blonde playing sunnily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

John R wrote:
    Unless of course you hate radio and let's face it there is alot to hate about Irish radio.

That was my first thought, 'til I found out that one thing worse then all the crap Irish radio stations was when you could only get half of them, making your options even worse!

Advertisement