Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK, how do I make my own base number system in VB?

Options
  • 30-11-2004 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

This is the big thing i'm after. I want to be able to define, lets say the characters 0-9 and letters a-z as number, giving me a 36 base number system, if I assign a number to each character in vb, how do I tell it to use them? (Googling this gave me absolutely nothing)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cyberbob

are you ofay ( god knows how you spell that) with creating your own class structrures.
    its a lot of work to build a new number system .
    ( in c++ you can overload the +/-/*// operators ) .
    dont know if you can do that in VB , c++ is my mother tongue .
    even writing a simple add( a, b ) function would be a bitch though .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

could i not edit/expand on a hex code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'm not even sure if this will work... but in c could you not just do the following...
    int main()
    {
    'a'=1;
    'b'=2;
    'c'=3;
    '1'=27;
    '2'=28;
    '3'=29;

rest of code

}

then i suppose you could do stuff like 'a' + 'a' = 'b', and do stuff like that. Not sure if thats what you want, or even if what i said is right though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cyberbob

mp3guy wrote:
    could i not edit/expand on a hex code?
    i would have left well enough alone .
    the only way to expand on an existing type is with a class .
    you cant edit a builtin type .

Post #4, yeah, that's what i want. How in vb do I tell it to convert to and from something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i'm not even sure if this will work... but in c could you not just do the following...
    int main()
    {
    'a'=1;
    'b'=2;
    'c'=3;
    <snip>
    }

no - that won't work.
    'a' is the ascii value of the letter a. It happens to be 97. The above code tells the compiler that
    97 = 1;
    98 = 2;
    etc.
    It will go mental, screaming at you from the rooftops and calling you all the names under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There is a very easy way to do this. I actually wrote one before and it is on this forum*.

The short end of it is...

create a string with '012345679ABCDEF...etc', Each chacters location in the string is its base value. eg A is in the 10th position, F is 15th position. You just then use an instr to determine the value of a character.

* Heh, went looking for it. I posted the same question as a teaser but doesn't appear to have my answer in it. Anyway thats the answer.

thanks, so if vb knows the value of a character, how can i tell it to write numbers in that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

mp3guy wrote:
    thanks, so if vb knows the value of a character, how can i tell it to write numbers in that way?

The reverse way you got it from the string. Instr() = Character to number, mid() = number to character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

kenmc wrote:
    no - that won't work.
    'a' is the ascii value of the letter a. It happens to be 97. The above code tells the compiler that
    97 = 1;
    98 = 2;
    etc.
    It will go mental, screaming at you from the rooftops and calling you all the names under the sun.
    I thought the single quotes meant the letter a, so 'a' was referring to the letter a, not the ascii number that corresponds to a. hrmm, maybe i don't know as much as i thought :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I thought the single quotes meant the letter a, so 'a' was referring to the letter a, not the ascii number that corresponds to a. hrmm, maybe i don't know as much as i thought :p
    It does. sort of. ish. but it's a constant.
    all letters and characters are represented by numbers.
    so you can do stuff like this
    printf("%d\n", 'a');
    you will get 97.
    but if you do
    printf("%c\n", 'a');
    you will get a
    similarly you can do
    printf("%s\n", "a");
    and also get a

It's all about representation really, and making it readable for us mere humans.

Advertisement