Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom and fed up

• 01-12-2004 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

I've been using Eircom Home Plus/Bus starter for nearly a year now and the service seems to be deteriorating rapidly. The first 6 months were fine with absolutely no complains.
    In June we had a fault which took nearly 2 weeks to fix - the connection would stay up for only a few minutes. It turn out to be a hardware problem somewhere on their network.
    Now for about 3 weeks we have a new problem that Eircom seem to be incapable of fixing. The connection stays in sync with the modem but for about 30 seconds every few minutes we are completely blocked from sending or receiving any Internet packets. This naturally causes no end of problems to many applications.
    I know that I am not the only user who has reported this problem on our exchange. Eircom don't seem to treat intermittent problems seriously especially in residential areas. They always assume the error is at the user end and it takes weeks to get them to seriously investigate this type of problem.

Each time you get through to support you have to explain your issue again to someone new. They frequently break promises about returning calls with updates.
    I contacted customer services who were also no help. They told me I had no grounds for a refund. I will have to check this with ComReg.
    I am getting so fed up with Eircom I am considering jumping ship. Would DSL be any better from another company since it would still be Eircom trying to fix these faults? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Interesting ... I'm having similar troubles on Esat ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205318

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

At first I noticed the problem in the browser but it also brings down other apps like Skype and MSN messenger. This is happening every few minutes. It did cross my mind that it was in their interest to annoy VOIP users.
    Try running continuous pings on the Eircom site and you'll see lots of consecutive
    "Request timed out". This happens pinging into my IP from another network too.
    I have a permanently connected router and we aren't getting regularly disconnected. I'll keep the same IP address for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Yup, sounds identical to my problem ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Testing pings tonight and it appears to be fixed. Normal service resumed after 1 month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

This is the same problem as I was experiencing here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202042

I'm still having problems though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

am waiting for my third net topia modem from eircom as the one I have now died. if they are going to charge so much why do they use crap equipment.

Advertisement