Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog has diarrhea .... lovely

Options
  • 01-12-2004 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My dog is suffering from diarrhea... yuk

We usually keep her in the kitchen at night and leave her outside for the daytime but for the last 2 nights she's been skuttering all over the lino and carpet :(

Anybody have any tips on anything I can do with her diet to calm her metabolism down?
    Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What are you feeding her? How old is she? Has she had all her shots? Can she have eaten anything dodgy?

How is she? Anyother symptoms? Stop food for a night see if it will go away - You can always try boiled rice & chicken but I would give her a night without any food first - If it carries on for too long go to the vet!

Hope this helps??

Faye-Bond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Echo above, most important is "Has she got her shots?" if not, get her to the vets pronto.
    If she has, and seems fine in herself, then I would leave her without food for around 12-24 hours (unless she's young/ancient/small breed), just give water, and see if that helps... my two jack russells (1 year old) get occasional bouts of diarrhoea, but I don't bring to the vets unless their mood changes and they get depressed with it. Usually, they've just eaten something dodgy (*sigh* usually faeces).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

thanks for help, she's 10 yrs old now and only a few weeks ago got a shot for booster I think it was. The vet checked the record book while I was there so I suspect shes ok on the shots. I was on dollymount beech a few days ago and found her eating something, not sure what it was, sounded crunchy but its not the first time thats happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

starve her tonight - see if that helps!

It is probably something she ate - if she is still bad after food tomorrow take her to the vet ASAP.

ok thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Even if she is better today, take her to the vet immediately!

She is probably hugely dehydrated by now and may well need IV fluids / electrolyte replacment.

My god, last night was the worst in living memory. The kitchen is divided into 2 sections, lino and carpet. We put the dog and her bed into the lino section and put a few chairs so as to baracade her in and to make sure she did not go and skutter all over the carpet. Get this, somehow last night, she jumped over the chairs, opened the kitchen door by herself ????? and came upstairs and skuttered all over the landing outside my bedroom. I woke up at 3am to hear footsteps (taught it was my parents) but I did never expect to see my poor dog.

Anyway, my parents took her to the vet this morning. She got an injection and tablets to take, and also some easily digestible tined foods. I'm really hoping this will sort her out. If she's still upset in the morning, we've to bring her back to the vet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Is there blood in it? Bloody runny faeces generally indicates distemper. She'll need to be put down, I'm afraid, if that is what is the matter.

edit: didn't see you last post. Presumably the vet would have been able to diagose that so no worries. Less worries anyway.

Distemper would be unlikely in a vaccinated dog. And if she was at the vets, he will have checked for dehydration. A good way to check at home is the pinch test, simply pinch a fold of skin on the back of the neck, if it stays pinched, the dog is dehydrated. It should take no longer than 1 sec (roughly) for the skin to spring back healthily.
    Had to laugh at the skuttering all over the landing, I can confidently say "been there, done that" (Well.. my dog did, not me...lol). My poor old girl has a digestive disorder which causes her to be unable to digest very fatty foods, so she's on Hills Science plan. One day we take her for a run around my parents garden, which is 3 acres of enclosed gardens. So, we let her wander around for the day. Turns out she found an old leg of lamb that my parents had left out for the foxes, plus all the gravy. She ate the whole damn thing. We didn't know about it until the next morning when we went downstairs to see the most enormous piles of fatty squit all over the carpet... the smell was the worst I have ever smelled in my entire life, nothing could ever compare to this. I swear, the smell punched us in the gut as we walked out of the bedroom...
    She had to be starved for a day or two... and with good cause...
    Anyway, glad to hear your dog is on the road to recovery.... let us know how you get on...

lol dtu :)

so far so good, last night was the first time she was ok

• Advertisement

Good stuff... you gotta love anti-biotics for digestive troubles.. usually fixes them right up.

Advertisement