Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Of Persia [Warrior Within]

Options
  • 01-12-2004 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I just played the demo of the latest one, dear god what have they done to it? It's become what can only be described as a "stroppy teenager" of a game; dark, moody, the Prince has become some buffed up moody guy, and even has a "rawk" soundtrack... dear god ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, I hear it doesn't have the character of the first game, but retains the playability. Its about 4 hours longer too, which is a good thing. And its a pity you have to turn down the music during the fight scenes.... the fight music from Sands of Time was amazing.

I'll still buy it, though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

I dunno, apparently the full game is more fighting orientated, less puzzles; feels very DeusEx2 compared to "Sands" DeusEx1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer apparently because the first game didnt sell as well as they had hoped (release of other big games at the time blamed by others) the developers figured they had done something wrong (which they hadnt!) .

Thats why this game is so different compared to the first :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 baxterfly

yeh i heard its drenched in blood. but apparently the fighting is the strongest element of it this time. its supposedly much more sastisfying dismembering the new demon enemies rather than focussing on the dagger aspect of the sand creatures from the first game. also theres no respawning of enemies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The eurogamer review is out. They liked it but say its a bit disappointing compared to the original. I'll be buying it. There's also swearing. Uh, matron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Play.com shipped it on Monday... which was nice of them... too bad their deliveries have started taking the best part of two weeks to get here lately...

Oh.. and at least this time I can get it on the Gamecube at launch.. that was stupid that limited exclusivity thing... I bought both Sands of Time and Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2, even though I'd rather have had them on the Gamecube.

lol, I never mentioned the generic scantily clad "time bitch"
    I think penny-arcade sums it (and the game) nicely
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-12-03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

rofl.."i smolder with generic rage!"
    Best. line. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Game is a pile of crap. That is possibly the best way i can sum it up.
    The fixed view point of the camera is super annoying.
    The character animations and locations look worse than the last game, which is a joke in
    itself. The fighting system is also crap. Im writing this review and i still dont know how
    the **** they could go from such a brilliant game in prince of persia to this ...
    Its like as if they asked everyone what they loved about the first game and then
    changed every single one of them. Adding lots of blood and a bird with feck all clothes
    on who wears a thong and is the leader of loads of undead people doesnt make a
    shagging good game.
    The game can be summed up by one word - drivel !
    Granted im being harsh on the game, but considering the platform they had to build on
    with the first game, they made a serious **** up with the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I played an incomplete version at the Playstation Experience and reeaally fúcked up things were going on.

That said, no, I don't think I'll be getting this. Wasn't too impressed by the last game and I have enough to play as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

okay, i was deciding wether to get this or 'sands of time' but the reviews and this particular thread (including that penny arcade site, which had me laughing my ass off :D ) seem very convincing about the new game being poo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

sucks balls that does
    i'll get the game anyway, but its sad that it wont be nearly as good
    (the graphics are good though)

rock music sucks
    and the music on pes4 sucks too

eyerer wrote:
    sucks balls that does

rock music sucks
    and the music on pes4 sucks too
    uhhhhh if you know that it's going to suck, then why buy it? it doesn't occur to you that so long as people buy 'Xtreme' games, they'll keep making them like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

eyerer wrote:

Dont, waste of money imho.
    Graphics arent that great either from the 10-15mins ive played.
    Water effects are good but thats about it, rest looks poor.
    Only thing that had me playing that long was the fantastic cut scenes, pity the
    game itself blows.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh well. I'm still stuck in the original, at a crappy 14% (I can't get past the fight with my Dad - arrrghhh!) so I won't need to pick this up.

Ah.. I got it today...

It's still pretty good.. once you turn the blood and the music off.

It doesn't get good untill you get a bit inside the fortess and travel back in time to a point were the fortress wasn't a wreck... all the traps don't work on your way in and when you go back in time they are all brand new and completely deadly... which is a nice touch.

It is very off putting at first as there are a few really annoying battles very near the beginning... but if you keep with it you are soon back into puzzle territory and the battles even seem to become more satisfying too.. although are perhaps still too many of them.

The graphics really are lovely, even nicer than first (although I am playing it on the GameCube this time around) Although, the graphics go horribly grainy if you walk into anywhere with alot of shadows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I loved Sands of Time, but I think the criticisms are uncalled for, it might look different and changed in terms of characters etc but its just as playable as Sands of Time and is alot better than most of the sh!te thats being coming out over the last few months.

I think it's great... it takes a while for the game to settle into a nice pace... but it's really good when it does... It adds alot of great stuff that wasn't in the first game and takes alot of good influences from other great games.

When that big monster starts chasing you about the place it's really good fun. It's just like Resident Evil: Nemesis, except with decent fluid controls.

And the whole cause and effect thing is great... you change something in the fortress in the past and it's lets you get past a section in the future.

It's also a little bit like Metroid. In that as you learn new abilities you can go back to places you've already been to get to extra places.

And there are these Ninja women that attack you... and it's great fun when you have to fight one of them while balancing on a narrow beam of wood.

And you can pick up any of the bad guys weapons.. just like in Zelda: the Windwaker.

And it really is a very Ico style fortress that you are in...

Oh and the lovely Monica Beluci lends her vocal cords to one of the characters... too bad it's so hard to hear her over the HORRIBLE MUSIC!!!

And I still think the blood was a stupid idea... I mean either the bad guys are made of sand or they're not... I played for about 10 minutes with the blood turned on and then I switched it off...

uhhhhh if you know that it's going to suck, then why buy it? it doesn't occur to you that so long as people buy 'Xtreme' games, they'll keep making them like that?

who said i was going to buy it?
    besides theres so few games that interest me, its hard to turn down one that remotely interests me

about the cause and effect thing, was there any game before zelda lll that had that?

eyerer wrote:
    who said i was going to buy it?
    ah... I see
    warezmonkey.jpg

• Advertisement

or maybe i was going to play at a friends house?

Surrrrre, "friends" ;)

Well, I completed Warrior Within yesterday. And overall I'd have to say it is a better game than the sands of time. It adds so much more to the gameplay of the original. And doesn't have any of those annoying 10 minute long battles with respawning enemies. Although overall this is a much tougher game to play. But the boss battles are particularly satisfying.

It is a good deal longer than Sands of Time too, but a large chunk of this length is added artificially as there is a lot of backtracking over areas that you have already visited. But usually this areas have changed in some way since the last time you were there.

One thing that I found was that it got a little bit buggy towards the, one part in particular drove me nuts where you had to run and jump accross a series of collapsing platforms, make one wrong move and you fall to your death and have to go way, way back to retry. Not a problem if you've got the sands of time right? Well, yes... sometimes the rewinding process wouldn't reassemble platforms that had just colapsed.

sometimes the rewinding process wouldn't reassemble platforms that had just colapsed.

that sucks

and i just realised how much that monkey looks like me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Been playing it solidly over the last few days. Now trying to
    activate those damn towers, and wondering how the hell to get through the gardens in the past to that end

I like it, a lot. It's very fighting heavy at the start, but once you start time-travelling the puzzles kick in in a very big way (although the fighting doesn't slow up much), and I don't know how it's possible, but the ingenuity of design they put into areas forcing you to do really daft acrobatics is even better than the last one.
    The new fighting moves and tricks are really rather nifty, and very necessary. You get swamped by enemies sometimes, and throwing a few of them away or doing a spinny trick buys you some very needed breathing space. I find the fighting very, very fun, and just love running up a wall, doing a backflip, landing between two foes and slicing them both in two with one swing, or spinning round a pole and kicking everyone in the face.

My biggest gripe was the camera. It just doesn't seem as responsive as the last one, and occasionally gets in the way something fierce. And occasionally, yes there's a wee bug in the system like Monkeyfudge mentioned. On the other hand, there seem to be an awful lot more save points, and this time round they replenish your health to boot.

I can't say I found the music bad at all, are you sure you're playing the same game? If I recall, Sands Of Time ALSO had rocky metal music with an eastern flavour to it...

Go on, get it. You'll like it. You can stab me if you don't*.

*This is a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sarky wrote:
    I can't say I found the music bad at all, are you sure you're playing the same game? If I recall, Sands Of Time ALSO had rocky metal music with an eastern flavour to it...
    sweet jesus it sucks!

the game itself is pretty damn good once you mute the music though.
    shame about the grainy gamecube graphics :(
    i'm seriously considering buying an xbox purely for the multiformat titles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

the rock music takes away the fairytale feel from the first one. the rock music only really works on one or 2 boss fights. Graphics look lovely on xbox version but the GC version is suppose to be the best all-round version according to Gamespot

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Playing the cube version at the moment, and I'm loving it (Metroid Prime 2 and Paper Mario 2 are on hold until I finish it!). Music definitely isn't as good as the first one. Sands of time was mainly eastern music with a rock tint. Warrior within is mainly rock music with an eastern tint (and is much worse because of it).

Advertisement