Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc in Applied Computing Degree

Options
  • 01-12-2004 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Any past grads of this degree here?

I garduated in 2002, working in Dublin atm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Yep, I just finished it this year. I made extra work for myself, failed 1st year so it took me 5 years. But got there in the end. I thought I'd never make it through AI this year though, nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Kalina wrote:
    I thought I'd never make it through AI this year though, nightmare!

Did you have Lacey? It makes the subject much more harder than it actually is! Do you know Paul Nolan? Think he would have been in your year.

Yes, I had Lacey not only for AI but as my project supervisor aswell which was a traumatic experience. Luckily for me the project idea was something that actaul held his attention so he didn't humiliate us too badly in front of the class on a regular basic.
    I was in Paul's class in 1st yr then fell back a yr. Caught up with him in 4th yr again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

2002? You were in my class so! Who are you?

pwd wrote:
    2002? You were in my class so! Who are you?

sent you pm pwd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yep.. I hold the coveted BSc. Applied Computing lol..
    It took me the 4 years to realise I didnt want to do anything computery. Im off asap to do a postgrad in teaching. Im gonna work 9-3 forever!

Trotter wrote:
    Im off asap to do a postgrad in teaching. Im gonna work 9-3 forever!

Was thinking about doing that myself alright - dont think Id have the patience to go back to college again though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Gratuated in 2000. AI was the worst subject in 4th year and Comp Graphics with Paul Barry was easily the best/easiest.

Dacelonid wrote:
    Gratuated in 2000. AI was the worst subject in 4th year and Comp Graphics with Paul Barry was easily the best/easiest.

Yeah Paul's elective was nice and handy alright.

Do you know Ruth O Connor? She would have graduated in that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Graduated '98 - Apple Mac Programming elective (assume that doesn't exist anymore?)

• Advertisement

Graduated '98 - Apple Mac Programming elective (assume that doesn't exist anymore?)

It did exist up until 2 years ago when I graduated anyway - not sure about now.

Did you have Brendan Jackman for it? I had him for a few subjects over the 4 years and I worked on a project for him for my final year project too - sound man Brendan!

I think there was about 6 people who did his elective - they all came out with fairly high results too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yeah I did have Brendan for it - turned out to be a tough enough subject though (compared to some of the other electives) - but taught good programming skills and of course it was all about Mac :)

It doesn't exist, there are new electives since 2003- TSSG and the car engine programming elective under Brendan. I think it's called Automotive software development or something like that.

Kalina wrote:
    It doesn't exist, there are new electives since 2003- TSSG and the car engine programming elective under Brendan. I think it's called Automotive software development or something like that.

YEAH? Thats deadly!

I did my final year project for Brendan - made an ECU for a car engine - Brendan is an excellent lecturer and supervisor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Trotter wrote:
    Yep.. I hold the coveted BSc. Applied Computing lol..
    It took me the 4 years to realise I didnt want to do anything computery. Im off asap to do a postgrad in teaching. Im gonna work 9-3 forever!
    you wish, all new teachers are on crapp* sub jobs so you'll never get in anywhere, there are way 2 many. If you graduate you will end up supervising brats at your old secondary school, that's a promise. He! He!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

JCB wrote:
    you wish, all new teachers are on crapp* sub jobs so you'll never get in anywhere, there are way 2 many. If you graduate you will end up supervising brats at your old secondary school, that's a promise. He! He!

:) Im keepin my options open.. Ive already done secondary and primary teaching so Im going to do a postgrad in either.

JCB wrote:

My girlfriend graduated this year and she walked into a top private school teaching job. I graduated 2 and a half years ago and she's on just as good money as me... and doing about half the hours as me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Levi25

I graduated in 2001

anyone graduate then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

Graduated in 2001 from Commercial Software Development and had mates on the applied computing course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gary h

I was in this course in 2000/01 and left after first year.

I found the delivery of the course pretty poor and the way that a certain course co-ordinator ran the course to be extremely degrading, i mean people in the class were all over 18, mostly more about the 20 mark and their parents would get a letter saying they were missing classes. disgraceful.

I went elsewhere and had the time of my life and got a diploma and just finished my degree in mutimedia systems at IADT - really really really enjoyed my time there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement