Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir Harry Secombe is dead

Options
  • 12-04-2001 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

A much loved entertainer, an excellent comedian, actor, singer and television presenter - best known to some for his portrayal of Neddie Seegoon in The Goon Show, to others for his operatic outbursts on Songs of Praise, Swansea born Sir Harry Secombe has died of prostate cancer, after earlier suffering a stroke at the age of 79.

_439110_secombe_300.jpg
    Sir Harry Secombe, Sep 8th 1921 - Apr 11th 2001. Rest in Peace, Ned of Wales.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 12-04-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

frown.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Indeed - sorry to the him go - I wasn't much into Song of Praise smile.gif but the Goons was classic stuff!

I remember Songs of Praise was always on after Bullseye! My Mum (being a church Musician) always watched it!

RIP Harry!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

According to a posting on alt.fan.goons (which is always a good place to pop into for a bit of mindless foolery and anarchy), the BBC are airing a special tribute to the man on (Easter) Sunday night at 10.20pm on BBC 1. ( Note: I see no actual confirmation of this on the BBC site anywhere but it'd obviously be a last minute change... 10.20 on Sunday seems likely as they can just chop the Clint Eastwood movie they've got scheduled smile.gif )

Some links which may be of interest:

http://www.goonshow.org.uk/
    http://www.comedyzone.beeb.com/comedy/bestof/features/goonshow/

Bard

"and there was much rejoicing..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I grew up listening to The Goons. One of the funniest series ever. Sorry to see a great man go...

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

There was a Parkinson interview with the members of the goon show on BBC two today. Can’t say I grew up listening to the goon show but from what I heard it was very funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement