Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line fails eircom BB test - any way around this??

• 01-12-2004 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've had ripwave for a few weeks now and to be honest it's pretty crap - up and down like a bloody lift. averaging about 6kbyte when it's up. in fact i'd say it averages even less than that. Anyway.
    Looking to get one of the BB/fone line options, but eircom says the line is "not compatible". However the house (actually business) next door passes (I got their number and tested it on the web). The muppet on the sales line didnt have enough vocab to explain to me why it was that the house next door could pass, and mine would fail. Said I should call 1901 and get a tech out, but it'd cost money and the tech could tell me that the fone line was fine, just "not compatible".
    Has anyone else experienced this issue and had it resolved????
    Unfortunately the NTL BB is not available in Dundrum yet :o(
    Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Kenmc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It could be internal wiring in your house or equipment that you've connected. Try to simplify everything. Start off by unplugging anything you don't need, like wireless phones, Sky box, alarm. Once you've passed the test you can put everything back again. Try to get rid of long cable loops in the house if you can, like disconnect extension sockets. The line test is over-sensitive so even though it fails with some of the above, RADSL will work just fine with it connected.

You could also consider IBB's fixed wireless solutions which tend to work well, like the Breeze stuff. Requires an aerial of course.

Advertisement