Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Attack

Options
  • 01-12-2004 11:44am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

My firewall gave me a message last nite that someone was trying to access one of my ports.
    Now a few questions, even with my firewall can they get in, also can I trace these guys and can I return the favour as in get software that will hammer their IP address with crap as a thank you gift??

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

as long as you keep your software updated, should be alright - like you said it stopped it. as for tracing, i know that some firewall software does offer information about the attacking ip and tracks it to some degree.
    my advise though get used to it, it happens alot but once its stopped or blocked , no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

And I wouldnt reciprocate the favour. The IP address you could be hammering with crap might not necessarily be the actual individual that was portscanning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

..... or, more likely, the machine belongs to an unsuspecting dimwit who hasn't kept up to date with security patches and is now firmly in the clutches of the spamming fraternity.

As to responding in kind, that's illegal. Two wrongs an' all that.....

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

yop wrote:
    Lads

My firewall gave me a message last nite that someone was trying to access one of my ports.
    Now a few questions, even with my firewall can they get in, also can I trace these guys and can I return the favour as in get software that will hammer their IP address with crap as a thank you gift??

cheers

It's a constant on broadband. You may get used to it. So long as your firewall is stopping it you have no problem. However, if they really want in then your firewall won't stop them. Reciprocating in kind is illegal and a waste of time.

Important. If there is anything on your PC you don't want to let anyone know, you better stay off-line. There is no security. The tighter the security the bigger the challenge. Ask NASA, or Ebay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lads, advice taken

• Advertisement
Advertisement