Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car advice needed

Options
  • 01-12-2004 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

At the start I must apologise for this being a very girly post!

I currently have a 1998 Renault Megane Coupe - and a bad back, which isn't helped by the low seats. It's also a 1.6 litre which means my car tax is more than my insurance (having 70% ncb thankfully).

I'd like a new/or up to 2 years car, which looks (how girly) which looks modern and suits a 30 year old female.

I don't want a supermini or a 1 ltr jobbie. Something up to 1.4. No need for baby seats or storage (unless I meet Mr Right very soon!). Am fond of gadgets

I also do next to no mileage - less than 5k a year.

Budget flexible -up to 25k.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

First off I know you're going to hate me for suggesting another 1.6 - but have a look at the new Mini, my wife (around the same age) has one and loves it to bits. Really nice car, all the toys.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gav1n

ok lady! :) It looks like you're after something a lil sporty and stylish! And with that kinda money to spend there's plenty of good choices out there!

Here's a few i'd reccommend....

Ford Puma - 1.4 I'm pretty sure that Ford has ceased producing these babies, but keep an eye out for a low mileage 01 or 02 spend around 12-15k yoyos! BARGAIN! It'll get ya plenty of looks from the fellas and we'll wanna get in your passenger seat just as much as your knickers! :P Anyways.... great lil sporty coupe, drove one a few times and loved it! Nippy free reving engine, great handling, the driver's seat is height adjustable and very comfortable! I love these cars! Try one and you'll buy one!

*New* Volkswagon Golf - 1.4 Comfort line. Yours for about 22 grand. I'd never buy a brand new car, but if you're going to, I reckon this is the best 1.4 on the market at the moment. Only drove the new Golf once, but sadly it was'nt a 1.4. I drove the 1.6 and thought it was great, teeny tiny bit sluggish, so i'd say the 1.4 won't be for you if you're a girl racer! But again, the seats and comfort level on this second to none. Plus it's a volkswagon, and you'll be the envy of all your neighbours! You're such a snob cow! :)

Can't really think of many more decent 1.4 litre cars, keep an eye out for the 3 door New Opel Astra, and the Focus.

Have you ever considered going up a few CCs to maybe a 1.6?

If so... u might wanna consider the Hyundai Coupe 1.6 FX (Stylish but bumpyish ride) but more so, try pick up a 03 Audi a3, damn sexy lil hatch back and crafted from 24 carrot gold, well as good as! Hope i was of some help! Adios! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

with that money get a merc coupe.....the girlish one:p

i dont know the cc, but its a damn fine car.........*thinks of getting sex change*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You can buy my MX-5 and VRT it, with lots of cash spare.

Girly enough, but it's a 1.8i + getting in/out will exercise you back ;)

No toys (aside from ragtop), but boy will you get looks :D - only one of its kind in Dublin (or even Ireland, me thinks)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

How about a Fiat Stilo 3 door. They're available new as a 1.4 or 2nd hand as a 1.2. The 1.2 has more power than a 1.4 litre Golf or Focus. The Stilo comes with some nice gadgets and has others as optional extras. Car also looks very well (IMHO) esp. in a strong bright colour and with a set of 16 inch alloys. One concern I would have about buying a new Stilo would be depreciation. And if buying a 2nd hand one I'd be concerned about reliability.

Then there's the brand new Citroen C4 - anyone know when it's coming out. The 3 door C4 looks well and the car is very modern and a bit different from the usual Golf/Astra fare.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Dont forget to buy a tow truck with the stilo

How about a new model Corolla Strata Alloys, side skirts, front/back skirts ,blue upolstry

A very nice looking 3 door

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My proposal is conflicting with two of your restrictions, query:
    query wrote:
    Something up to 1.4

With your no claims bonus, your sex and age you are not stuck to the smallest engined cars. You do a very low mileage, so tax is the only thing to worry about. With your budget, the tax difference between a 1.4 and a bigger engined car is nothing compared to finance / depreciation
    query wrote:
    I'd like a new/or up to 2 years car

Why not get a car that looks as new as most brand new cars, is girly, extremely stylish and presentable, open top to boot. There can be only one:

Mercedes 200/230 SLK :cool:

593081_7_full.jpg

Your budget should get you a '00 230 or a '99 200 (note the better, faster, more expensive when new 230 is cheaper than the 200 second hand - only in Ireland :rolleyes: ). Further depreciation will be glacial. Make sure to get leather / auto

Give it a serious thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Know it's above your engine size limit, but if the back is really a problem, I hear saabs have really comfy seats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Just keep the megane and stop whinging.

So what if your tax is dearer than your insurance? What is it 400E? 1.4 cras are ****. The new golf 1.4 is like 75 mulepower. if your only doing 5000 miles a yr, why would you even bother taxing the yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It would be ever so polite, query, to respond to suggestions made to you on this thread...

• Advertisement
Advertisement