Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs - Liverpool (will contain score)

• 01-12-2004 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Away from the Arsenal - Man Utd reserves there's a proper game of cup football tonight.:D

Okay Stevie G will be rested and Dukek starts as will Biscan and Nunez but I think Benitez will want to try and win this and the Cup as its a UEFA Cup banker if nothing else.

No doubt Jol with field the strongest team he can so I think it'l be a strongly contested game.

Guess - Spurs 1 2 Liverpool (after extra time).

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

This on tv anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not that i can see, but if anyone figures out if it is or not, let me know!

i think its interesting that gerrard is being rested. i am not sure if liverpool have the depth in midfield without him.
    will go for a home win by the odd goal in 3 :)

i think its interesting that gerrard is being rested. i am not sure if liverpool have the depth in midfield without him.
    will go for a home win by the odd goal in 3 :)
    Course we do - he's only just back from injury and while he was away central midfield wasn't a major problem for us like it has been in previous seasons when either himself or Hamann have picked up knocks.

I suppose Warnock will be starting, hopefully Partridge will feature heavily. We don't have much options if Mellor is rested but I'd rather do without then put him up against spurs. Maybe Diao's last game before getting chucked at Christmas and Biscan will most likely feature too.

Also Nunez could do with the time on the pitch, so I'd expect him to start. Should be a very interesting starting 11 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The story from Liverpool seems to be that Gerrard is not playing because they cant risk him getting injured. I think the game is low priority for Benitez and therefore I'd guess there'll be a lot more rested. I'd be particularly surprised if Hamann, Alonso or Hyypia played. I'd predict:

Dudek in goal

Finnan - Henchoz - Whitbread - Traore at the back. If Djimi's not fit, then Riise or less likely Carra (with Zak going to left full) to come in.

Nunez - Biscan - Potter - Diao - Warnock in midfield. Or Sinama to come in if he's fit.

And Mellor up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I cant find details of the Liverpool squad for this game anywhere, but I do see that Mark Smyth and Robbie Foy (both strikers cum wingers) have been called up into the first team squad for the first time. Further evidence that an experimental team is most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

excellent well good or bad result i would rather see out young players in action if been noticing that the players who give us the most trouble in matches seem to be young english players coming through rather than superstars like Henry etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

the squad travelled down to london yesterday and the only established senior players included were biscan and diao. Benitez wasn't announcing the team to the players until today(about now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think it may be on Setanta, not certain do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

irish1 wrote:

Please, please, please, please...

Reckon this will be tight as a gnat's chuff, but Spurs to win 2-1, possibly in ET.

Not on Setanta.

Setanta TV schedule

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

irish1 wrote:
    Setanta is not launching until January so it is only showing stuff on Saturday's and Sunday's until then. When January comes it will go full time. Its on Five Live anyway.
    the squad travelled down to london yesterday and the only established senior players included were biscan and diao.
    Are you sure? Every bit of media seems to think both teams will be fairly stong. Liverpool have had a lot more senior players than Biscan and Diao at the other Carling cup matches so I don't see why there'll be less playing a premiership team in the QF's.

well from talking to somebody on the coach as they were travelling down to london that was all that was there. Unless they were maybe going down later that day or today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eirebhoy wrote:
    Its on Five Live anyway.

Not quite, I belive its only on FiveLive extra (or whatever they call it)

this link might work tonight - http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream_sportsextra_int.ram

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

ianomccabe wrote:
    well from talking to somebody on the coach as they were travelling down to london that was all that was there. Unless they were maybe going down later that day or today?
    I guarantee Dudek will be there.

5live are doing the manu v arsenal match, so tis possible its 5live extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

On five live extra, starting coverage at 7:45.

Will go for an away win by a couple, SFP to get one of them.

Liverpool team:

Dudek, Raven, Warnock, Henchoz, Whitbread, Biscan, Diao, Nunez, Potter, Mellor, Pongolle.

Subs - Kirkland, Welsh, Smyth, Foy, Partridge.

Spurs team:

P Robinson, N Pamarot, A Gardner, L King, T Atouba, R Ricketts, M Brown, M Carrick, R Ziegler, F Kanoute, R Keane

Subs: M Fulop, N Naybet, M Pedro Mendes, J Redknapp, J Defoe

Thats a very decent side in the circumstances, howver Spurs are clearly going for it!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Nunez will hardly play the full game. So Partridge should get a run... maybe?

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote:
    Nunez will hardly play the full game. So Partridge should get a run... maybe?
    Looking at the bench I think Partridge will be the first off it so should get about 30 mins. Welsh and the others have a lot more time to prove themselves so Partridge should get a bit of time tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Stronger than expected squad from Spurs there. I can't see Liverpool winning with all the kids they have out. Hope I'm wrong though.

I guarantee Dudek will be there.

well i was only talkin outfield, think it was obvious that dudek was gonna start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

ianomccabe wrote:
    well i was only talkin outfield, think it was obvious that dudek was gonna start
    Well you were still wide of the mark, seeing as Henchoz was there as well. And I would consider Pongolle as an established senior player at this stage seeing as he has been there or there abouts even before the injury problems.

henchoz who has started how many games under benitez?
    you answered your own question there about pongolle. there or thereabouts doesn't constitute established. I was talking about the fact that some aspects of the media were thinking gerrard would play to get matches etc. I found out the squad monday and just thought i'd share the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

sounds like a bit of a dismal game. spurs should be down to ten by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

1-0 spurs (defoe) 2nd half of extra time

DeFoe has scored and Ritchie Partridge is on.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Kanoute hand-ball!

A peno, Pongolle to take 4 mins to go and its a goal!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Peno to Liverpool -

Pongolle steps up

And he scores!!

Biscan is injured is there no end....? They may need him to take a peno.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Dudek saves from Kanoute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Robinson saves from Potter!
    Brown does a Baggio on the next one.

Penos:

Defoe ... scores! ... 1-0

Henchoz ... scores! ... 1-1

Carrick ... scores! ... 2-1

Partridge ... scores! ... 2-2

Kanoute ... SAVE ... 2-2

Potter ... SAVE ... 2-2

Brown ... OVER ... 2-2

Welsh ... scores! ... 2-3

Zeigler ... scores! ... 3-3

Pongolle ... scores! ... 3-4

• Advertisement

spurs 1--1 liverpool (Henchoz)

spurs 2--2 liverpool (partridge)

spurs miss---miss liverpool

spurs miss---3 liverpool (welch)

spurs 3--4 liverpool (Pongolle)

We win! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

yes ...

bring on ... rrmmmm watford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

The 'pool go through 4-3 on penos - Pongolle with the winner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

cant belive that ! with all those youngsters on the pitch

I'd have prefered Chelsea! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    I'd have prefered Chelsea! :D

Mike.
    Should be odds on to meet in the final. Good to see its 2 legs, hopefully the Irish start both. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

not really surprised that liverpool won it in the end, spurs are having their usual season, looking good for a bit then being woefull. They should find a nice 5 aside league somewhere to play in, it would suit their "style" better.

It's great that the reserves / youngsters will get another 2 matches in the semi's :) They'll really have to be up for it to beat Watford though, not being patronising but it'll mean a lot more then them.

It'll be Chelsea in the final. United will do the same tactic as Liverpool, putting out their younger players and 2nd team whereas Chelsea don't really have what could be considered weaker players (do they?).

agree with you there pete,
    i believe this tie will be harder to come through than any of the previous ones due to the fact that watford will be fighting for their life as it is a great chance for them. Lets hope for a pool chelsea final!

shocking result. but there you go. the worst of spurs tonight. i really am reminded of chelsea of the 90's. go from brilliant to utter rubbish in the space of a game.

good luck to the pool.

p.pete wrote:
    It's great that the reserves / youngsters will get another 2 matches in the semi's :) They'll really have to be up for it to beat Watford though, not being patronising but it'll mean a lot more then them.

It'll be Chelsea in the final. United will do the same tactic as Liverpool, putting out their younger players and 2nd team whereas Chelsea don't really have what could be considered weaker players (do they?).

if chelsea have weak players, then they are probably in the 5th reserve team, are all internationals anyway, and are probably all about 14.
    :)

you know, if ihad all that money, i wouldnt waste it on a football team like chelsea. id buy cambridge united or someone like that :)

you know, if ihad all that money, i wouldnt waste it on a football team like chelsea. id buy cambridge united or someone like that :)
    Veering gently off topic but apparently he has more money now then when he started investing in Chelsea, so it's not hurting the pocket.

Definitely I'd do something with the likes of Cambridge, far more rewarding. Myrthyr Tydfill - that's my dream :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya the feckers got 7,5 billion up 2 billion from last year so 100 million on a football team hasn’t hurt him in the slightest

The semis are'nt til Mid Jan I think, so I would expect Liverpool to put out a decent side esp if the league form is'nt looking to hot.

Mike.

Advertisement