Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad Habits?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

ambro25 wrote:
    5th gear at 25 mph? :eek: I bet the guy's sucking twice as much petrol to get the engine to output the torque to cope with the demultiplication.

Nah, it's a 1l yaris and quite happily slots into 5th at 25 though in fairness it is usually closer to 30 before I change up, though I know it can easily go in at 25. Any lower than that though and you really need to press hard to get it to accelerate up to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

bp_me wrote:
    Nah, it's a 1l yaris and quite happily slots into 5th at 25 though in fairness it is usually closer to 30 before I change up, though I know it can easily go in at 25. Any lower than that though and you really need to press hard to get it to accelerate up to 30.

My point exactly... The 'harder' you press, the more fuel you use when over-geared! e.g. fuel consumption with 'hard press' in 5th at 1,250/1,500 remp (25mph) > fuel consumption with 'soft press' in 3rd at 2,500/3,000 rpm (25 mph). All to do with fuel/air ratio calculated by engine chip, but I'm not going to start a class on stoechiometry here :rolleyes:

ambro25 wrote:
    My point exactly... The 'harder' you press, the more fuel you use when over-geared! e.g. fuel consumption with 'hard press' in 5th at 1,250/1,500 remp (25mph) > fuel consumption with 'soft press' in 3rd at 2,500/3,000 rpm (25 mph). All to do with fuel/air ratio calculated by engine chip, but I'm not going to start a class on stoechiometry here :rolleyes:
    My point is that you dont have to press hard at 25 or so mph, or at least in my case.

bp_me wrote:
    Any lower than that though and you really need to press hard to get it to accelerate up to 30.
    bp_me wrote:
    My point is that you dont have to press hard at 25 or so mph, or at least in my case.

:confused:

Clearly I should clarify.

In my experience, the engine doesn't like when you try to accelerate from ~20mph in fifth, but there is no issue when accelerating from ~25mph.

Also http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=+Stoichiology. Did you mean something else when you said
    I'm not going to start a class on stoechiometry here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=+Stoichiology. Did you mean something else when you said
    Different spelling, but his spelling is valid:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=+stoichiometry

seamus wrote:
    Different spelling, but his spelling is valid:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=+stoichiometry
    Typical, I look up what he said, and I pick the wrong word to look up from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

well that didn't take long.. i have my driving test on the 17th January:D

If anyone is applying to a have a test.. then DEFFINITELY include a letter from your employer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I almost fail when I took my test cos I took every turns and corners too tight, that what I was told anyway so that got to be my worst! I'm used to cutting thru corners!

other than that I have lots and lots of bad habit which I manage not too do during the test, things like driving with one hand and not griping the wheel, sending SMS or reading it, looking out the window when I see a nice girl :), driving at high rev thru the gears most the time except if I'm in traffic, never use the hand break when I stop at a hill, and I bet theres alot more I couldnt think of right now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

newband wrote:
    I know that the way I drive now that I would probably fail. For instance, I use the clutch incorrectly according to the department of transport. Those bastards!!

When coming to lights or anywhere I have to stop. I don't come down gear by gear. But I’m working on this bad habit.

Practice taking your foot away from the clutch - there may be a foot rest to the side or on the floor - if you hover over it you will end up "riding" it and you can wear out a clutch very fast that way. Re coming down the gears - not necessary as long as you don't freewheel. At all times you must be in control by either being in gear or braking with the pedal (or have the hand brake on when stopped) When I was doing lessons it was drive it up - if the lights changed you weren't supposed to guage your gear changes so that you would creap up to the lights an be in second when they changed. You were to drive up and not delay the traffic behind you. If this means being in fourth and then pressing in the clutch and the brake at the same time fine - remember handbrake on and THEN out of gear (then foot off clutch and relax)

looking over your shoulder when starting (always)
    looking behind you over your shoulder when reversing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I've never read a more elementary conversation about driving before, why is it that some people just haven't got a feel for it and others do? I learned from watching my dad. What can people who have problems driving do better than people who can drive? Or is this conversation just to pedantic and most people find driving easy?

As regard the the test, play it by the book and only use the information that's given to you by qualified sources, don't go by what Billy down the pub told you is definItely right. Whether you get the test or not still seems to be down to the flip of a coin, you'd think people would brush up on the driving ablity after waiting a year to sit the thing.

Good Luck!

Fabritzo wrote:
    why is it that some people just haven't got a feel for it and others do?

Different (e.g. individual) levels of motor skills? (motor as in limb or hand/eye co-ordination, for instance).
    Fabritzo wrote:
    What can people who have problems driving do better than people who can drive? Or is this conversation just to pedantic and most people find driving easy?

Don't get the question, sorry: if they have problems, are they not ipso facto precluded from doing anything better than those who don't?

Don't know about 'easy' - depends on one's attitude to the exercise, I'd say: i.e. the more 'important' you consider it, in terms of responsibility when in control of a vehicle, the less 'easy' it is...

Advertisement