Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hl2 Map contest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Yeah, i saw that.. i'll try and rig something up when i get a chance to look at the new SDK :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

If they offered a 500th place prize, I might be tempted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'll try and make one aswell. Need to download the SDK though, on ISDN.

Feck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

is there going to be a redist of the SDK did anyone hear?

redistribution?

the sdk is a hundred megs Anima :( .. might be less if you have some of it gotten already..

laterz

• Advertisement

Started my map for the map contest today.. I'm recreating the trainstation at the beginning and its surrounding area for deathmatch :)

Don't worry, I'll add a public toilet somewhere for all you sink throwing maniacs =D

I've started a map aswell, but I don't know if I'll bother entering it... when you consider that we're up against teams of hugely experienced people.
    I'm just mapping this for the reasons I've always mapped, for my own amusement :)

Yeah, thats me too :) Though I'm also trying to learn the new stuff that came with HL2 :D

Yep definitly a lot to learn.
    With all these new features, I find there's a lot more to go wrong... like the other night I load up my map to discover awful shiney surfaces that I didn't expect.
    Even simple things like making a breakable window seem to go wrong to the point where they don't even appear in the map.
    Argh headwrecking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

im trying to make a huge football field with a respawning explosice barrell in the centre you spawn at either end with a grav gun :p

• Advertisement

Yeah there's a lot of fun to be had...
    I made one of those cameras that outputs to a monitor texture, parented it to an enemy sentry gun along with a dynamic light and lens flare to make it look like a real camera with a lamp... the whole idea was that players could watch other players being battered by a flying camera from the cameras POV... the only snag being - it doesn't seem to show human players, only NPCs. bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Trying some different textures (2.2GB i have "acquired" over the years) see how they show up , this engine begs for a WW2 single player game with maybe a beach level ;)

kdjac

Yeah that terrain and water is just begging for it.
    I'm still not sure how they achieve the whole 'giant ocean fading off into the horizon' effect though... 3d skyboxes maybe.

Did anyone else notice that distinctly normandy-style area in HL2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm still not sure how they achieve the whole 'giant ocean fading off into the horizon' effect though... 3d skyboxes maybe.

I think its just a fairly long brush for the water and then in the 3d skybox they have fog to hide the transition. Plus most of the skyboxes have water in them.

Advertisement