Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheddar - white spots

• 01-12-2004 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know what the little white spots you sometimes get in mature cheddar are?

the missus refuses to eat any cheese with them in it as she claims its some form of mould but I don't think it is - I think they're possibly salt concentrations or something similar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Harmless, dunno what they are exactly but they are not mould and even if they were have you ever eaten blue cheese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

calcium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i think it is a type of mould. cheese forms a skin as it matures which, as far as i know, is just mould. but it's all part of the fun of cheese. brie is all covered in mould outside, and blue cheese too, as Blub2k4 said.
    cheese is our friend, we should embrace it (though maybe not literally...) in all shapes, forms and colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Try a ripe camembert when it starts to run and smell like cauliflower...............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there is nothing better in the cheese world.

Advertisement