Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL\ADSL modem question

• 01-12-2004 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Short and Sweet,

Can I use a DSL modem on an ADSL line?

Thx

R :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Sorry redzer. Didn't understand you fully last time.

To all intents and purposes, DSL and ADSL are the same. DSL is the technology while ADSL is Asymmetric DSL which means speeds are different for upstream and downstream (as opposed to S(ymmetric)DSL).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

redzer007 wrote:
    Short and Sweet,

Can I use a DSL modem on an ADSL line?

Thx

R :confused:
    You shouldn't have any problems doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

Thanks all

F/S Belkin ADSL wireless modem/router

WTB Belkin DSL wireless/modem :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Felix Unger

Your last quote is worrying, if Belkin have two different products (DSL/ADSL) make sure that the DSL version supports all the standards you'll need for using it here (PoE etc), but why do you want to get rid of your wireless ADSL modem/router and replace it with another wireless modem (is it a no router version??)? The only versions on the Belkin.co.uk website are an ADSL modem built in one and a DSL/Cable router (it doesn't have a modem built in so you'll need an ETHERNET ADSL modem, NOT USB or a Cable modem. Maybe I picked the whole thing up wrong, but don't want to see you sell something you might regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

Good point!! My problem is that I've bought a wireless access point (Belkin)that I cannot create a wireless bridge to my modem\router (also Belkin) but I can create a wireless bridge using the DSL\Cable router. Now your point (and its valid) arose from the fact that I misread the spec on the Belkin product. and thought it included a DSL modem, and now I see it doesn't, Thanks for pointing that out.

I've been onto Blekin support and think I have a solution.

.....Buy another Wireless access point, bridge it to the router using a cable, and the using the second WAP create a wireless bridge.

Simple !!??

Thanks for pointing that out

Red

• Advertisement
Advertisement