Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA CC Account CLOSED!!!!!!

Options
  • 01-12-2004 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

I'm just after closing my MBNA credit card account. Firstly they are as nice as pie and transfer you to somebody higher than them to deal with it. The woman then asked me why I wanted to close it, and I told her because I got a new one off AIB.
    She then offered to lower the interest rate, I refused.
    She then explained that I'll still be charged stamp duty (which I accepted) of €80 because of my two cards, as if to say that if I didn't close it, I wouldn't have to pay all that.

Then finally she said ok it has been closed and she would send out a letter of confirmation. I then asked what I would do with my card and she replied "do what you want with it, ok bye.........." and hung up!!

MBNA are not very nice when it comes to saying bye bye.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

I've learned to play the CC games. I love making them compete against each other for the lowest interest rates . If I can find one that will give me a lower interest rate and the one I carry can't/won't match it , I'll end up getting the new card & closing the higher rate account. It's amazing how willing they are to lower the rates once you've put them on the spot ! :D

BTW.....cut up the old card.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Skyuser wrote:
    She then explained that I'll still be charged stamp duty (which I accepted) of €80 because of my two cards, as if to say that if I didn't close it, I wouldn't have to pay all that.
    Erm isn't credit card stamp duty €40 per account

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Have you ever tried cancelling payment protection with MBNA? My god, it's like the Spanish Inquisition!
    Going to cancel my MBNA card next week at long last, they're great but the interest rate is too high and I have too many cards as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Victor wrote:
    Erm isn't credit card stamp duty €40 per account
    That's why I said €80 for the TWO cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Yeah god help you closing an mbna account. Same thing happened to me, but the madness continued, they charged me interest on a closed and cleared account! (including 40 for the duty.) They then sent me reminders and charged me late fees! Only after many calls did this stop. Again the staff were no help, and didn't seem to care.

In short take your business elsewhere, mbna= :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Skyuser wrote:
    That's why I said €80 for the TWO cards
    Stamp duty is per account on credit cards, you seemed to indicate there was only one account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Victor wrote:
    Stamp duty is per account on credit cards, you seemed to indicate there was only one account.

He said: "She then explained that I'll still be charged stamp duty (which I accepted) of €80 because of my two cards"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eth0_ wrote:
    He said: "She then explained that I'll still be charged stamp duty (which I accepted) of €80 because of my two cards"

He also said "I'm just after closing my MBNA credit card account". My guess is Victor is asking the question because it is possible to have two cards on the one account.

Do I get a gold star teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The double tax was abolished in the Budget yesterday you'll be glad to hear . You may get your 'Gold star' in the form of some Rep in the future. Meanwhile back to your seat !

M

Muck wrote:
    The double tax was abolished in the Budget yesterday you'll be glad to hear .

Explain please. I haven't heard anything about change to stamp duty on credit/debit/ATM cards, which I presume you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

I closed an mbna account last year. I had a small balance on which I had to pay some interest. I rang up and said I wanted to close the account and how much is should I pay to close the account. I was told that I should overpay the account as interest would still be increasing until the payment was received. They would then send me back a cheque with the amount leftover - which they duly did.

I just think its a strange way to run a business,

Paddyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The double tax (if you ditch one CC in favour of another) is going by April 2005 , it was kinda announced yesterday but the final wording will be in the Finance Act when it is published around Feb 2005 . Git haggling with your CC provider for a better rate ! I suspect that this applies only to CC's .

M

Cheers Muck, saw that in the Times just 5 minutes ago. Surprised its the first I've seen of it, I kept an eye on proceedings yesterday.

Advertisement