Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to connect to a plasma

Options
  • 01-12-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just moved back from the US with the Wife and baby.. need some advice on what to do. We have a 42' Sony Plasma PFM-42v1 (its duel voltage PAL and NTSC)

Video inputs:
    RGB/Component (HD-15), DVI-D, Composite (BNC), Y/C (S-Video)
    Video Outputs Composite Out Loop Through (BNC)

Color Systems NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, PAL60, PAL-M, PAL-N

I also have a DVD Player Momitsu 880 with DVI-D connection to play the DVD's

We are just in the process of buying a new house and will be putting the Plasma on the wall. The holes are already in for the cables , I just need some advice as to what hadware to buy to connect all this together for TV via Cable or sat, & surround system (at a reasonable price)

thanks in advance

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hi Gary, welcome to boards, and welcome back to Ireland!

Am I right in thinking that what you are asking is a) what cables should you run to your plasma to ensure you'll be able to connect whatever you like in the future and b) how do you get regular TV tuned in on it?

If so, for the first one I'd run as many cables as you can fit through that hole! Ideally you'd have the DVI cable, a VGA cable, and 4 good quality 75ohm video cables. I'd probably recommend that you use pre-assembled RCA to RCA video cables which are readily available in the shops, and just use RCA to BNC adaptors which you can pick up in Maplin Electronics or Radionics. Alternatively you could run some CT100 (RG6) coaxial cable and terminate the cables yourself with BNCs one end and RCAs the other, but unless you know what you are doing you risk making bad connections and degrading the video signal. Don't forget to run mains power (you wouldn't believe how many people forget this!)

For analogue cable TV, the simplest thing to do is use a VCR to tune in stations. Connect from the scart output to the composite input on the plasma. You won't get better than composite quality from analogue TV so I wouldn't bother trying to connect it via RGB or Componenet. Digital cable and Satellite on the other hand does give you RGB, so you should use that input. Here's where it gets tricky though. Your plasma will expect not just RGB signals but horizontal and vertical sync on the RGB input. The digital cable box or satellite box won't output the sync signals.

So the solution to all of your problems is to get yourself a scaler/line doubler.This one has composite, S-video and RGB inputs and outputs via VGA RGB in a the native resolution of your plasma with all the right sync signals intact. It doubles the lines too, so the picture improvement also makes it worthwhile considering. The scaler box will allow you to swap between various inputs but always outputs in the correct resolution for your plasma. This makes adding extra equipment and using VCR, satellite, games and PC a doddle.

I hope this helps you, apologies if I'm off the mark on this one.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Thanks a mill. Robbie

For your detailed message, this really helps. I will have to get to maplin to get the cables and the converter from RCA to BNC as my crimping is a bit rusty/crap. I was wondering how I was going to use that Composite RGB (15pinD) "that little sucker."

Power is always a good thing to have for the plasma so I have already put that in the hole.

I also see that the scaler is in the US. Would that be the best place to purchase as I still have most of my accounts there..?

PS. DVI is outstanding for DVD's I recommend anyone who has a DVI connection to use it.

thanks

Gary

Ebay is the best

Can get the Line dubler for $380 (new) Ebay US and get it shipped to Ireland with a European plug...

regards

Gary

The internet is definitely the best place to pick up that scaler, and if it's the iScan Pro you were quoted for, that's a killer price for it, well done. You won't find that produt for sale in Ireland off the shelf, so internet ordering is your only option. Just connect everything through the scaler except the DVD (DVI connection) and you are sorted.

The plug situation is not a problem as the unit uses an external power supply. The voltage is 6v with 1.5a of current, I picked up a power supply for an iScan there last week in Maplin for €40.

You won't have to worry about the BNC inputs if you are going to use the scaler, as everything will come through the VGA input (except DVD). However, it's still good practice to run the cables just in case. I'd recommend you use the CT100 cables and leave them unterminated until you need them, then you can decide what way to crimp/terminate them.

Robbie

Hi Robbie

Just found out that the price for a 3m RGB/VGA cable is $109 from the same guy. Is it worth getting that from him or can I source the cable in Ireland?

BTW. He is selling me the PRO (an open box B-Stock version for $299.+SH $63) he is selling the Ultra for $445 +Sh (B-Stock) open box.

If anyone need his contact for this hardware just let me know. He is an authorized USA dealer for DVDO.

regards

Gary

This is his message below:

DVDO has recently changed their policy regarding international sales. At this point, no authorized USA dealer is allowed to sell new units to international customers, but if you would be interested in an open box unit, that is still an option. These units are like new except that the boxes have been re-sealed. Open box units come with a one year warranty, just like new ones, except that any warranty or support issues must be handled by Cable Solutions. B-Stock iScan Ultra units are $445.00.

We also have some B-Stock iScan Pro units at $299.00, if you would be interested in one of those. These come with a 30 day warranty. As with the open box units, any warranty or support issues must be handled by Cable Solutions.

We do not have a lot of warranty issues with iScan units, but you need to be aware that if you should have a warranty issue, you would incur shipping expenses to and from our location.

For an iScan Ultra, shipping/handling to Ireland is $63 via insured Global Express Mail (EMS), with an estimated transit time of 3 - 5 business days. Please be advised that we declare actual contents and value for customs and insurance purposes.

• Advertisement

Hi Robbie (again)

The DVDO Ultra looks really good with DVI output,+ SIX Video inputs!!!!! I could connect this to my Plasma, however would I loose any sharpness if I connected my DVD to the ULTRA first. As there is only one DVI connection I would have to use Composite. But at $445 looks like a winner to me?

regards

Gary

Hi Gary,

First, you don't need to buy an RGB to VGA cable, just a regular 15 pin VGA to VGA cable will do you fine. You'll be connecting from the VGA output of the iScan directly to the VGA input of the plasma, very straightforward. The cables can be picked up in any PC shop, or Maplins etc. In fact, I have some spare, you can have one of mine for free!

If you use the iScan Ultra and decide to connect the DVD player direct to the plasma with the DVI connection, you'll still have to use the analog VGA output of the iScan to get everything else to the plasma.

The iScan Ultra does indeed look excellent, especially for that price. I would probably still connect your DVD player direct to the plasma with the DVI input though, to connect via the Ultra would mean converting the signal from digital to analog and then back to digital again from the Ultra. A straight DVI connection makes more sense, but having said that, the video processing power of the iScan Ultra might actually add improve the quality of the DVD picture. If you do decide to go for the Ultra, connect it both ways and see which you prefer. If using the DVD through the Ultra, use the component video inputs, not the composite. Unfortunately the Ultra doesn't have a DVI input, which is an oversight in my opinion.

If you didn't have a DVD player with DVI output, I'd definitely be recommending the Ultra. But by connecting the DVD direct to the plasma, you are really only going to be using the Ultra for the same job as the Pro was going to do, and I doubt you'll notice any significant difference in picture quality between the two. I haven't actually used an Ultra myself so I can't comment on that 100%.

The thing that should probably decide it for you between the two units is do you really need those extra video inputs? If so, the Ultra is a great deal, you get a lot for the money. I'm not sure if you've imported goods into the EU yet, if not be aware that you'll have to pay both a customs clearing fee and VAT duty on the declared value of the package. I'm not sure of the exact rates for he customs fee, but VAT is 21% of the value.

Hi Robbie

Thanks again for your input.. Yes six inputs is a bit extreme but you never know!!!!. Having said that I am just buying a new house and I need spare cash to pay for the solicitor, and all the other BS. red tape tax...

I will prob just buy the Pro box and source the cables from maplin or I will have a look at work to see if there is any VGA's around.

Thanks :) again I will let you know what it looks like when I get it all connected.

regards

Gary H.

Ok its been a long time. moved in last week

Plasma is up on the wall. The supplied wall mounts worked like a charm once I replaced the crappy bolts Sony supply with the mount. Wow it heavy.

I have the DVD re-connected to the plasma via dvi.

I also have connected the IScan to the plasma via VGA, however I noticed that there is next the VGA connector on the plasma end a sterio socket. Now if Im using the ISCan whats best to connect the sterio socket too.

regards

garyh3

Advertisement