Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP Across dial up connection - Strange Problem

Options
  • 01-12-2004 5:27pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have to setup a script/batch file that will allow a PC running Windows 2000
    to dial up to a seperate network and download approx 40 small files of varying
    sizes on a daily basis.

When testing this, it was just through a DOS using FTP and everything seemed
    fine then it came to a small file, approx 80 bytes and its just stops. So I rung it
    again and same thing happens.. Thinking its a problem with the file, I delete
    the file and run the process again.. works fine until it comes to another file
    about 60 bytes and sure enough it happens again..

It seems that any files under 1kb are causing the whole process to just freeze.

Anyone any suggestions?

A 3rd party FTP app would be fine if it can be either setup under command
    line or the gui will allow it to be schedulded to run at a particular time.

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Does the DOS FTP client have a noclobber option (I couldn't find one in my Solaris ftp)? If available maybe that needs to be disabled.
    Or you could "!del fname" to delete the file before download, if you know the filenames and are not using 'prompt; mget *'

Re: 3rd party app:
    WS_FTP Pro
    http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/WS_FTP/features.html
    It has scripting support. I've never used the scripting features but I own a copy of the WS FTP Pro client and really like it.

Another option could be to script it with perl. I have a script somewhere that recursively gets files from an ftp site. Given a list of extensions it will determine whether to use ascii or binary transfer. It was designed to run as a cron job.
    You could probably modify it to reget files that didn't come down correctly. It could also ensure local copies are removed before a new copy is downloaded.
    I realise that it probably won't prevent a hang if the server is somehow introducing this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah Ive tried the WSFTP client alright and its good but the same thing happens
    with that, so Im suspecting that maybe there might be an issue with the server
    itself that the files are being downloaded from.

Tox

Advertisement