Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone hate rap music more than I

Options
  • 05-04-2001 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

i could go on for a couple of hours about how i hate rap music but id take up about 50 pages and noone would read the topic....so heres a competition to see does anyone hate rap/hip hop more than me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

By all means go on for a couple of hours but it will be pointless, I think your looking at the medias portrayal of hip-hop a la Missy G (or whatever), Puff Daddy and Snoop and all that ******, jesus even limp bizkit are considered a hip-hop outfit by some music "critics".

I'd encourage you to go find some proper hiphop, go download the following three songs, which basically got me into the whole rap end of it (rather than the DJ end of things which I already liked, say Psyence Fiction by Unkle, that end of things) it aint gangster **** or any self-praising crap but genuine music, if you still hate the genre as a whole after listening to them then so be it:

Blackalicious - Shallow Days
    Blackalicious - Making Progress
    Blackalicious - Sleep
    or in fact the whole Nia album.

some Jurassic 5 wouldn't go amiss either but doesnt contain half the amount of soul as Blackalicious.

Dunno what you think of R'n'B (personally not a great fan) but Musiq Soulchild - Aijuswanaseing is one hella good album imo.

<insert concluding argument here>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

lol im willing to give anything a try but u gotta understand what im sayin,i will dl those songs though i was complaining about all those rappers who constantly say their own name,take off their shirts,do those ridiculous hand signals and so on.did u hear that "song" by that little 13 year old idiot i mean hes givin it loads i cant stand it,even if tose songs u told me to download are good the genre as a whole has been tainted by this S***

hehe bow wow wow or something
    shut the **** up you little ******* *kicks bowwow*
    and he goes running off back to mummy ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

now now Starscream please ..
    I can understand about the 13 year old git .
    however give rap a chance ...

So says your Leader !!! mad.gif

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

There is good hip hop out there,try
    A Tribe Called Quest
    DE la Soul
    Dream Warriors
    Public Enemy
    NWA

any of the old stuff is usally good, it was poof daddy who came and recked it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Na its more than just poof daddy.

When I think back to the first time I heard rap it was no melody but very in your face. Lines went something along "yo, u-huh, I'm gonna show how I'm the greatest"... so I'm now interested, listening for how he will show me how hes the greatest .."yea, all the honeys want me all night"... still waiting for this amazing melody or break down or something that will wow me "sup, gonna wow you with all my skills" .. still waiting... and so on. Shallow pretentious stuff with no substance, all hype.

Took me ages to realise this is what people liked, the attitude, the rawness of it all. But I'm afraid I still don't throw it under music, its culture more than anything - its a tribal chant, when it starts sounding melodic its called r&b, and theres were black cultured music gets extremely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's a bit of a broad statement. Rap is a huge genre subdivided into a load of different styles and flava's (ahem). I think you mostly hate Gansta rap, but there are other type of rap.

I suggest you seek out the following tracks to open your mind:

Anthrax - I'm the man (1991 remix) - Heavy metal and rap together in (almost) perfect harmony.

Wycleff Jean (featuring The Rock)- It doesn't matter: Reggae flavoured rap

Tricky - Black Steel: Industrial style, very dark with very strong semi sung lyrics.

Most of Ill Communication: Kick ass guitars fused with rap.

So, boooi. Get down wid da biaaayitchs and scratch some homie hardcore. Werd.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

When you say 'rap' music, what exactly do you classify as rap ? Because as Kali has pointed out, there's a big difference between hip hip/rap/gansta rap etc.

Pharcyde
    De La Soul
    Herbaliser
    Musiq Soulchild
    Run DMC
    Beastie Boys
    Spooks
    Stetsasonic

Damn good groups

Also a great hip hop tune at the moment : Nate Dogg, Mos Def & Pharaohe Monch - Oh No ( Lyricist Lounge )

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

When the topic is so broad you've got to argue in broad terms, yep I know of beastie boys, Wycleff Jean and so on, but when someone says "I hate rap" I can be 95% certain they're talking about the popular gangsta rap which is the most prevailent during the nineties, and you can be fairly certain that they haven't looked into it too much to try find the better genres because of the distasteful and boring gangsta rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I am not a Rap or R&B fan. The commerical sh*te they sell to kids is rubish. But I would not say I hate rap and mean it. I do tell my mates who listen to it its sh*te but I don't think it's fair to put down every rapper because of the crap that floats to the top. Making statments like that is never a good idea because you will end closing you mind of to a type of music that has been around for years and has it's own place in the music industry.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    garage music and trance music</font>

I believe it's called 'noise' wink.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

current Rap acts that should go sit with Pump Duddy in the Clinton Cat Class Of Shame...
    Destinies Child
    Nelly
    That dreadful Limp Buiskit sub beastie boys effort

Current rap acts that can hold their own with the original b boys
    Snoop
    Dr Dre
    Eminem
    Spooks
    Outkast
    Ice Cube
    As Frodo sez
    Listen to the lyrics of Boogie Down Productions/Why Is That?,Public Enemy/Fear Of A Black Planet,Ice T/Home Invasion,Ice Cube/War And Peace vol1.
    It will be a revelation to those who think of rap in terms of a one trick pony.
    Ice Cubes Getto Vet is probally one of the most painfully real Gangster Rap songs i have ever heard,it puts all the guns and *****es of p diddy acts were they belong,the w@nc fantasies of 14 year old boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    ...trance music...</font>

Now now! You must like "Silence", everyone likes that song,even moi, and i'm an avid rock fan like yerself! smile.gif

Oh and Craig David must die for the sake of humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I do hate underground rap. Especially rap with lyrics like
    "we gonna fuk yo homies and yo bit<hes good we fuk em"

The only rap id listen to is done to really decent rock music. Cant think of any off hand tho. Some rap can be ok then but i dont like most of it. I like ROCK smile.gif

Worse than rap tho, is garage music and trance music. I just dont understand how people like it. There is nothing i can listen to, or any argument that I can hear that will ever teach me this. I am simply baffled by its popularity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Rap is good to chill down to smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Unfortunetely I cant post anything here we havnt already talked about Star,
    wha, wha, wha.. smile.gif

All in all is all we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Yeah, it's a bit like saying all country is sh!t. Yes vince gil is a crime against humanity, but Will Oldham, Vic Chesnutt and Calexico are three of the greatest americans producing music at the moment.
    The same can be said of Blackalicious and the whole Quanum collective.
    And without pioneers like Flash and Herc, we wouldn't have bands like RATM (a good thing imo), albums like Kid A (with beats straight outa compton), and pure geniuses such as Beck.
    Remember in every genre there are turnips like Limp Bizcuit (sp?) and garthbrooks. but the Shellacs and Smogs of the world more than make up for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

oh and i challenge you to go on for 50 pages about how much you hate hip hop starscream. in fact first i challenge you to get an orininal name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Frodo@work:
    There is good hip hop out there,try
    A Tribe Called Quest
    DE la Soul
    Dream Warriors
    Public Enemy
    NWA

any of the old stuff is usally good, it was poof daddy who came and recked it all.
    </font>

Don't give him that much credit please.

There are still alot of great acts out there still but it just doesn't intrest me anymore.

Long live the Dogfather.

anyone remember the Disposable Heros Of Hip-Hopcracy?

Television Drug Of The Nation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

i love rap music..
    im listining to some right now..
    whats wrong with it???
    give me a ligit reason why you all think its so bad.!

it aint that bad..
    eminem is a bit of a ponce.
    but he has his fans all around the world.
    dre is an evil fe<k3d up lookin ****er.
    snoop is a smokin the weed mother****er.
    and then theres N.W.A
    niggas with attuide. whats wrong with them?
    i think the only reason you all h8 rap music is because is done by black ppl.
    if so you are all raceist boll0><3s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kastro:
    i think the only reason you all h8 rap music is because is done by black ppl.
    if so you are all raceist boll0><3s
    </font>

Oh grow up ya muppett. rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭-Serpico-

Hey,

Though I love hiphop almost more than any other genre of music, I can relate to what the man is saying, because my absolute LEAST favorite type of music in the world is BAD hiphop!

Bad hip hop, the likes of DMX, Missy, Foxy Brown, RuffRyders, Nelly, Ludakris, or any of that other ****e is the most painful sound that could assail your ears! The reason why it's so painful to me is that I know that hip hop can be SO great! Just listen to People Under The Stairs, early MosDef, Company Flow, L-Fudge, Polyrythym Addicts, TribeCalledQuest, Swollen Members, or Jedi Mind Tricks, and you'll discover some of the most amazing music ever.

However, this is all just a matter of opinion. Some people just don't like hip hop, and it's not, haha, because they're racist! That's like saying the reason I don't like metal is because metalers are all smelly bástards! It's not that at all, it's because metal's shíte! smile.gif

Serp

I'm interested to actually see though if any of the many excellent reccomendations have made an impact on the original opinion..

Starscream?

Isn't it Doggfather ? rolleyes.gif

Anyway, reiterating my point, big difference between gansta rap and hip-hop.

Serpico showed me Jedi Mind Tricks a while back, excellent stuff smile.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

yes i can honestly say iv never heard of these groups.....so i dint hate them though its a pain to download em cause napster is messed up now frown.gif
    but im always willing to try new things
    oh and if StarScream is an unoriginal name how was i able to get it? the answer...CAUSE NOONE ELSE HAS IT
    oh and only a really spite filled person would suggest im a racist cause i dont like rap music,answer this...if i dont like country western music does that mean i hate all the people in southern USA? maybe now ull realise how ridiculous that comment was

this site usually has a song or two to download.
    http://www.publicenemy.com
    http://www.publicenemy.com/mpe.php

After the Rodney King Riots a serious ammount of political pressure was put on the major record labels to get them to drop their more "contraversial" rap acts.
    I recomend anyone intrested in the Bodycount/Copkiller contreversy reads "Ice Speaks" by Ice T.
    Is it any coincidence that the Gucci Gangsters are still getting airplay whilst acts trying to keep it real are ignored by the majors?
    Respect to Eminem,
    Home Invasion 2 has commenced

respect to Eminem?
    whatchyoutalkinboot Clintons Cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Vega

Limp Bizkits rap is the best!!!!!

Peace outty!

Vega

SSSLLLAAASSSHHHH!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt