Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone hate rap music more than I

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

fred durst rapping is genuinely entertaining, always brings a smile to my face smile.gif.... gimme back ma munneh punk, i pack a chainsaw i'll skin your ass raw.....genius biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    respect to Eminem?
    whatchyoutalkinboot Clintons Cat.
    </font>
    Well I am glad you asked me that Kali... wink.gif
    its kind of complicated,
    Time to drop some Science. wink.gif
    Eminem is introducing a new generation of kids to hip hop,He is my entry level drug to the whole dangerous sub culture of hip hop and look how dangerous that can be.
    Any co-incidence that the media consider puff daddy,and not Dr Dre to be the most important current hip hop producer?Puff Daddy whose biggest hit "missing you" is a glorified rap about a victim of Black on black gang violence,"with no condemnation of the situation that caused it."i cant wait to see,if you open up the gates of heaven for me" makes me fu<king sick every time i hear it.

Lyric Break
    So Whatcha Gone Do Now?>Public Enemy
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The only good niga iz a dead niga
    Dats what they used to say
    Cant understand why a man
    Gotta use a trigga
    On his own, suppose to act grown
    <remix>
    Talkin dat drive by sh it
    Everybody talkin dat gangsta sh it
    Talkin dat drive by thang
    Everybody talking dat gangsta swang
    Slaves to the rhythm of the master
    Buck boom buck another
    Neighborhood disaster
    <crossfade>
    Nigga kills a white man thats murder one
    white man kills a niggathats self defence
    but a nigga kills a niggaTHATS JUST ANOTHER DEAD NIGGA
    </font>

Go check the lyrics
    Message to the Soldiers>Ice T
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Word! I know a lot of brothas out there want to get in this war...
    You know what I'm sayin'? a lot of sistas got a lot of knowledge
    to drop on our people but right now they're movin' to shut down
    all hip-hop! The first amendment had absolutely nothin' to do
    with black people at the time constitution was written, we were
    considered nothin' but property...The expectation of havin' black
    people speak on records never came to mind, so we gotta move!
    But belive me all the black leaders have been silenced and most
    of the time it's been violent so if you choose to get in this war,
    realize what you're in for but we gotta move on...
    And we gotta stay strong...
    </font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">posted on http://wallofsound.go.com/artists/icet/home.html , Ice-T teamed with high-school friend Ernie-C to record a full-length Body Count CD. One song on the album, titled "Cop Killer," generated a firestorm of controversy that included recriminations from police-activist groups, politicians, and the NRA. Released in the aftermath of the Rodney King beating, the song also ignited heated debates regarding the limits of free speech. In the end, the controversy proved too volatile for Warner Bros., and the label dropped Ice-T from its roster. </font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">FREEDOM OF SPEACHjust watch what you say</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">posted on http://www.daveyd.com/iceprops.htmlPROPS: How is your outlook on music different since the "Cop Killer" controversy?

ICE T: I learned that the **** is more powerful than you can possibly believe. You can't come out on a record dissing the system and be on a label that's connected to the system. They can't allow that. I also learned that you don't have that many friends in life when **** hits. Hip hop as a whole will stand behind you, but to the masses, Hip Hop is considered one big nigga. If a hundred rappers stood behind me, it wouldn't matter. I needed guys like Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson to step up to support me. But to them, whether it's Ice-T or Ice Cube, we're all the same, their attitude is '**** all of them'.

</font>

Dre and Snoop know the deal,to get airplay you got to play the Stoned Gheto Pimp Characature,an act they have perfected to the point of almost self parody,

lyrical break
    Burn Hollywood Burn>Public Enemy
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As I walk the streets of Hollywood Boulevard
    Thinkin' how hard it was to those that starred
    In the movies portrayin' the roles
    Of butlers and maids slaves and hoes
    Many intelligent Black men seemed to look uncivilized
    When on the screen
    Like a guess I figure you to play some jigaboo
    On the plantation,
    what else can a niga do?
    </font>

eminem has the potential to kick the door open for street Hip Hop again.
    Part of his appeal is that you can emulate his look,his dress,his attitude,you know where he is coming from something that the Guucci Suited Gangsters with all their corporate publicity hype and flashy MTV videos will never achieve.

Hope that answers your question Kali...i'm off to dig out my VW badges and dye my hair blonde.
    We outta here
    Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

well i read the last paragraph, as that was the only relevant one.
    no need to go preaching about ice cube.

"He has the potential to open up the door for street hip-hop again."

You honestly think that Dre/Snoop and Eminem are street hip-hop and thus deserve respect?

Who do you think are responsible for the abominations that are xbizit and that little bow-wow kid or whatever?

The more kids that see Eminem for who he is, some loser white kid putting on an extremely fake hard rap image, the better.
    You don't think Dre/DeathRow etc. etc. use MTV and publicity either? Seriously wrong. Obviously not to the extent of Puff Daddy and co. though, don't get me wrong Dre has several excellent albums, but gangster rap (in the form of Ice Cube, Public Enemy) is dead as far as im concerned and they should leave it in peace not **** around with it as they're doing at present trying to act tough for the cameras.

I think the only hip-hop act in the limelight at the moment that I have any sort of respect for are Outkast (Blackalicious not being in the media much), they've released countless stunning albums in America and are now moving into Europe on the back of one or two hit singles. If these singles introduce people to their old stuff it'll be worth it.

I've rambled on enough.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You honestly think that Dre/Snoop and Eminem are street hip-hop and thus deserve respect?</font>

maybe my style was to oblique but no,i said dre and snoop were playing the field nigga stereotype,the way black entertainers have always done in order to get by.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Dre and Snoop know the deal,to get airplay you got to play the Stoned Gheto Pimp Characature,an act they have perfected to the point of almost self parody</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">no need to go preaching about ice cube</font>
    I think you mean ice t,and since most of the people here will not be aware of the Cop killa contreversy,a thread about hip hop seems a perfectly resonable place to raise the issue of censorship and freedom of speech,Why can songs about blacks killing blacks,drive by shootings and selling crack be considered to be acceptable for airplay but songs about blacks killing cops,or police harassment be considered taboo?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The more kids that see Eminem for who he is, some loser white kid putting on an extremely fake hard rap image, </font>
    sorry that you see him that way,i see him as a talented performer,who has the ability to entertain,fascinate,horify and amuse with equal measure.He is a lot more real than the last white act to break for the street.<beastie boys>fight for your right,not vanilla ice>ice ice baby.
    Maybe he wont turn out to be the streets second coming and usher in a new dawn for contreversial rap acts to get airplay,Maybe all we will get is more graphic versions of gangster rap,but hell you cant blame him for that.
    How much airplay did outcast get before eminem made rap fashionable to thye mainstream again? None,now they got the foot in the door,
    Street hip hop can be a potent force.
    I point to the Stop the violence movement, and the 94 LA gang truce as 2 much maligned but reletively sucessful examples.
    The fact you consider public enemy and ice T dead even though they are still both releasing records means you have bought the corporate line.

You played yourself.
    Respect.

outkast are supposed to be good?! i thought that ms. jackson yoke was novel at 1st but it got dammed annoying, and that new 1, so fresh and so clean, eek, i truly really hate it, really really h8 it. ???

• Advertisement

Cause i cant pass a rehtorical question without trying to answer it...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Who do you think are responsible for the abominations that are xbizit and that little bow-wow kid or whatever?</font>
    dont know xbizit,
    but lil bow wow is produced by the guy behind Kriss Kross,dont know his name offhand.The Bow wow wow,yippee yo yippie yay is off snoops first albumn though,and snoop makes a cameo apperance in the video too.

Lil bow wow is a passable crossover act lets see what he is doing in five years time.
    New Edition spawned Bobby Brown,Bel Biv Devoe and Blackstreet.
    Kriss Kross are probally serving fries in south central.
    Which way will lil bow wow go? The jury is still out on that one.

[This message has been edited by Clintons Cat (edited 18-04-2001).]

Sliotar - read my point. Go get/download a few tracks from Aquemini (1998)... they're a tad bit more intelligent than the current singles.

Clinton - lil bow wow was on the Chronic tour as well. xzibit is some Mase-alike dick whos current singles were produced by Dre. Hence I have no respect for any of the **** Dre/Snoop et al. come out with... including Eminem.

I still don't understand why you seem to have brought up some cop killing debate which I'm not going to enter into.

Imo if dicks go out, listen to Eminem and then go buy some decent hip-hop (be it from mine or your definition of "decent" smile.gif ) good for them. That fact in no way makes Eminem talented except for an ability to sell records within a specific genre.

anyway back to Outkast yet again (whom I only mentioned in passing as the only current hiphop group in the charts that I have any bit of respect for, be there recent singles ****e or not) ....

"How much airplay did outcast get before eminem made rap fashionable to thye mainstream again? None,now they got the foot in the door" ..
    err they've been around for quite a while like, and have since 95 built up quite a lot of album sales and hit singles in the US where they're not short of a fanbase. (I personally don't give two ****s about the mass buying or listening habits of Europe, as it is for the most part absolute ****e wink.gif )

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sliotar:
    outkast are supposed to be good?! i thought that ms. jackson yoke was novel at 1st but it got dammed annoying, and that new 1, so fresh and so clean, eek, i truly really hate it, really really h8 it. ???</font>
    hey dont blame outcast cause the djs have overexposed miss jackson.
    as for the follow up i hate it too,but then i didnt think much of Miss Jackson when i heard it first,maybe it will grow on me.Maybe not.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Imo if dicks go out, listen to Eminem and then go buy some decent hip-hop (be it from mine or your definition of "decent" ) good for them. That fact in no way makes Eminem talented except for an ability to sell records within a specific genre.</font>

for which he gets my respect.
    which was kind of my point.
    i wouldnt buy eminems albulm either,but his raps on stan and voices are well constructed and thought provoking,and much more challenging than the usual,"Slap my bit<h to the curb,find me a hoe,and if a nigga looks at me sideways i'll put him in a bodybag" gangsta lite which gets the play.
    As for how much airplay outcast get in America outside the Rap specific stations and on MTV America,i havent a clue.
    Hip Hop has always been about mixing genres,ideas and concepts,you take out of it what appeals to you.
    Peace

BTW which of the below statements is correct?

A)Hence I have no respect for any of the **** Dre/Snoop et al. come out with... including Eminem.

B)don't get me wrong Dre has several excellent albums

Not important really,just curious.
    Personally i think Snoop has slipped to far into self parody,if it wasnt for some class rapping on Dre's 2001 albumn i would of consigned him to the lame gangster rap catagory,i certainly wouldnt recomend The Last Meal to anyone.
    Dre along with Ice T were instrumental in establishing the 94 LA Gang Truce.
    The Copkiller Contraversy is just an illustration of how far American Society and the music industry will tollerate black gang violence when it is turned inward on itself,I do not in any way Endorse Shooting Cops.Hope that clears up any confusion caused.

• Advertisement

They're both right of course smile.gif

Currently what he as a producer/manager/publicist/stylist is coming out with is complete and utter crap.

(Note i didn't mention lyricist).

Does that in any way effect my views of his previous albums? no, and why should it?

right think thats everything wrapped up now hopefully smile.gif

hey im not sayin outkast are bad, im just really surprised that they're SUPPOSED to be good. a lot of ppl will never of heard of them before now, and will probably think that they're some kind of 1 hit wonders, which is the impression i got. neways, tis trivial.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">right think thats everything wrapped up now hopefully </font>

Hehe
    Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Jurassic 5 are cool (lets take it back to the concrete streets...)

And the beastie boys rule!

beastie boys?? yes you do need to say more..... wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Warren G - Regulate (the first real rap song... hmmmmm)</font>
    did you mean to say that it's the first rap song YOU heard. cos it is not the first real rap song. up there with the wort though, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I can admire rap as a form of singing and all, but the way most people do it these days, it is JUST that. Just the singing.

As for good rap, can't beat old Cypress Hill.
    And One Minute Silence are pretty cool, saw them in concert, man, that kicked ass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Brummers

If you don't like rap music, try listening to some of the following:

Rage against the machine (mentle guitars, heavy beats juxtaposed with hip-hip vocals)

Jurassic 5 (Smooth beats, gospel vocals and nice to smoke to smile.gif )

Beastie boys (need i say more?)

Warren G - Regulate (the first real rap song... hmmmmm)

Which ******* made my bed so comfortable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brummers:

Rage against the machine (mentle guitars, heavy beats juxtaposed with hip-hip vocals)

</font>

hip-hip vocals ?I dont think so !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Boring tedious politically propogandistic vocals. wink.gif

(Kevin stirs that sh.it)

My Adolescent website:
    http://www.iol.net/~mullent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I dunno haven't listened to a load of rap...but i reckon Dre's latest album what ever it's called...is pretty good.

Advertisement