Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conveyancing

Options
  • 01-12-2004 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Can anybody do it, after doing a course, or does it have to be a solicitor?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think anybody can do it, if they can do it, if you follow. The problem is if you were to try it yourself, no bank will lend you money. Also, if you screw up, you're going to have trouble down the line if you come to sell.

In terms of the money it costs to buy property these days, solicitors fees are a drop in the ocean. I think you would be foolish to try and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Its not the money. Its the service,I will be shortly be selling 34 houses and have used a few solicitors in my time, but I cannot get a decent one who gives a good service.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's quite a few crap ones out there alright

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only a solicitor can do convayancing in this country.
    Pataman wrote:
    Its not the money. Its the service,I will be shortly be selling 34 houses and have used a few solicitors in my time, but I cannot get a decent one who gives a good service.
    Mention the 34 houses bit (especially if they are the same). The fee prospect might improve service substantially. :D

Victor wrote:
    Only a solicitor can do convayancing in this country.Mention the 34 houses bit (especially if they are the same). The fee prospect might improve service substantially. :D

That's not technically correct, if you were buying for cash, there's nothing to stop someone doing their own conveyancing. That is, there's no legal inhibition. They'd just have to be mad to attempt it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maximilian wrote:
    That's not technically correct, if you were buying for cash, there's nothing to stop someone doing their own conveyancing. That is, there's no legal inhibition. They'd just have to be mad to attempt it!
    But when the estate agents tried to do conveyancing they were told "no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The solicitor who did conveyancing for us was dire. Ironically one of his colleagues told us that conveyancing was one of the easiest legal transaction they do and their should be no hassle at all. Whereas we had nothing but hassle with the muppet who did ours.

Advertisement