Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to overclock Athlon XP 2600+

Options
  • 01-12-2004 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭

I've an Athlon XP 2600+ running at 1.91Ghz, and on full load it's a little over 60°. Would it be wise to OC it now, or should I get a fan first? How fast can I get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mp3guy wrote:
    should I get a fan first?

it dosnt have a fan?
    i have a 2500+ running @ 2.2 ghz
    it reachs 60 degrees underful load

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

it has a fan, but it's the kind that speeds up when it gets too hot (65° i THINK). So, what should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bob_Hoskins

i wouldnt go overclocking if i were you, it sounds like you have some airflow issues in your case if a 2600 is running at 60°.

hmm, what should i then? My fans running at ~850rpm when it's idle (about 50°) Then it goes up really fast when it comes under heavy load (about 65° or 70° i forget), but i've no idea what rpm, but you sure can hear it. Should i open'er up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

850 rpm is too low, 60 degrees is too hot to be overclocking, get some decent new silent fans, maybe with a fan controller(in case u wana turn them down for quiteness), what HSF are you using?? buy a decent hsf maybe and decent thermal paste, then overclock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I have a 2600 @ 2.3 and i get 52c under full load.
    850rpms is way to low sounds like you should invest in a new fan and heatsink.
    if its at 70 under full load than you shouldnt using the box till thats sorted. check to see if the heatsink in on properly and that their is themal paste or a thermal pad between the die and the base of the heatsink, check to see if the fan on the heatsink is spinning properly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

ARGINITE wrote:
    I have a 2600 @ 2.3 and i get 52c under full load.
    850rpms is way to low sounds like you should invest in a new fan and heatsink.
    if its at 70 under full load than you shouldnt using the box till thats sorted. check to see if the heatsink in on properly and that their is themal paste or a thermal pad between the die and the base of the heatsink, check to see if the fan on the heatsink is spinning properly

If your load temps at stock exceed 52-55C there's no hope in hell you're going to overclock it further. Ideally you'd want the load temp around 48/49C before you start clocking it, 60C is way too high. My barton 3000+ maxed out at 55C when overclocked and anything over that it started to fail prime coming closer to 60.

ok, can you recommend a fan I buy? I'm kinda strapped for cash, so low cost would be good. If I get the fan, whats speeds can I expect to go up to?

Advertisement