Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR Recommendations

Options
  • 01-12-2004 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I've been thinking about getting a DVR for a couple of months now, and last weekend I say a Sony RDR-HX1000 in the Sony Centre in Liffey Valley. It has a 250Gb hard drive, and a multi-format DVD recorder, and can record 320 hours of TV!. Sounds great except for the €1,341 price tag.

Does anyone have eny experience with, or recommendations for this type of equipment?

DMC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

allinace electric on georges st in dublin have most of the brands in stock sony, pioneer, jvc, panasonic give them a call or pop in the have good prices on them too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've got the Philips HDRW720, and whilst I wouldn't have gone and bought one blind, now that I have it I wouldn't be without it. 80GB HD and DVD+R/W is the difference in spec to that sony one. totally revolutionises my TV watching. No longer do we start watching a show at the beginning. instead I set it up to the channel and pause it for about 10 mins or so. Which means that when it comes to the ads, we can skip through them!
    Also has the ability to edit out bits of video, (ads) before archiving them to the DVD, so that you don't get all the rubbish that goes with it.
    As I said - wouldn't be without it, but would have thought long and hard before buying it.
    Don't know about the other models to be honest....
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

if you go to www.pricerunner.com click on the english flag
    youll be surprised the savings

i got a pioneer dvd machine very cheap a few months ago

i will say to steer clear from philips. as they are a lover of the plus format.
    panasonic pioneer and sony i would say are in my top 3 in that order.

but what ever you buy .
    ask can you have a test at home . for a few days and if you have incompatability problems. give it back
    when youre spending 500+++
    you want to make sure you want the right gear.
    where the old richer sounds is on the quay in dublin city centre.
    theres a dj shop i forget the name of it .

but a mate told me they were doing cheap dvr machines 300 euro i think.
    ill find out the name of the shop . its beside subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ic

I've got the Philips HDRW720, and whilst I wouldn't have gone and bought one blind, now that I have it I wouldn't be without it. 80GB HD and DVD+R/W is the difference in spec to that sony one. totally revolutionises my TV watching. No longer do we start watching a show at the beginning. instead I set it up to the channel and pause it for about 10 mins or so. Which means that when it comes to the ads, we can skip through them!
    Also has the ability to edit out bits of video, (ads) before archiving them to the DVD, so that you don't get all the rubbish that goes with it.
    As I said - wouldn't be without it, but would have thought long and hard before buying it.
    Don't know about the other models to be honest....

KenMC,
    I was thinking about buying one of these philips HDD recorders. Have you
    had any problems using it with simple coax (i.e. not digitial TV).

Does the Guide Plus+ system work using just the normal 15 channels from NTL.

Thanks

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭antomack

Check out www.idealo.de for prices in Germany on any AV items you are looking for. Even with P&P it works out quite a bit cheaper than here in Ireland.

Some German suppliers that are pretty good from the reviews I've come across from Irish and UK buyers
    www.digitalo.de (c.€50 P&P)
    www.mediacheckpoint.de (c.€45 P&P)
    www.technikdirekt.de (c.€60 P&P)
    www.pixmania.com (based in France but have Irish portal) (c.€13 P&P)
    www.hificomponents.de (c.€30 P&P if paid in advance, c.€60 for COD on some items)

From the UK I can recommend tvandvideodirect.com although with P&P about €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Will those units shipped from Germany and France have the right VHF/UHF tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

VHF/UHF tuners are not the only difference to look out for.

AFAIK the UK is one of the only places in europe where it is strictly UHF only.

In general you should beware of buying television equipment from other countries, France in particular. Unless you can confirm that the equipment will be 100% compatible it is probably not worth the potential hassle. Slightly different types of transmission formats are used in the rest of Europe, with some equipment it doesn't matter as they are built to be compatible but some are not.

France however use a different video format and as it is relatively unique it has to be specially built in, again some units may be capable of switching to the correct format but the chance of getting an incompatible one is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

ic wrote:
    KenMC,
    I was thinking about buying one of these philips HDD recorders. Have you
    had any problems using it with simple coax (i.e. not digitial TV).

Does the Guide Plus+ system work using just the normal 15 channels from NTL.

Thanks

Brian.
    Sorry Brian, didn't see your post till now.
    I'm just using it with bog standard NTL without any probs whatsoever....
    . I have guide+ info for the 4 tv channels worth having info for - ie BBC1&2, C4 and ITV. I tell it I live in Croydon :)
    The guide plus comes in on UTV. Handy, but a bit cludgy - it's a bought in module from gemstar - they run the guideplus stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 slyi

Has anyone had any success getting the UK freeview DVR's working in ireland as they seem much cheaper option than the philips (€600) vs http://www.pvruk.co.uk/products.cfm (€300)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The French use the SECAM system.

Also be aware that while the Germans and others use PAL, it's PAL B/G and not PAL I as used in Ireland and the UK. A PAL B/G tuner used in Ireland will record video, but no audio.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement