Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater

Options
  • 01-12-2004 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Am listening to this metropolis scenes from a memory album dam it's good I really have got to listen to more of these lads..always knew they were good, but never ventured into their lair so to speak!...Good musicianship, great melodies very Rush'ish! but there's only ONE Rush!,,,but these guys are very good.....What do you rocking kings think of them??...by the way did I see they played over here a few years back?..yes/no??..

ciao amigo's..Baggio..................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Dream Theater are amazing, the drummer (whats that, a huge kit! How's he move round it so fast), vocalist (pretty damn good voice), guitarist (why haven't his fingers fallen off yet?), bassist (ah, good old 6-string and chapman stick).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

As far as raw talent goes, John Petrucci (guitarist), Mike Portnoy (drummer), and John Wyeung (sp? bassist) are truely some of the best about in their field, and some of their instrumental stuff is truely mind blowing. Great band with more musical talent than you can shake a large stick at.... a large pointed stick at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

dream theater > the combined talent and musical knowledge that all mainstream "bands"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

they are indeed a very good band, although they released a few stinkers(six degrees of inner turbulence isn't great)

i love Images and Words,Awake and Scenes From A Memory.
    Amazing musicians but they sometimes have the tendency to play really technically for the sake of it, although i'm not really complaining about that!!

anyone who hasn't got it should definitely get the dvd "Scenes From A memory live" - excellent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah they played Vicar Street a few years ago.. A really good gig.. Have seen them a few times, always amazing live.

• Advertisement

Pugsley wrote:
    John Wyeung (sp? bassist)

John Myung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I love them, I saw them in Vicar St and they were great. I recommend Images and Words and Awake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I dont like the way James LaBrie sings, he has good range and obviously has some talent but whats with the way he does high notes, sorta whiney and irritating, love the instrumentals tho. Basically if they got a different singer then I'd be a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

What a band!!?? Just getting into them myself. Have the 'memories' album and want more more more!!! They are bastards though, the way the mess up time signatures and make it damn hard to play away with at home. Bought the mike portnoy dvd and he explains a lot about what going on. Baffling to say the least.
    can you hear the Street Fighteresque sound in 'Overture 1928' always make me smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Spunky if you like that check out Rush albums for awsome time changes and signatures the hottest band on the planet..OUCH!!!!!

ciao' Baggio................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Bought 'awake' a wee while ago. Brilliant album. That trio of songs 'A Mind beside itself' is great.

awake is brilliant, one of their best, especially space-dye vest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 theyellowdart12

OH yeah by far a great band. but ill have to agree with some posts. the band are great. but the vocals could be better, ......but having said that , dont take offense im a die hard TOOL fan so id compare all bands vocals to maynard, but other than that they rock , love the drums :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Oh and another thing, if your a fan of Dream Theatre, definately check out 'Threshold', a superb british band with a very similar style to Dream Theatre, while not as impressive I find them far more enjoyable to listen to, more consistantly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I like them a lot more since they got someone to sit on the keyboard player on the new album and started writing some RIFFS! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

One thing though... I was originally told to listen to Dream Theater by way of "Hey, you like jazz, you like metal, check these guys out, they're jazz-metal!" Are any of their albums more jazzy than awake, or was the guy who recommended them wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

He was just plain wrong, they are miles away from jazz. If you really want jazzy metallish stuff, check out Cynic's album Focus, Atheist's album Unquestionable Presence, Control And Resistance by Watchtower and for instrumental stuff, check out Ohm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Is Dream Theater playing Master Of Puppets for sale

no, you don't buy it. I can get it though

How

• Advertisement

not until january

now you've confused me

Its available from the following site for $15 - I don't think you have to be a fan club member to order from them, but I'm not positive! The site doesn't appear to ask for membership number!
    http://www.ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=6&idproduct=16

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Doctor J wrote:
    I like them a lot more since they got someone to sit on the keyboard player on the new album and started writing some RIFFS! :D

Amen Brother!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have just 3 of their songs downloaded on mp3 and love them,one "called pull me under".
    Ive been meaning to get into these guys,what CDs you lads suggest?

I like Train Of Thought.

Die hard DT fans seem to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doctor J wrote:
    He was just plain wrong, they are miles away from jazz. If you really want jazzy metallish stuff, check out Cynic's album Focus, Atheist's album Unquestionable Presence, Control And Resistance by Watchtower and for instrumental stuff, check out Ohm.

Don't forget "A Sceptic's Universe" by Spiral Architect.

Train of Thought is really good, but the best album has to be 'Scenes from a Memory' and 'A change of Seasons' & 'Awake' are excellent too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 theyellowdart12

oh i know a guy who has the master of pupits cover by dream theatre. hes says its crap , and that they should stick to their own thing, apparently the vocals just dont go with the song :confused: dont ask me how he got it, someone put aload of songs on his media player for him, and thats one of em

• Advertisement

No, James LeBrie (that his name?) doesn't have Hetfield's vocal growl but it's still pretty cool. I've the entire MOP bootleg gig. And some videos of it too :D

Advertisement