Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchicore Arsonist

Options
  • 01-12-2004 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Just to paint the picture - about 1am this morning...

Some in-breed was lighting green bags that had been put out last night (green bags = green bins for those without wheelie bins).

A few had been lit on our road, and not to put a fine point on it, it wasn't just someone flicking matches on them - there was IMO an accelerant(sp?) used - I'm no expert but I would be of that opinion. The neighbours bag went up very quick from when it was discovered, which eventually spread to ours (on the other side of the poll) - but the problem was that it also set their car on fire. Luckily the fire brigade were pretty quick - but not before the car was ruined. Could have been much worse.

Now you're thinking to yourself - well it was stupid putting out such things the night before. Never been a problem before, but it gets worse.

The gardai arrived just after the fire brigade, the fire brigade had done their job - no messing - and had gone. The gardai were taking statements and just as they were about to leave, one of the gardai said - oh does that look like more smoke? Dark smoke against a dark sky - a bit away, looked like it but it could have been anything. So off they went to check it out.

Turns out a few other fires had been set, but the worst...

Someone had a motor bike parked just outside their house - these houses don't have front gardens, just really a "yard" about 3 foot deep in front - most with wall. "They'd"? taken one of these bags, and positioned under the motor bike, and set it on fire, which set the motor bike on fire. Potentially it could have set the house on fire - it blew out the windows of the house - and there were people in the house. I don't think anyone was hurt but Jeez how serious can this get?.

The gardai have been around again a few times - but if anyone has any knowledge (unlikely I know...) please give the gardai in Kilmanham a call. I can't imagine the bags being put out overnight again - but someone as determined and systematic as this could easily have (or will) kill someone.

D.

Advertisement