Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advise: Marilyn Manson

Options
  • 10-04-2001 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Lo All,
    first post on these 'ere music boards. smile.gif
    Anyhew, after listening to a few songs by Marilyn Manson, i kinda like 'em.
    Not normally my sort of music but hey,
    so i want to know what would be a good album to get? Cashin in birthday vouchers etc'
    Soooo any info is helpful.

Cheers,
    Gideon.

[This message has been edited by Gideon2000 (edited 10-04-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Advise: Avoid at all costs.

All in all is all we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR

get it now!
    one of the best albums ever made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

All their albums are cack - the odd ok song here and there but a lot of rubbish. Buy the soundtrack to 'Lost Highway', which as well as having the best MM song on it, has plenty of other great stuff by David Bowie, Lou Reed, Angelo Badalamenti etc.

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 10-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Oh please God don't spend vounchers on that tripe!!!!
    Go out and get Grace - Jeff Buckley or something.Something that will last you for ever.

Oh be quiet you ignorami

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

"Last Tour on Earth", the live album, is the only MM album I actually like. Take from that what you will smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Musically I neither like nor dislike him but to be honest i think he tries way too hard to shock.
    To ozzy osbourne (the man himself) it came naturally as well as alice cooper but it looks really phony when MM does it. Plus people dont get shocked any more, unless ironically your in these equality activist groups

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

marlin manson = pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

personally, i think he's a good laugh.
    ya sure they try the whole 'shock' approach, which i quite enjoy - the hilarious videos and ott costumes etc.
    also the start of 'i dont like the drugs but the drugs like me' on the live cd they did, i never laughed so much as i did at that. if you've heard that one you'll know what i mean. smile.gif
    gets them loads of publicity and helps enourmously with sales im sure
    but they have some pretty good music too
    the new album 'holywood' is quite good overall.
    mecahincal animals is sposed to be quite good too i think
    go away and download a few off holywood. 'target audience', 'the fight song' and 'disposable teens' are a few good ones.

[This message has been edited by davoc (edited 10-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

man go copy someones cd or something.
    its really not worth spending money on when two months down the road you'll be disposing of it in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I bought Holywood a couple a weeks ago, and I honestly wasn't expecting that much - I wasn't particularly a fan of Manson.

Anyway, as soon as I heard it, I was pleasently suprised..... i've only heard certain songs off his previous albums but Holywood is a great album.

Its not all death metal type stuff either, there's some brilliant melodious songs on there too smile.gif

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

Holywood is not a great album, its Mansons worst.

I hate when people say they like the live album but nothing else of mansons.
    the songs on the live album 'Last tour..' sound about a tenth as good as they do on the real albums.

Get 'Portrait of an American Family, 'Antichrist Superstar' or 'Mechanical Animals'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Antichrist is a good album and worht having.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Get "Portrait of an American Family" 'cos "Lunchbox" is just the best Manson song ever smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Mechanical Animals is pretty good.....i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I hate when people say they like the live album but nothing else of mansons.</font>

Tough. Most of his studio stuff is pretentious rubbish. Mechanical Animals is a particularly good example of this, and Antichrist Superstar is a downright terrible album. Holy Wood is surprisingly good, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

MM is a product manufactured by a record company. Buy the new Archenemy album when it comes out in a couple of weeks time.

Now that is the alternative to the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Antichrist Superstar Antichrist Superstar Antichrist SuperstarAntichrist SuperstarAntichrist SuperstarAntichrist SuperstarvvAntichrist SuperstarAntichrist SuperstarAntichrist SuperstarAntichrist SuperstarAntichrist SuperstarAntichrist Superstar

Gasps for Air!

Get it its a fine piece of work one of his finest albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Ronan , I hate to punch a gaping hole in yer post but That album is by maryln Manson , and by his very nature , Maryln manson sucks and his music is a load of cobblers

This may seem a little simplistic , but look at this post for a moment or two ...the inherent logic will shine through smile.gif

Shrewgar!

Bah u and ur big words! Its all a matter of taste bel I find his music good and enjoyable, and I do beleive i have every right to consider it not as a bunch of cobblers as you have put it.What pray tell are u into??

Have a nice day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Hey a lot of varied views, but then again this is Marlyn Manson.
    Thanks anyhew for all of them.
    I have downloaded a few songs, mainly Sweet Dreams, Disposible Teens, Target Audience, Dope Show, and mmmm Anti-Christ Superstar.
    I think they are mainly good, and i'm off durning the week to make the MASSIVE investment of Antichrist Superstar. Yes MASSIVE heh heh.

Now in my varied tastes, what Thin Lizzy one should i get hmmmmmm, well i guess thats a different post intirely.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ronan|Raven
    ^^^^^^I was in the ****es laughing at that for some reason!? I was a bit drunk granted but jesus thats so simple its brillant. Brillant i tells ya. Pity da foo' that thinks otherwize.

Cheers,
    Gideon biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Gideon2000 (edited 15-04-2001).]

Me? Mainly Punk rock *dont laught* Nofx and stuff , anyhing indie aswell , but goddammit I hate all this Manson crap. Its exploitational stuff , Shrewd PR ,anti Establismentism and this supposed Evil thing .Its al l very fake . So naturally it draws all the Poor teens stricken with agnst and the usual compliment of Goths . Its all very sad , Mutual masturbation of egos , The audience get the benefit of Buying into some anti-utopian ideal of a Satanic Evil world or whatever you draw from the mans albums . While manson himself gets all the little dollars in his pockets . This , folks is Capitalism , but it just ****es me off when so much Pseudo anti-idealist crap is drawn into the frame ,its just a little manipulative

Shrewgar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Hey Belisarius,
    one of the main reasons that i didn't listen to him before is cos of the pr and his whole image, just looked like a prat smile.gif but the music isn't bad at all. Ill leave ya argue with Raven or whatever, but what ya think of the music, didn't say anything about it. Every band group etc has its own type of pr and i think that for the majourity that his pr pays off for him. The whole goth cult following would stand to that. anyyyyyhewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. its all about the music in the end.

Thats all,
    Gideon.

His music isnt anything special , but then its not particualarly bad . But most Marylyn manson fans dont really listen to the music , theyll be able to list off the albums and give you the background to each and every song but they dont actually listen to the music , Like most of the Rock culture theese days , They hardly listen to the music ,but can tell you all about Linkin Parks new Video or Limp Bizkits latest tiffle with OtherbandX .Its like theyre not Musicians more proffessional Celebrities . Like that Brand New on MTV , That cult show for the Musically evolved , when in reality its Hello frickin magasine for the Rock community .
    However I may be being too harsh , The beamish in me may make me ...snappy , Ill finish it up on a rather comprimising note

Maryln Manson: average music *not the worst really* , Hugely Inflated , Exploitation of Attention seeking Goths smile.gif

Shrewgar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

WOW - ru the metal messiah, risen from the grave to save us from MM, the antichrist superstar.

I may as well add something!

Everyone to there own style! I have a large and varied and i mean varied taste in mucic I progressed from a grounding in Metallica and Slayer to the extremes of Cradle of Filth and Napalm Death among others.And hell yes they are all good it just depends i spose on what ya can tolarate.Hell I love pink floyd as well.Now ive gone completly off the point i was going to make and cant rememebr what it was dOH!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tazz T:
    MM is a product manufactured by a record company.
    </font>

No, that is not true, and if you knew ANYTHING about manson then you would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Mechanical Animals !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

my god belisarius, i bet you think you're really smart cos you were able to come with a really complicated big word filled point about MM. maybe everything you said was true, i dunno, but jesus you had nothing to say bout his music at all.

Quote-"They hardly listen to the music ,but can tell you all about Linkin Parks new Video or Limp Bizkits latest tiffle with OtherbandX "

you just did nearly the same thing. all you could say bout MM's music was it aint notin special. theres a lot more to music than that. why should we care how an artist gets his records on the shelves? be it by hard work, or just being manufactured my a record company. its whats in the music, the songs, that counts. maybe some teenage goths really are duped by the whole PR thing behind manson, but MAYBE some of them really can relate to his songs, which is all that matters in the end.
    you're just after giving us all an example of the snobbery that exists in music today. you think your "higher" than the rest of us cos you havent fallen into PR trap, because you only like the more refined music that nobodys ever heard of. well F**K that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

AntiChrist Superstar is the only one of his worth buying.

Get some Type O Negative though, they kick his ass.

Advertisement