Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCDSU, Get the HELL off my site.

Options
  • 01-12-2004 10:36pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The president of the SU has had at least the courage to declare his identity when posting about such issues.

However Mr D Curran, aka Macaco, decided that I am some sort of moron and wouldnt discover that he has a position on the SU council, (Post Grad, Arts).

Considering that the SU complained to us about this thread and we worked with them to rectify their complaints in a timely manner I'm EXTREMELY unhappy about this. I asked and was assured that there was no connection. Obviously the SU feels it position here is so untenable that it must rope in ringers to "anonymously" support its case.

Well, here's one for you. I want every single last SU Council member, Officer and Significant Other off my website. Now. The president may remain to defend the union and because he, at least, shows integrity.

I so much as *smell* another underhand trick in this thread believe me noone will be happy. Go look up Glenstal or talk to the regulars here if you want to know what sort of reactionary I am because I'm not f*ckin joking.

Any other groups with vested interest in this discussion had better declare it too. I'm an equal opportunities tyrant.

SU Off. Now. Bye.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

/me pops head up from under the table.
    Is it safe to come out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

DeVore wrote:
    The president of the SU has had at least the courage to declare his identity when posting about such issues.

However Mr D Curran, aka Macaco, decided that I am some sort of moron and wouldnt discover that he has a position on the SU council, (Post Grad, Arts).

Considering that the SU complained to us about this thread and we worked with them to rectify their complaints in a timely manner I'm EXTREMELY unhappy about this. I asked and was assured that there was no connection. Obviously the SU feels it position here is so untenable that it must rope in ringers to "anonymously" support its case.

Well, here's one for you. I want every single last SU Council member, Officer and Significant Other off my website. Now. The president may remain to defend the union and because he, at least, shows integrity.

I so much as *smell* another unhand trick in this thread believe me noone will be happy. Go look up Glenstal or talk to the regulars here if you want to know what sort of reactionary I am because I'm not f*ckin joking.

Any other groups with vested interest in this discussion had better declare it too. I'm an equal opportunities tyrant.

SU Off. Now. Bye.

DeV.

You go girl!! :D

I couldn't agree more, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

DeVore wrote:

Considering that the SU complained to us about this thread

My god. Did i read that right? the students union complaining about students expressing their own opinions?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, to be fair to them they complained that some of the comments were personal and untrue. I asked the mod to clean up certain uncivil comments directed at the president. This was done. I'm not about to edit anyones fairly held belief/opinion but blunt abuse is a different story and not what we run this site for.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 killbillie

For someone who claims on another thread, DeVore, to be all for free speach you are being extremely draconian. Surely are the opinions of every UCD student as equally valid as anyone else's? And surely just because they are a member of the SU council or a Exec officer or whatever doesn't invalidate their opinions. Btw yes I am a SU council member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

killbillie wrote:
    doesn't invalidate their opinions. Btw yes I am a SU counil member.

invalidate no. Cast in a certain light yes. If you are defending the union purporting to be unbiased and it transpires you have an interest then you have been deliberately misleading people. I have had to say who I am and what I do as well. Involvement doesn't mean you can't voice an opinion - in fact you have a degree of insight which makes this a more informative and balanced debate. But deliberately misleading people is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

killbillie wrote:
    For someone who claims on another site, DeVore, to be all for free speach you are being extremely draconian.
    Free speech doesn't extend to using other people resources, when they object to it.
    killbillie wrote:
    Btw yes I am a SU counil member.
    Wilma, pass a shotgun, we got ourselves a trespasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For anyone who doesn't get reasoning behind declaring your interests, take this scenario:

There's a plot of land for sale. It looks like ****. Some people walking by stop and comment on it, and its state. Another group stops and comments too, perhaps saying that it's maybe not so bad, and what you could do with it.
    Then a guy appears, seemingly just a passer-by, as he stopped in his car when he saw the congregated crowd. He's defending this plot of land, making statements as to the great things that could be done with it, and speaking with some authority as to the history of the land, the benefits of the surrounding facilities available, perhaps even the feritility of the land.
    Being a passer-by, people will assume he's maybe a quantity surveyor, or a man with some experience in property.

He does, however, stand to make millions of euro from the sale of this land. Would it be OK for him to stand and argue with someone who disagrees, without first declaring his obvious biase, and interest in making this land appear better than it may be?

I'm all for free speech too, except where it's expressed under a pretence of impartiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

seamus wrote:
    He does, however, stand to make millions of euro from the sale of this land. Would it be OK for him to stand and argue with someone who disagrees, without first declaring his obvious biase, and interest in making this land appear better than it may be?

I'm all for free speech too, except where it's expressed under a pretence of impartiality.
    If someone asked him straight was he involved and he denied it, then it's even more slimey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

/me crawls back under the table...

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    Free speech doesn't extend to using other people resources, when they object to it.

Sorry but are these boards not the resources of UCD as a whole as they are the UCD message boards?

killbillie wrote:
    Sorry but are these boards not the resources of UCD as a whole as they are the UCD message boards?
    No. They don't belong to, nor have any affiliation with UCD or UCDSU.

When I said UCD I meant the students/staff etc of UCD. Who owns these boards so?

www.boards.ie owns these boards.

Specifically the admins here own these boards. And none of them go to UCD.

Thanks for clarifying that there

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Right now I look like this:

:eek:

Um, I own this site. Myself and 4 of my mates. No investment, no shareholders, no directors and certainly no connection to UCD.

Jesus, you people have a fuckin' nerve! *shakes head*

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Heh this is funny :D

DCU have that thread where they spam each other and have a big ol bitch fight out on boards and now UCD has this :D

If only these forums had existed earlier. Would of given everyone a right ol chuckle :D

What URL do UCD people access it ffrom?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Respect to DeVore - it's great to see a stand being taken. These anonymous SU people didn't seem to realise that the UCD boards.ie people don't like our party being crashed and crap of the sort that these SU officers did put up here. These boards are a credit to the admins - i've been here for the past two years or so - and it's a shame that people like the anonymous SU people came in with their bulldozer act.

Boards is about to celebrate its 5th birthday actually! :)
    I think there is a [wiki]Boards.ie[/wiki] [wiki]Biki [/wiki] entry about its history.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

LMAO at Tribble

BTW how did you find out who the guy was DeV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Red Alert wrote:
    Respect to DeVore - it's great to see a stand being taken. These anonymous SU people didn't seem to realise that the UCD boards.ie people don't like our party being crashed and crap of the sort that these SU officers did put up here.
    Perhaps that why some people don't really like the SU.

*hint hint* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Ah pity i missed this. What happened anyway?

UCDSU people were posting on boards about election issues under the subterfuge of being joe bloggs ucd student and not "outing" themselves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement