Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hersheys

• 01-12-2004 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

People seem to either love or Hate Hersheys chocolate. The cookies and cream bars are so good. so are Reeses Cups.
    Why don't they sell them here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They taste all kinds of awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

All that cardboard goodness. IMHO, all American chocolate sucks. Really, REALLY sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Doesn't suck but not all that great, give me the European choc ove the UK/Irish stuff any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,942 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, agree wholeheartedly with most of the people here.

When i was on holidays in Canada / US, i could not stick those American chocolate bars!

Had 2 chocolate bars during the time i spent there: 'Oh, Henry' bar and 'Butterfinger'.... Butterfinger was just concentrated sugar (horrible!) and 'Oh, Henry' wasn't too bad, but can't beat the good ol' European chocolate.

Also had some of those Hershey Peanut Butter Cups / Bars.... they're absolutely disgusting!

Though i did get hooked on a couple of the soft drinks over there, such as Mr. Pibb and Kool-Aid (ohhh yeah!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I'd have to choose belgium choc above any other chocolate.

American chocolate (or candy as they call it) is just gross. I bought a twix once while in Boston as a J1er and it was so not like the twix ya get here in Ireland. I donno what kinda chocolate they use but its bloody awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

frodi wrote:
    Doesn't suck but not all that great, give me the European choc ove the UK/Irish stuff any time.

Well, if you're talking Belgian or French than I would tend to agree. But what about German and Spanish chocolate? Utter cack. No offence to Germany and Spain, well.... except to your chocolate making abilities. I deride your chocolate making abilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Bass.exe wrote:
    Well, if you're talking Belgian or French than I would tend to agree. But what about German and Spanish chocolate? Utter cack. No offence to Germany and Spain, well.... except to your chocolate making abilities. I deride your chocolate making abilities!

Yes that what I meant. Belgan and french mmmmm....... German so so, spain too hot for proper choc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Belgian or Swiss chocolate - yummm. American chocolate is never great - it's often too sweet and it just tastes cheap. Sometimes as it if were bad cooking chocolate. They think it's wonderful though so either they're deluding themselves or have never got their hands on the really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I hate those Hershey Kisses. Yuck.

Give me Swiss chocolate any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah u can get herseys here
    but its rottennnnnnn
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I mean, why don't they sell it properly, not just imported stuff.

Its all the same as far as I can see, its rotten in the US anyway, has this unusual coco flavour off it.

Now MILKA bars, thats a different story.... yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Yeah, they're nice. I gotta get some next time im in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I had a butterfinger last night, it was rotten. It was like eating a spoon full of peanuty sugar.

Yeuch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭savemejebus

as a rule i hate hersheys chocolate but there is always an exception and cookies and cream are truly that, damn fine choc bars (and i don't even like white chocolate)

on the subject of us choc bars babe ruths are nice, kina like picnic bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

ixoy wrote:
    Belgian or Swiss chocolate - yummm. American chocolate is never great - it's often too sweet and it just tastes cheap. Sometimes as it if were bad cooking chocolate. They think it's wonderful though so either they're deluding themselves or have never got their hands on the really good stuff.

I think the reason American chocolate from candy bar makers tastes so bad is because of the higher level of wax content in the recipes and too much sugar. I didn't know how much better chocolate could be until I tasted Belgian and South American products. You do have to get your hands on the really good products - and when you do it's wonderful stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Yeah, most mainstream US chocolate doesnt hold a candle to the Irish/British stuff. Doesnt stop me from eating it though. Thankfully, there is some irish/brit chocolate in the Irish section at my local Stop'N Shop grocery store.

I can't help but notice from the above few posts that we have a few people posting from outside of Ireland.

Thats cool, nice to see that, where all ye guys from? I was under the impression that being boards.ie that users were only irish national or irish living/working abroad!

Well I just moved to London 3 months ago. I was in Dublin before that my whole life.

Ah very good, so you are a "Paddy" (hate the term) then so!

Anyway, welcome to the chocolate forum, now back on topic please.... my fault actually!

Choccie...................... YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gah, Hersheys tastes like sawdust and cigarette ash. Blergh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Found it very bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hersheys is too dry but not all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

American chocolate is absolutely brutal, i truly pity americans, they're missing out on so much. Whenever my american cousins visit over here they bring boxes of dairy milks back home with 'em :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i really like the cookies n cream bar. not bothered about the rest

Could you imagine how fat Americans* would be if they had decent chocolate.. Scary :eek:

*Forgive mass generalisation, but there is a high percentage that are obese*

*I hate being so pc.

You can buy cadburys in America just about everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's a great book called "The Chocolate Wars" detailing the emergence of Mars and Hershey as the two majot chocolate manufacturers in the States. It's really very interesting and gives some insight into the Hershey flavour, which is definitely more sour and grainy than we're used to here in Europe.

Some Hershey's chocolate is terrible. The purple kisses taste really sour, but in contrast the Kisses bars that they sell here aren't too bad at all. The cookies'n'creme bar is also lovely.

Personally, I really like the Reese's Peanut Butter cups. They use a very sweet chooclate in those, very unlike the normal hershey's choc. Americans love peanut butter. In fact, any attempt to launch a hazelnut flavoured bar never really took off over there, whereas, we're kind of the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

I got Hersheys chocolate when i was in New York coz I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It was mingin :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Lorcan26

I loooooooooove hersheys, and as people were talking about european choc here, i would just like to say that Lindt, by lindor, are grrrreat and reallly nice. recommend to anyone

Advertisement