Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General knowledge thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

While a member of Buffalo Springfield, and still relatively unknown, Neil Young penned the song Mr Soul. ____ _______ wanted to record the song, but Neil would not allow it.

Which soul legend fills the blanks above?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    an artificial human heart

really?! How wonderfully strange...

/ me runs off and googles to find out more

James Brown?

Papa Hoff wrote:
    James Brown?
    nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Stephen Stills?

Egyptian wrote:
    Stephen Stills?
    no - and not a soul legend. The person in question was not a member of Buffalo Springfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Did he invent something like a telescope or a kids toy?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    While a member of Buffalo Springfield, and still relatively unknown, Neil Young penned the song Mr Soul. ____ _______ wanted to record the song, but Neil would not allow it.

Which soul legend fills the blanks above?
    What is your obsession with Neil Young? We don't know anything about fu*king Neil Young

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

CoolCiaran wrote:
    What is your obsession with Neil Young? We don't know anything about fu*king Neil Young
    Yeah, what he said.

And it was Otis Redding.

I'm too lazy to name the members of Crazy Horse I can think of (seven - edit: and that wouldn't be a full list) and because of all the messing about and frequent changes in 1972ish it was a pretty crappy question anyway (no offence intended but it'd never be asked as a table-quiz style question for this very reason and hence for the purposes of this thread it's a pretty crappy question).

So I'll let anyone who feels like asking a question not about Neil Young, Crazy Horse or in fact anything to do with music at all take the floor as I do like to drop into this thread every few weeks.

• Advertisement

Why do we have eggs at Easter?

RuggieBear wrote:
    Why do we have eggs at Easter?
    Because heaven and earth were thought to have been formed from two halves of an egg so an egg was an obvious symbol to early Christians of Jesus' resurrection, hence it was felt a most appropriate and holy part of the Easter celebration

CoolCiaran wrote:
    Because heaven and earth were thought to have been formed from two halves of an egg so an egg was an obvious symbol to early Christians of Jesus' resurrection, hence it was felt a most appropriate and holy part of the Easter celebration

The perfect answer....too perfect!!!!
    http://www.night.net/easter/egghist.html-ssi :D
    No googling allowed!!!! :p
    The Easter egg is venerable indeed. While the gaily colored cardboard ones and rich chocolate ones that we enjoy are quite recent in origin, the real egg, decorated with colors or gilt, has been acknowledged as a symbol of continuing life and resurrection since pre-Christian spring celebrations. Given as gifts by the ancient Greeks, Persians, and Chinese at their spring festivals, the egg also appears in pagan mythology, where we read of the Sun-Bird being hatched from the World Egg. in some pagan customs, the Heaven and Earth were thought to have been formed from two halves of an egg. As the egg was an obvious symbol to early Christians of Jesus' Resurrection, it was felt to be a most appropriate and holy part of the Eastertide celebration. Even as early as the Middle Ages, eggs were colored to be given as gifts at Easter; Edward I's accounts for 1290 include the expense of purchasing hundreds of eggs to be distributed to his household. in the 17th century, pope Paul V blessed the humble egg in a prayer to be used in England, Scotland, and Ireland: "Bless, O Lord, we beseech Thee, this Thy creature of eggs, that it may become a wholesome sustenance to Thy faithful servants, eating in thankfulness to Thee, on account of the Resurrection of Our Lord." Forbidden during the solemn fast of Lent, eggs were reintroduced on Easter Sunday, both as part of the feasting and as gifts for family, friends, and servants.

Sorry but that question was just too hard, I had to google
    Someone ask a question

Who said to rule in a Plutocracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

CoolCiaran wrote:
    Who said to rule in a Plutocracy?

CoolCiaran !

?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Pluto?

do you mean:
    Who is said to rule in a Plutocracy?

coz plutocracy is rule by the wealthy

or
    Who said "to rule in a Plutocracy"?

could it have been said by Marx or Leinin or someone of that ilk?

Yeah sorry,the question is actully ''Who is said to rule in a plutocracy'' and RuggieBear got it right with the wealthy, now your question Ruggieear...

Without looking it up, who has the most posts on Boards.ie, according to present post counts? :D

• Advertisement

Hobbes?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Hobbes?

Altho i do believe he has made the most posts ever on Boards....his post count was reset a while back....so no, it's not Hobbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DeVore?
    I'm intrigued; why was his post count reset?

rkm wrote:
    DeVore?
    I'm intrigued; why was his post count reset?

yep!

tbh, i'm not sure why Hobbes' was reset as it happened before my time on Boards....but probably be on 16000-18000 if it hadn't been, i guess!

Whats the best selling video game ever?

Tetris?

nope

The Sims?

fraid not

• Advertisement

Halo?