Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General knowledge thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

South Pole ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How long has it been ... ?
    And it's not the South Pole (and of course rain includes other forms of percipitation too)

Theres a mountainous desert in Chile (can't remeber the name) that hasn't seen significant rain in over 400 years - would that be it?

I'm pretty sure that the place is right. It is in Desierto de Atacama (near Calma, Chile). But i remember that there was a big pour of rain there in 1971. It might have rained since then though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You are right about places in the atacama surviving for 400 years since last evidence of rain. But there is a place that has even less..

Bump !
    Here is a clue - it's a LOT longer than 400 years.

I'll post another question tonight if no takers.

• Advertisement

When you say the world's driest place do you mean the place with the least amount of precipitation per year, or the place that has lasted the longest without precipitation?

Longest without any evidence of percipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This hurts my head. I saw a program about this where some guy went to all the extremest places (coldest, wettest, driest, hottest).

The driest place is some salt plain type place and I think it's in a massive hallow. Not sure about the last bit though

A new question, about End of Empire - AFAIK this was the last territory annexed by our Neighbours.

Where is it ?
    "By authority of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith etc, etc., etc., and in accordance with Her Majesty's instructions dated the 14th day of September, 1955, a landing was effected this day upon this island of #### from HMS ####. The Union flag was hoisted and possession of the island was taken in the name of Her Majesty. [Signed] ####, Captain, HMS ####, 18th September, 1955."

This hurts my head. I saw a program about this where some guy went to all the extremest places
    IIRC it was the most extreme inhabited places.

Ok then a different question..

What was the biggest prison ?

• Advertisement

A new question, about End of Empire - AFAIK this was the last territory annexed by our Neighbours.

Where is it ?

I think this was the island of Rockall (sp?) from HMS Vidal (sp?). I know it happened in that year but I may be wrong about the date.

What was the biggest prison

Devil's Island?

I think this was the island of Rockall (sp?) from HMS Vidal (sp?). I know it happened in that year but I may be wrong about the date.
    Give the man a cigar !

BTW. 2,000,000 years and Oz

Your question.

/takes cigar.

What country invented soccer, and what country had the first professional league?

I'll go with the obvious answer of England to get the ball rolling.

Nope. (The answer to both questions isn't the same country BTW.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ninja Turtle

I'll say England invented soccer (the FA standardised the rules, giving birth to soccer as its known today) and I would've said England had the first professional leagues as well, but since you said they are different countries, I'll take a stab with Italy?

It' not England nor Italy I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Time up

Where is Melee Island?

the Monkey Island game. I'll hold off asking a question to make sure thats the melee island your talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, Im Impressed you got that.

/takes cigar.

What country invented soccer, and what country had the first professional league?

BTW, the answer to this was China and Scotland.

Theres one McDonalds in the world where the colour of the arches isn't yellow.

Where is it?
    Aristotle wrote:
    BTW, the answer to this was China and Scotland.

Cool, that was bugging me for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

There is one in disney land ( I think its animal kingdom) with no arches. The foods the same but the look is nothing like McDonalds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Is it in Asheville USA?

I dont think its that much of a different colour either its made out of GOLD!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

ok new question,what is the capital of upper volta?

Ouagadougou

What is the name of the Upper Volta today?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

burkina faso

What is the name of the father and son who won a nobel prize for physics.

• Advertisement

William and Lawrence Bragg?

Advertisement