Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General knowledge thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Jonathan Swift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Blisterman wrote:
    Jonathan Swift
    Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What is the only band to play Woodstock, Live Aid and Live 8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not the what - The Who

What word has all the vowels in alphabetical order?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Facetious

I'm sure that there's another...Can't think of it at the mo.

Edit:
    A quick google & here's the the longest word with the five vowels in alphabetical order:
    Phragelliorhynchus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Hill Billy wrote:
    Facetious

I'm sure that there's another...Can't think of it at the mo.

Abstemious.

The name of the little doohickey at the end of your shoelace that stops it unravelling? And doohickey won't be accepted!

aglet?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Yup!

What is the name of the city used as the typical average mainstream American city??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hicksville, maybe Nowhere U.S.A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

tricky D wrote:
    What is the name of the city used as the typical average mainstream American city??

Omaha (sp) ... [sings] somewhere in middle America [/sings]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

don't understand the question.
    used by whom ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

tricky D wrote:
    Meridian City

Ok then, a bit more specific:

It's the typical average mainstream city often used by politicians, demographers, market testers and successful acts on the Vaudeville circuit amongst others. 'If it works in ???? it'll work anywhere' or 'will it play in ???'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

tricky D wrote:
    Ok then, a bit more specific:

It's the typical average mainstream city often used by politicians, demographers, market testers and successful acts on the Vaudeville circuit amongst others. 'If it works in ???? it'll work anywhere' or 'will it play in ???'

Washington ?? or Franklin ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boise

One of america's best stand-up comedians was raised in a whorehouse in this city. Now deceased.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Detroit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

some town in illinois. but i can't for the life of me think what it is called

peoria

• Advertisement

peoria
    yup

tricky D wrote:
    yup

Ah but i must admit i had to google Richard Pryor to find answer, i feel so dirty.

My turn i suppose,

What is the name of the worlds deepest lake and where is it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Lake Baikal. Russia.

somebody else ask the next question please.

What was the biggest freshwater lake seen by anyone ?

[edit]- sorry have to wait until the above answer is rubber stamped - even if it holds 1/4 of the all the freshwater and has seals n' things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'll say Lake Superior. But they way you've phrased the question does not inspire me with confidence :D

[edit]Unless the Aral sea is freshwater. And seeing as it's used for irrigation I'm going to guess it is.

Pal wrote:
    Lake Baikal. Russia.

somebody else ask the next question please.

Yes, Lake Baikal in Siberia, Russia

No it's not Lake Superior.
    Or the Aral Sea, offhand I can't remember if it was salty but it's now a lot saliter and a fraction of it's former size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I only mentioned it because of your phrasing. It used to be the biggest lake in th e world but isn't anymore. I'll say Lake Baikal again then - and that's only cos I googled it :D. It's the biggest by volume while Superior is the biggest by surface area.

Not sure about volume of liquid, but the one I'm thinking of had a larger area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Which broadsheet newspaper has the world's largest circulation for an English language daily paper?

Advertisement