Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General knowledge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Which planet has the longest day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Besides Earth........The winner, with 243 Earth days......Venus!

Besides Earth? I think 243 days is longer than 1 day :p

And you missed the secret bonus point - if only you'd mentioned that its day is longer than its year ;)

Next question...

Actually wondering whay I typed "Besides Earth"....oh well ....momentary lapse of reason I guess.
    New Question

You see a statue of a soldier on a horse in a park: if the horse has both front legs off the ground...what does that signify?

That the soldier died in battle.

[edit]But that's actually an urban myth so the real answer is 'nothing' :D [/edit]

• Advertisement

Right on both counts!
    I took it that people would be aware of it even though it was a myth.
    Onwards!

How much did SSF raise last year? (try googling that one :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

over 6k

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

6K or under then

hehe - there's a specific number mentioned in a post on the 13th Nov. It's not that hard to find ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Macros42 wrote:
    hehe - there's a specific number mentioned in a post on the 13th Nov. It's not that hard to find ... ;)
    I thought the point of this thread was Knowledge, not seaching ;)

Oh alright then. Ruggie is right technically :p But I thought one of you mods might have read the announcement from Devore about SSF :p - 7k+ was the amount Dev mentioned in it :p

Next question so :)

Macros42 wrote:
    Oh alright then. Ruggie is right technically :p But I thought one of you mods might have read the announcement from Devore about SSF :p - 7k+ was the amount Dev mentioned in it :p

Next question so :)
    - 7K that's less than 6K , YEA! GO ME \o/

:o oh

me stops dancing

awaits Ruggie's question

What was the name of the first microprocessor, who made it and when was it announced/released first mentioned?

It was the Intel 4004. As for year - early '70s is the best I can guess.

There was an earlier one for use in a calculator to reduce the chip count, 1968ish but wasn't released at the time. Can't remember if it was TI or intel.

Macros42 wrote:
    It was the Intel 4004. As for year - early '70s is the best I can guess.

well the 4004 was what i was looking for and it was announced by intel 35 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

New Question.
    Where were French Fries invented?

(Hint, Not france)

Controversial question. Believe it or not me and some mates had a discussion about this after Sept. 11. (when they became Freedom Fries in some quarters).

The French and the Belgians both say they're Belgian. The Spanish also claim them. We agreed after about 10 pints that the term is probably American though.

[edit]btw - sorry for not posting a question. I never got a mail for Ruggie's post and forgot to check the thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

it is claimed that the 25th december is jesus' birthday...

in fact his birthday is unknown...

whose birthday is it on december 25th which the church adopted as the birth date of jesus?

[Hint: QI on Friday night]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shane McGowan?
    Dido?
    Annie Lennox?

mithras (sp) a roman god with loads of other similarities to you know who

mithras (sp) a roman god with loads of other similarities to you know who
    That's correct. I'd have answered except I didn't know it myself - I asked a mate who's a pagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

New question.
    Which came first, colour Photography, or film with sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Colour photography - 1861 by James Clerk Maxwell.

(The first known public exhibition of projected sound films took place in Paris in 1900.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

what is the lightest metal?

what is the longest river in Asia?

what do the colours of the 5 rings of the Olympic flag represent?

what is the lightest metal?
    Lithium

On French aircraft carriers which colour has the biggest area on the flag ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Lithium

On French aircraft carriers which colour has the biggest area on the flag ?

Red. The colour ratio on the flag is 30:33:37 Blue:White:Red

/ edit Can't think of a good question. Pass to someone else.

Advertisement