Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General knowledge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Nope :D .

That was a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

It wasn't that Eddie Gurerro lad, was it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 phillg

is it Eddie Guerrero?

is it Eddie Guerrero?

Question.

What is the height in feet of mt Everest?

I don't want to spoil the thread with zany back to front questions and answers so here is the question to the answer.

Q. You have heard the expression "As happy as Larry", well who was Larry?

A. Australian boxer Larry Foley (1847 - 1917).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Shane190 wrote:
    Question - When was Manchester United founded??

Founded as Newton Heath LYR 1878. Became Man Utd in 1902.

ok my previous question has not been answered yet, but here is another.

Name the only two players who have featured in every premiership (football) season to date??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

phillg wrote:
    ok my previous question has not been answered yet,
    The person who got the answer right asks the questions, there was something about it on page one ;)
    When someone tells you that you've answered their question correctly you can ask yours.

Google is cheating btw.

phillg wrote:
    ok my previous question has not been answered yet, but here is another.

Name the only two players who have featured in every premiership (football) season to date??

Ryan Giggs and Nicky Butt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

I know ur stuff Mick86 :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought Gary Speed had too?

5starpool wrote:
    I thought Gary Speed had too?

Soccerbasedotcom doesn't have any record of him making an appearance in the 94-95 season. Was he out injured?

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=7512

Who's turn is it to ask a question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

somebody ask a question plz.am new to this thread, wanna try answer

the correct answer to my questions are
    1, Mt Everest is 8,848 m/ 29,028ft
    2, Gary Speed and Ryan Giggs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

phillg wrote:
    the correct answer to my questions are
    1, Mt Everest is 8,848 m/ 29,028ft
    Actually it's more like 29,035ft

although its true that it steadily grows every year, its more likely to be milimetres, 7 feet is a little excessive.... so you are wrong its 29,028 maybe 29,029ft....

When first measured fairly accurately it was measured to be exactly 28,000 feet , so the lads added another 2 foot on to it make their measurement seem precise. (0.007% extra free \o/ )

Depending on how you measure the height of a mountain, there are two other claimants to being the worlds tallest mountain. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

phillg wrote:
    2, Gary Speed and Ryan Giggs.

These are the only 2 players who have scored in every season of the premier league.

This question was asked on the soccer forum a few months ago but I cant find it now. Think there are 7 but there are definitely 5.

you are very wrong there captain, you are saying that mt Everest is 1,029 ft shorter than what is on record? have you been up there with your measuring tape?? trust me when i say this. FACT: Mt Everest is a lot taller than 28,000 ft, i am going to stick with my original answer... 29,029ft

phillg wrote:
    you are very wrong there captain, you are saying that mt Everest is 1,029 ft shorter than what is on record? have you been up there with your measuring tape?? trust me when i say this. FACT: Mt Everest is a lot taller than 28,000 ft, i am going to stick with my original answer... 29,029ft

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Will whoever's turn it is ask a question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When first measured fairly accurately it was measured to be exactly 28,000 feet , so the lads added another 2 foot on to it make their measurement seem precise. (0.007% extra free \o/ )

Depending on how you measure the height of a mountain, there are two other claimants to being the worlds tallest mountain. ;)
    I think you meant to say first measured at 29,000 ft, and they added 2 feet.
    this was done using an early theodolite, from india

as it stands it is it is recorded at abour 29,016 feet to the highest rock, but mountains are recorded to highest point of ice or snow, so that is why the height of everest varies
    if i was answering the original question, i would of said 29,028 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

mount everest is 8,848 m high. there's 100 cm in a metre, 2.54 centimetres in an inch and 12 inches in a foot. work it out! and the worlds highest mountain is mauna kea form base to summit where only a third of it stands above sea level.(books are filled with readable stuff)

if you're in a race and you take over the person in last what position are you in?

p to the e wrote:
    if you're in a race and you take over the person in last what position are you in?

Overtaking him has no bearing on your position in the race whatsoever.

The only way you can overtake the person in last position is by lapping him. Therefore you could be in any other position in the race from 1st to 2nd last and overtake the person in last position.

Not the answer you were expecting I'm sure.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No Everest is the worlds highest mountain. Height is measure above sea level.
    mauna kea is the tallest, measure from base to height.

as Hagar is spot on about the race, you probaby meant to ask if you over take the person in 2nd, what position are you in.

p to the e wrote:
    you did say "take over" rather than overtake - so it must be in a relay race, in which case you are now in last place.
    *me wanders off to cut the barbers hair*

Chimborazo is the highest mountain ;)

surely if you overtake the person in last position then you are second last in the race or you could also be in first position if there were only people in the race therefore you were originally last or second and now you are first position.:confused::confused:

and btw chimborazo (20,560ft, 6,267m) is not the highest mountain but it is if you measure the distance from the center of the earth to the top of the peak. although it stands at 20,560 ft above sea level, it's peak is farthest from the earth's center and neither is mauna kea but is if you measure from base to peak mauna kea is the tallest mountain on earth (33,476 ft, 10,203m). either way Everest is officially the tallest mountain on earth standing at 29,035 ft, 8,850 m.:eek: :eek:

Olympus Mons ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

twas but a trick question but i'm glad to see an ability of thinking outside the box! someone ask a question!

• Advertisement

Clue an easy date to remember.

When was the synod of bishops that setup the dioceses here ?

Advertisement