Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for netlimter type program

Options
  • 01-12-2004 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a program like netlimiter, i cant get it to work on my pc at all, that will let me control bandwith of the 2 pcs on the network.
    Are there program that let me control the bandwith of the other pc from my own?
    The reason for it is, when he other pc is downloading my pings playing ut go way up making it un playable.
    If there is such a program what is it, anyone?
    Help much appreciated

Jozi

oh, both pc's use xp, connected to a router

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the only three ways of controlling bandwidth that i know of are as follows:

1) Using a program that has a built in limiter, and get everyone to use that wisely.

2) Use netlimiter

3) Setup a dedicated linux server box, and use traffic shaping on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Your best solution is probably to use something like smoothwall (linux distro that runs off a cd) that has QoS tools built in. You can then prioritise the packets for games and leave people download as normal. They'll get basically the same speed and you'll get far more normal pings.

Moved to Nets/Comms too..

Advertisement