Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Radiohead Album

• 15-04-2001 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

just read that radiohead have a new one coming out:

http://www.nme.com/NME/External/Features/Features_Interview/0,1420,23482,00.html

"On first listen, it seems that, as predicted, 'Amnesiac' is a far more commercial album than 'Kid A', and on the track 'Knives Out' in particular they've rediscovered their sense of melody."

stupid journos. still, good news for us student types. smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Cool, Kid A was a bit wierd even for my tastes.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Kid A sucks so badly its not even funny. I bought it a few months back because of all the "rave" reviews. The first time i listened to it I almost cried. So then I said to myself: "Give it a chance" . So i listened to it some more and it just gets worse. I should have known better looking at the cd insert. I hate the way people acclaim something that is so wierd they dont understand it IMO like Crouching Tiger (Ive gotten into so many arguements with people who loved that film, cmon the sword was measured in INCHES). There is no rhythm on the album, just a collection of noises they bashed together while they were trying to kill themselves. What a waste of $18 frown.gif

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Kid A was fúcking excellent.

The band took a totally new direction with there music and they really produced a class album.

If a band release the same stuff over and over they won't last.

Just listen to Kid A a couple of times and then see them play it live. Amazing.

What I've heard from the new album it sounds a bit like OK Computer. It should be class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Kid-A is the best album I've listened to in ages. I'm a radiohead fan and I actually stick Kid-A as their best work yet. If you don't get it, it doesn't mean its rubbish, and no- people aren't pretending they like it cause everyone else says so. I remember listening to it once and going - hmmm not alot of melody here, but I like it here and there and then bang it grew on me without asking.

Everything
    Everything
    Everything
    Everything
    In its right place
    In its right place
    In its right place
    In its Right place

Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

Everything
    Everything
    Everything
    In its right place
    In its right place
    Right place

There are two colors in my head
    There are two colors in my head
    What
    What is that you tried to say?
    What
    What was that you tried to say?
    Tried to say
    Tried to say
    Tried to say
    Tried to say

Everything
    Everything
    Everything

I slipped away
    I slipped on a little white lie

We've got heads on sticks
    And you've got ventriloquists
    We've got heads on sticks
    And you've got ventriloquists

Standing in the shadows at the end of my bed
    Laying in the shadows at the end of my bed

Rats and children follow me out of town
    Rats and children follow me out of town
    Come on kids

Everyone
    Everyone around here
    Everyone is so near
    What's going on?
    What's going on here?

And everyone
    Everyone is so near
    Everyone has got fear
    What's going on?
    What's going on?

What's going on?
    What's going on?
    What's going on?
    What's going on?
    Sorry, these are the lyrics to the first three songs off the album (according to a website) and excuse me for saying its a load of boll0x. Ingenious

• Advertisement

I fail to see your point? Straight forward lyrics are indicative to good music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

lyrics are a big part of music. in all fairness you couldnt seriously convince me that those lyrics actually mean something. they're either a random collection of words or Thom wrote them when he was high. the album had originality, i'll give it that much. pablo honey is they're best though. it actually is "music". in most of the songs the lyrics are about something. simple. i love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Winning Hand:
    </font>

I'm just being picky, but that should be "Yesterday I woke up soaking wet"...

Non-simplistic lyrics do not necessarily mean 'good tunes'.

Anyway - KID A ROCKS... RADIOHEAD ROCK... I look forward to anything new from them... deadly smile.gif

Bard

"and there was much rejoicing..."

I actually am (was) a fan of radiohead. I just felt really hard done by what IMO is a really shoddy album that would have been fired into the bin had the radiohead name not been attached to it. You would think that after, 4? years since their last studio album that they would come up with something better than "Yesterday I woke up soaking wet" wink.gif(am I right bard?). As for originality the thought that strike me most about the album is that its a really poor mans pink floyd, just missing any sustenance. Is it just me or are there elephants on the third track? Who knows, i may pick it up a few months from now and change my mind, im just not holding my breath for it.

P.S. I just pasted those lyrics from a website

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Vega

Radiohead is **** fullstop!!!!!!!

Westlife rule

syke

SSSLLLAAASSSHHHH!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

hehe
    its funny cos its not true smile.gif

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

hey bard, radiohead DO NOT rock. now i love radiohead, but to rock means to make you wanna get up off your ass and break stuff. radiohead cheer me up when im feelin down (is it supposed to be the other way around?)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Radiohead rule! I wasn't sure about Kid A, but after seeing them do a load of the tunes at Punchestown last year, I can whole-heartedly say it 0wn3d m3h!!! biggrin.gif

Bard was there the same night - he can testify to it!!! smile.gif

Looking forward to a new album - we'll let the music speak for itself!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

KidA on first listen was phucked up. Second and third was interesting, now I love it. Any Radiohead album I've ever heard, from Pablo to OK Comp was the same.

When I went to Punchestown to see them live last year I was very sceptical, I couldn't fathom how on earth they could do the stuff from KidA live on stage. They did and I was blown away.

KidA, whilst being an incredibly different album to anything they've done before, is still and incredible piece of music. I've played it to a selection of people I know love music and I've had everything from "That's total ****!" to "OMG, the timing on that song is unbelievable!" and "they can't do that, it's against 'the rules'!".

I like it, don't listen to it everyday, but when I do I enjoy it. Looking forward to getting the new one and a whole new Radiohead experience.

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

i liked kid A but not as a radiohead album.
    people were hugely disappointed because they expected better from radiohead. if it were an album by any other band it would have gotten MUCH greater applause.

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

After taking a look online, 'Amnesiac' is the second 'part' of KidA, essentially being the next and last collection of songs from an 18 month studio recording session.

Luc

Where they allowed out once or twice?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, there were those 3 gigs in Punchestown, so I guess so!
    <rant>
    I'll tell you something - that gig could only have been made better if my moany, whingy house mate hadn't had been there. He likes to go to concerts and SIT DOWN?!?!?! Talk about a waste of time - If I wanted to sit down at a concert, I'd listen the the CD at home.
    He was actually annoyed that someone bumped into him in the Mosh Pit! WTF? I nearly killed him for wreckin' my head at such an unbelivably cool concert. Ask plastic membrane - he was with me.
    </rant>

Like you said Luc, I didn't know how they were gonna do those songs live, but jesus they blew me away!

Thanks to Canaboid for swapping tickets (I had 2 for Sunday and not Saturday). I heard the Sunday gig they did a load of The Bends stuff, and while I'd have loved to have seen that, I'm glad I saw the Kid A stuff cause it really changed my opinion on it.

All the best,

Dav
    curlydav.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 18-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gimp, apparently

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by boddah:
    i liked kid A but not as a radiohead album.

</font>

eh?? confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gimp, apparently

kid A is the type of album you make when you lose your sense of melody and dont want anyone to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">kid A is the type of album you make when you lose your sense of melody and dont want anyone to know</font>
    ...and if they'd stuck to the same old radiohead by numbers crap, with three guitars, a keyboard and drums, they'd be great right ?
    I don't think so...Coldplay and JJ72 did that for them and proved that unless you have some serious talent (and coldplay and jj72 don't) then english guitar rock is just jaded and boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Well, there were those 3 gigs in Punchestown, so I guess so!
    <rant>
    I'll tell you something - that gig could only have been made better if my moany, whingy house mate hadn't had been there. He likes to go to concerts and SIT DOWN?!?!?! Talk about a waste of time - If I wanted to sit down at a concert, I'd listen the the CD at home.
    He was actually annoyed that someone bumped into him in the Mosh Pit! WTF? I nearly killed him for wreckin' my head at such an unbelivably cool concert. Ask plastic membrane - he was with me.
    </rant>

Like you said Luc, I didn't know how they were gonna do those songs live, but jesus they blew me away!

Thanks to Canaboid for swapping tickets (I had 2 for Sunday and not Saturday). I heard the Sunday gig they did a load of The Bends stuff, and while I'd have loved to have seen that, I'm glad I saw the Kid A stuff cause it really changed my opinion on it.

</font>

Everything 'e said is true...

I love Radiohead, from Pablo Honey on (especially The Bends). When i first got Kid A, i was running aroind the room, going WTF ? WTF ? Then i saw them live, and i still have The National Anthem going around in my head. Yeah, its Fricked up, but...ah hell, i love 'em, cant wait for Amnesiac.

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I love Kid A. If I ever own a car (oh the dreams) I'll listen to this when I drive.
    I have loved each Radiohead album but if Amnesiac is as reported, a mix between Kid A and OK Computer, I would imagine that it will be my favourite album of all time.

My Adolescent website:
    http://www.iol.net/~mullent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a link to get it for any one is interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Braver

I'll put some filler in this thread, k?

I like Kid-A, I like it even better than OK. Lyrics don't say much to me (tho they're very important on most albums). It's more about the mood they set I guess. Rather hypnotic tunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by harVee:
    kid A is the type of album you make when you lose your sense of melody and dont want anyone to know</font>
    ...and if they'd stuck to the same old radiohead by numbers crap, with three guitars, a keyboard and drums, they'd be great right ?
    I don't think so...Coldplay and JJ72 did that for them and proved that unless you have some serious talent (and coldplay and jj72 don't) then english guitar rock is just jaded and boring.

the hippys got a point: jj72 are crap.
    wingy bastids...

Advertisement