Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APPLE IPODS Price differences

Options
  • 02-12-2004 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why the Ipod is $299
    whereas when you click on the international store on www.apple.com for Ireland I am greeted with the new price of €339 for the same 20gb model.

Just wondering why this was?

Also was wondering if anyone had any idea on whther to buy one and where and if the other models of mp3 player are worth the investment (e.g Creative's Zen)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

VAT? And maybe the $299 price will have sales tax added later in the transaction?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Creative Zen Micro is class. Have it a couple of weeks now and can't recommend it highly enough. The only reason iPods are so popular is because of some excellent marketing from Apple and so much media coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK the price for Irish buyers from the apple store includes VAT at 21%. However, if you do some rough calculations there is still a price discrepancy between what you pay here instead of there. Must be a celtic tiger premium!

Best bet is to get someone going to the states to buy you one. The Dollar rate is very favourable - at $1.35 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Hey, it's just rip-off ireland. I was *trying* to get a Zen Touch from America, but I was brought back a Zen Xtra 40GB. I'm trying to sell it, so I can buy a Touch, or maybe a Micro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

yeah, it's so annoying when people come into me, asking for advice on which product to get, and you sort them out, match something up to their needs and give them all the advice they need, and then they tell you they'll get it in the states next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Be warned! Many US retailers deliver by the likes of FedEx, UPS etc. These companies will not release your goods until all the VAT and duties are paid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Apple is greedy. I'm just going to have to pay $89 to renew my .mac account. Now, the only thing I really use is the email address, but everyone has this, and it's more trouble than it's worth to change it.

So I'll have to pay this price, and take the web space (which I've never used, and which is only used by Americans eager to show the world their family pictures), the iDisk, which is used for swapping files, and Virex - a good antivirus program, actually, though Macs don't really do viruses much.

The computer on which I type this was around €1,000 dearer to buy in Ireland than it would have been in the US. R.I.P.O.F.F., that's what Apple means to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

luckat wrote:
    R.I.P.O.F.F., that's what Apple means to me.
    Ditto. That's why I use a peesee (I'm not being smart, that is why I use a peesee). And S.T.Y.L.E (including but not limited to a good interface and stability but one can get that elsewhere these days). That's it, R.I.P.O.F.F. and S.T.Y.L.E. R.I.P.O.F.F. wins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

luckat wrote:
    Apple is greedy. I'm just going to have to pay $89 to renew my .mac account. Now, the only thing I really use is the email address, but everyone has this, and it's more trouble than it's worth to change it.
    Surely just sending out an email, informing everyone on your address list of your new email address, would be better than paying $89? It'd only take a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yeah and how come iPod minis (which have like 4gb) are more expensive then less known ones with up to 10gb?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

luckat wrote:

So I'll have to pay this price, and take the web space (which I've never used, and which is only used by Americans eager to show the world their family pictures), the iDisk, which is used for swapping files, and Virex - a good antivirus program, actually, though Macs don't really do viruses much.

The computer on which I type this was around €1,000 dearer to buy in Ireland than it would have been in the US. R.I.P.O.F.F., that's what Apple means to me.

When you take out .Mac you are informed of the rates. It's pathetic complaining at this point, when you know a year ago how much you'd have to pay in 12 months time.

Advertisement