Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2004 - What about VRT?

Options
  • 02-12-2004 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I thought the EU were putting a lot of pressure on Ireland to abolish VRT. How come nothing was done? Surely the EU has to force the issue soon? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

The irish government has been heavily fined for the last few years by the eu over vrt but whats another couple of years to the government,there making too much money to just end it!
    You wait there will be some new tax introduced to replace it either that they will just increase the car tax rates to a massive degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

980 odd million made in 2003.

EDIT: just noticed that the thread with my original post about this is still around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

if you want to get a 'hybrid' the 50% refund of Vehicle Registration Tax on the purchase of ‘hybrid’ vehicles is extended to 31 December 2006.

*yay*

Don't reckon there is much of a choice in the range of hybrids? Anyone know whats available and what the recommend retail prices are?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

comanche wrote:
    Anyone know whats available and what the recommend retail prices are?

The only hybrid for sale in Ireland afaik is the European Car of the year 2005, the Toyota Prius @ €29k roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

What about full electrics? I tried a battery-powered Clio and a battery-powered 106 some years back, and they were way cool (but pricy because of the batteries, though + autonomy sucked a bit)... Would you get 100% VRT exemption, since they're not 'hybrids' but "fully-green"? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The irish government has been heavily fined for the last few years by the eu over vrt
    Link please?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As the EU has not harmonised taxes yet, it is up to each country to decide their own tax rates. Ireland has chosen to have a low Corporation tax rate and a high vehicle registration tax. Both of which are anti-competitive according to the Eu but both are fully legal. I am not aware of the EU imposing a fine on Ireland either!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Im searching for the source...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

unkel wrote:
    The only hybrid for sale in Ireland afaik is the European Car of the year 2005, the Toyota Prius @ €29k roughly

SO if I buy this car for 29k i get 50% of the VRT back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

No the 50 per cent VRT refund is inc in the price in the Prius

I read somewhere a while back if income tax was raised by 4 per cent VRT could be abolished *i can really see them doing that*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

What would happen to the poor ould joe soap who got his new car and just after they abolish it? Refund?(not likley)
    Am thinking of upgrading to a new Zs at the mo,would it be better to wait and see or will it be ages until things are sorted,If anything?

Col.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

djeclips wrote:
    What would happen to the poor ould joe soap who got his new car and just after they abolish it? Refund?(not likley)
    No, there would be no refund. If / when they abolish it they would likely do it on a sliding scale.
    djeclips wrote:
    would it be better to wait and see or will it be ages until things are sorted
    Don't expect anything soon.

Advertisement