Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[INDO] Meteor deal with Eircom 'unlikely'

Options
  • 02-12-2004 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

From Today's Indo:
    METEOR, Ireland's third mobile phone operator, has ruled out any imminent deal with Eircom in the future in terms of the incumbent's entry into the mobile market.

In an interview with the Irish Independent, Meteor's new chief executive, Robert Haulbrook, said: "We're miles away from reaching any agreement with Eircom. I would say it's unlikely at this stage when you interpret the offers that they have made to us.

Speculation has been rife that Eircom would buy out Meteor from its owner, Western Wireless, in a bid to enter the potentially lucrative mobile market.

However, Mr Haulbrook has poured cold water on this idea. "As old as that story is, I think you have to start doubting the credibility - of the story and the people who continue to spin it. It looks to me as if they (Eircom) are trying to bait either Vodafone or O2 into a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) deal, although it should be easier to do a deal with a smaller player." Telecoms regulator ComReg is expected to mandate an MVNO entry into the Irish market in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, Mr Haulbrook said that while Meteor has made mistakes in the past, he is confident that an aggressive push into the post-paid mobile market will pay off for the firm.

It is expected that this move will push Meteor's market share up to the 15pc level by this time next year.

Ailish O'Hora

Edit: just saw Adam's thread, mods can you merge/edit/delete?

Advertisement