Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Refund?

Options
  • 02-12-2004 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

for all you tax experts out there!

Question:

I was working in Ireland from January to September in which time I paid approximately 1500E in PAYE tax. I then moved to England to work in another job for another company, and I'm paying UK tax etc...

Can I claim for the tax I paid in Ireland because I only worked for 9 months and should have 3 months 'spare' tax credits???

I'm a little clueless on the subject. Please advise if you can.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Yeah, you should be able to claim some tax back, but not until the new year, when your last employer has submitted their P35. You should probably give the Revenue a call to find out exactly what they need you to submit to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Cheers, Waylander for the info!

Is there any way that if I call the Revenue, that they can ask me to pay tax upon returning to ireland with my earnings in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

TheLedge wrote:
    Is there any way that if I call the Revenue, that they can ask me to pay tax upon returning to ireland with my earnings in the UK?
    Most certainly yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Glad to help The Ledge. In answer to your second query have you had UK tax deducted from you earning over in the UK? But to be safe call tell them you are calling on behalf of a friend or family memebr who is currently abroad and do not give them your PPS\RSI number when you make the query. Then you can ask them what portion of the UK earning are liable to Irish tax. There is a specific tax treaty between the UK and Ireland that would cover this kind of instance and I am not too sure of the provisions of this but if I recall correctly the most you can pay in total is what you would have paid in taxes ont eh same salary here. As I say I am a bit sketchy on this so do not treat the above as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

It seems if you only paid 1500 in tax for 9 months work you were on low wages. So I will provide this information. If you were a high earner I would tell you to f off and live with it.

Go online to Revenue.ie. Print out a form P50.
    Say on the form that you are leaving the country to travel the world for 2 years. Then using the P45 you would have got in September send it in. You should get up to about 600 euro back.

Of course you are going to be working in the uk (or have been) but who is going to tell them that here. As long as you don't come back to work here before the 31st Dec 04 your covered.

It gets very complicated dealing with tax treaties and also the UK have a different tax year (april to april) which will only complicate things.

When and/or if you come back to work here next year pull the same trick in the UK but don't tell them here that you were working in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Thats a great tip Davidoco, thanks a million for it.

Yes it's true I was on low wages, so low I decided to make a go of things in the UK!

You know the all familiar young Irish sob story...get degree...cant get job that pays well enough...ripped off at every angle...get p*ssed off enough to leave!.. :mad:

I'm heading to Asia after this contract I'm working on runs out so technically it's not a lie, well apart from the whole 'working' thing!

I appreciate all your advice guys. Thank you again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

davidoco wrote:
    It gets very complicated dealing with tax treaties and also the UK have a different tax year (april to april) which will only complicate things.
    And I'm wondering do the Revenue Commissioners and the Inland Revenue share information?

Advertisement