Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car insurance for America

• 02-12-2004 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hey,

We're going J1 to boston in the summer and 4 or 5 of us have full liscences. We're going to get the AA international liscence (they're pretty easy to get).

Does anyone know whats the story with getting insurance over there? The companies, how much it is and is it easy to get. We're all 19-20.

Thanks.
    Conor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

hey man,

im actually doing a road trip this summer so ive been lookinginto this. insurance works a bit different over there then it does here, you may not need to get the international lisence but it will help,america insurance recognises our lisences(full only) and will insure you on just them, but the international one will give you more options.

if ye have any experance get a letter off your insurance co, BEFORE you go, saying you are\were insured and stating no claims discount ect. insurace is on the car not the person,17 is the minimum age to drive there so insurance wont be a problem, you will all be able to drive the car, so split the insurance evenly, ie it wont be a main driver and named drivers, the car just will have insruance with your names on it,

as for how mush it is, not too sure on that one myself, but its a bucketload cheaper then it is here! try and find some online quoting sites, for an address just use a business address near where ye are staying, for correct zip code, and car you hope to get! and be truthful! this will only be an approx figure for you as your not american citizans and wont have american lisences! but its a start!

forgot to mention youll get the lisence and insurance in one day, maybe two, first come first served basis, so get to the DMV early!!! avoide the q!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Conor20 wrote:
    Hey,

We're going J1 to boston in the summer and 4 or 5 of us have full liscences. We're going to get the AA international liscence (they're pretty easy to get).

Does anyone know whats the story with getting insurance over there? The companies, how much it is and is it easy to get. We're all 19-20.

Thanks.
    Conor.

Are you buying a car or just renting or borrowing off a friend. ?

If you buy a car you have to get registration plates for it (plates belong to the owner rather than the car as the situation here in Ireland), in order to get the registration you need to have insurance. Your Irish or international license should be sufficient to get insurance but don't quote me on it.
    All the relevant info about registration etc can be found on the Mass. Registry of Motor Vehicles website

Here is a site that gives online quotes
    Mass. insurance companies measure driving experience on a thing called the SDIP Step, sort of like the 'no claims bonus here', new drivers start out at step 15 and as your experience grows it goes down to the lowest level, step 9, if you have accidents etc your step goes up, bring enough info as you can to prove you have been driving for a long time, back in 1997 I went from step 15 to step 9 on producing my old Irish provisional license issued in 1988 to 'prove' I had 9 years experience.

If you are renting a car you can pay the insurance with the rental or you can decline it, if you decline it an get in an accident your 'F**ked'

If you have a friend over there and wish to borrow their car you can get added to their insurance, but give the insurer a copy of your license, you can be then taken off the insurance when you go back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

If you are renting, you can just buy insurance from the rental company. Your credit card company insures against any damage you do to the rental car, which helps. You will still need to buy liability / third party insurance, which covers any damage you do, while in the rental car, to other people, cars, etc.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother getting a car for most of the summer if you are going to be right in Boston. The subway and cab service are pretty good, and parking is a pain. You could rent one the odd weekend for a long trip, or for a week or so at the end of the summer.

If you are out in the 'burbs, I'd try to get my hands on some wheels alright. Behave yourself behind the wheel though - the Massachusetts State Troopers are the worst bastards alive.

Some insurance companies will insure you on an Irish license. I had AIG as my insurance company on an Irish license for ages.

Back when I was a lad, four of us had a '74 Ford Granada (which is a 6-litre V-8 sports car over here) for a J-1 summer in '94. Talk about a f**kin' battleship on wheels!!! I had a tyre blow out on the highway one day, and didn't even notice until a piece of shredded rubber flew up past my windscreen. We bought it for $500, and sold it to some shady dude at the end of the summer. There was smoke coming out through the dashboard by the time we were done with it. My friend's uncle (whose address we used for everything) got a letter a few month's later saying that the car was sitting, abandoned, in New York City (about 1000 miles away) and that it would be towed and crushed if we did not move it in 24 hours. We didn't.

Anyway, back on topic, we drove without insurance, as that was still perfectly legal in Alabama. Mind you, slave-trading is still perfectly legal in Alabama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

por wrote:
    If you are renting a car you can pay the insurance with the rental or you can decline it, if you decline it an get in an accident your 'F**ked'
    A lot of rental companies won't rent cars to under 25's, so check this out beforehand if you are going down this route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

tom dunne wrote:
    A lot of rental companies won't rent cars to under 25's, so check this out beforehand if you are going down this route.

Thanks tom dunne, forgot to mention that, those that will rent to u25's usually charge a hefty surcharge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement