Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mince pies

• 02-12-2004 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

all you need to know in how to make mince pies

8 oz butter, softened
    1 lb all purpose flour
    2 oz icing sugar
    2 egg yolks
    1 lb mincemeat
    an ounce or two of brandy or rum - if desired
    beaten egg, to glaze
    bun tins to make 30 pies

Cut the butter into cubes. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbes. Stir in the icing sugar. Make a well in the centre, stir in the egg yolk and about 3-4 tbsp iced water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead lightly to form a smooth dough (if there is time - chill for 30 minutes). Preheat oven to mark 400F or gas mark 6.

On a floured surface, roll out two thirds of the dough and cut out 30 rounds using a 2-½ inch fluted cutter. Use to line the bun tins. Fill with mincemeat*.

Re-roll remaining pastry and trimmings and cut out circles using a 2 in cutter. Dampen edges of circle and place on pies. Seal edges, brush tops with beaten egg and cook for 20 minutes.

*If desired, mix some (to taste) of the brandy or rum into the mincemeat. Mixture will be a little looser. Delicious when served alone or with custard (British - of course) or cream We highly recommend sampling the recipe repeatedly!!

christmas_mince_pies.jpg

which are your favourite premade mince pies 5 votes

dunnes
    0% 0 votes
    tescos
    20% 1 vote
    mr kipling
    0% 0 votes
    other
    20% 1 vote
    atari mince
    60% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 whatsgoin'on

"On a floured surface, roll out two thirds of the dough and cut out 30 rounds using a 2-½ inch fluted cutter. Use to line the bun tins. Fill with mincemeat*.

*If desired, mix some (to taste) of the brandy or rum into the mincemeat. Mixture will be a little looser. Delicious when served alone or cream We highly recommend sampling the recipe repeatedly!! "

For a different kind of mini pie replace mincemeat with cooking apples and a bit of sugar.Also you can replace rum or brandy with any kind of liquor if you want.
    ENJOY! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

woosaysdan wrote:
    (if there is time - chill for 30 minutes).

I'm so glad you put this in - pastry always turns out so much nicer when the dough has been chilled for at least 30 mins... . It's something to do with the way cold fats melt and mix with the starches when baked ( :confused: )

Make sure you don't use self-raising flour though. I made that mistake once and ended up with mince pies that looked like Big Macs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

where do u get your filling\ what's your favourite?

Cork_girl wrote:
    where do u get your filling\ what's your favourite?

I use Chivers in the jar - pretty lazy of me, I admit - but all that pastry rolling and cutting is tiring! ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mmm but I'm lazy. What's everyone's favourite pre-made ones? I think Dunnes and Mr. Kipling do the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

poll added!!!

"Other" is wiping the floor against the others with a whopping two votes!!1

For clarification, my vote was for Marks and Spencer mince pies. I realize that there are probably about 10 sub-brand M&S mince pies; I like the ones in the red box.

Advertisement