Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chill-out music

Options
  • 23-02-2001 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭

Think it's about time I got some new 'After Hours' CDs; current faves are Nightmares on Wax - Carboot Soul, Premiers Symptomes and Moon Safari by Air and a bit of DJ Shadow, but I need a change for a while, preferably something electro or symphonic. Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

you're a man after my own heart with air and dj shadow.
    have you heard Godspeed You Black Emporor?
    they are a great Canadian group that produce incredibly relaxing and weirdy music.

massive attack mezzanine must be hanging around your cd collection some place. put that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Boards of Canada: Music has the right to children.

a super chilled album. Vaguely hippyish but none the worse for that.

you can get it in tower in the dance section

yossarin

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh definitely my area of interest smile.gif

Favourites are :

Kruder and Dorfmeister (if you havent already got their Sessions cd, get it now!)

DJ Shadow as you say.

Portishead (try for the Live with the NY Philharmonic, sounds weird I know but its brilliant).

Gomez. Nuff said.

Orbital (some of their earlier stuff is very laid back).

Orb (Little Fluffy Clouds. Nuff said.)

Faithless, anything from their first album excluding the excessive b.m.p. stuff.

Massive Attack, Blue Lines and Protection are actually better then Mezzanine I think.

Some Propellerheads.

That a load to start with, if I get a chance I'll have a scan through my CD's too see if anything else jumps out...

DeV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Purple Electric Violin Concerto by Ed Alleyne-Johnson (I am not making this up btw smile.gif ). Very calming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

But of course wink.gif Another much-loved, over-played album (Mezzanine)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Boards of Canada - Boc Maxima
    Autechre - Incunabula
    Orbital - InSides/Snivilisation and the first half of Middle Of Nowhere.
    Tricky - Maxinquaye
    Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
    Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms and ISDN
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol II

why all these ppl are saying Mezzanine i dont understand, half it is utter tripe and as devore said Blue Lines and Protection are so so (include more sos as required) so much better.

also:

try getting your hands on some Aqua Bassino or Time Tourist, really ambient electronic stuff, although not to everyones tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Get some of the classic composers. Nothing sounds better when your hungover.

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

There's some good classical music on 97fm or there abouts, it might be Lyricfm but it's always classical stuff anyways smile.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Sigur ros...all soundscape type stuff,he's only got one album and its got some icelandic title that escapes me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

best chill out song is orange wedge by the chemical brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Tranquility Bass

Spiritualised

Cocteau Twins (Probably spelled that **** ways)

This Mortal Coil - Filligree & Shadow.

Dead Can Dance (esp. Into the Labyrinth).

The Sundays

"Chill Out" - KLF/Jamms very early ambient album, hard to find, picture of sheep in a field on the cover. Probably the best ambient album I've ever heard.

"The Songs of Distant Earth" - Mike Oldfield

"Oxygene" - Jean Michel Jarre.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 06-03-2001).]

oh god yeah Lazer Guided Melodies by Spiritualized is just ****in amazing... been listening it to death the past two weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

GET!! and I mean GET!! (notice the exclamations) St Germain - Tourist
    Its class so it is
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
    Mezzanine cause its the only one I know
    Faithless first album (Insomnia the full version in its entirety is so much better)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sico Bin them all and get some snoop wink.gif

Clan Acid 0wn j00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Elias

Best I've heard so far this year is the Beach House CD. Best chill out music ever. Summer love....... give it up Dartmise, I know you're an escaped chimp thats learned to type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Banco De Gaia isn't bad at all. Maybe too many bpm on some tracks though. Speaking of Dead Can Dance, anyone ever seen the Dead Can Dance movie ? I remember it being hyped on MTV years and years ago when Pip Dann was still a Vj there. The movie can be purchased on DVD from Amazon. Nice destressing music alright. very soothing after listening to too much Nailbomb and Ministry (not the club - the bloody Industrial band)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I usually chill out to a good varity of music but lately:
    FLC - loco the whole album maawwww smile.gif
    Moby - play need I say more
    Pantera - ah nothing like it
    The Frames - dance the devil , classic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

mmmmm....Pip Dann. Whatever became of her.

As for Chill out music, i think the American Beauty soundtrack, by Thomas Newman, is really quiet, but very effective. Nice to fall asleep to..

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Ahh Elias, at last I have tracked you down I have been looking for you for some time now.

It is time.....

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

You could try something like The Pearl by Brian Eno (invented ambient music as we known it back in the 70's) - its very chilled.

If you feel like more orchesteral stuff try something like The Desert Music by Steve Reich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    It's not electro or symphonic, but if you want chilled then this is it.

Or for classical try the John Field Nocturnes (piano). It's amazing how they can chill you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Groove Armada - At the River, Blue Skies, etc

Blue lines, good.

Pink Floyd - Dark side of moon (album)

Lemon jelly - his majesty king ramm
    GET IT! You'll think its a joke at the start but its very very sleepy soothing.

Up, Bustle & Out - any of their stuff, jazzy latin dancy mixture - lovely.

Cardigans - ironman (and other stuff).

Orbital - Halycon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Yeah, so I wrote a monstrous reply and it got lost somewhere (drunk). You're all very lucky, here follows an abridged reply.

Kali is the man, Orbital and Aphex Twin are the absolute business. I love the second track from the Windowlicker single, it's some seriously whacked out alien ****.

Orbital and Aphex Twin are both "way out there". So, you gotta give them a chance. I didn't like either when I heard them first. You have to let them grow on you.

I'd like to bring up a seperate issue. I take a lot of inspiration from music and drugs(!). When I say "inspiration" I'm talking about the classical poetic muse, but applied to modern art forms: in my case, computer programming (is this an art? I say yes (call me Mr.Del Monté)). I work on a little (!) project in my spare time (http://hosted.quake.ie/void). Sometimes I lose focus, and make no progress for months at a time (I've been working on this for three years). Then suddenly, I listen to some Orbital and smoke a spliff, and within the space of two hours I've done something crazy (which looks dead trippy but generally overstretches the engines architecture). Anyway, I confess to being a whacked-out druggy code freak, but I don't want this to turn out like the "drugs thread" on the other board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The_One_and_Only_Q!

Hmm, try:
    BT - ESCM
    or Disc 2 of ATB's Two Worlds.

or go to mp3.com
    and look for -
    Fallout Shelter no. 028
    and
    303Infinity

Also anything by Soul Coughing, alltho its not quite electronic.

[This message has been edited by The_One_and_Only_Q! (edited 25-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

just one or two more...

headfone sex - funky porcini, well stylish tunes, great for late at night chilling

aphex twin - selected works the first, some a bit odd but overall is fantastic

also have a tape with whale noises and jungle sounds on it, is unusually relaxing, not the sort of stuff youd listen to on discman etc tho'

mike oldfield - tubular bells, all time classic

groove armada - some fantastic tunes there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I really like David Gray's White Ladder to chill out to - but that's just my trying to be trendy I think smile.gif

Also, classic rock tracks like Freebird or Stairway help me drift off to... another place... smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Krusty

Where do I start......
    Most krackers already mentioned........Aphex, Orbital, especially the K & D Sessions...wikked mon. Anywhooo.....some of my tried and tested fav's are Café Del Mar Volumen Siete(the chill-out version of "Bush - Letting the cables sleep" on this album is mind-numbing), also most other Cafe Del Mar compo's kick ass too. Stan Getz......savage....he ded now but absolute legend for the auld chill. Esp. "Girl From Ipanema"....sweet. Y'all prolly know this one but didn't see it mentioned.....UNKLE - Psyence Fiction(DJ Shadow + James Lavelle collaboration) is one of my favourite Albums around. Another nice one....more of a pre-chill chill album is DJ Mark Farina - Mushroom Jazz ...any volume of dat. But I have to say dat d'ultimate chill was had while listening to Plastikman with the windows 'Space screensaver' (the wan with the random noises with it) running aswell...by complete accident. Worked well together.....took us an age to figure out what the fupp was goin on ......MMMmmm.
    To the beat now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

mogwai, tortoise, techno animal (tortoise and autechre and others), some squarepusher stuff, low, smog etc.

also

www.epitonic.com well worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

can't believe i forgot the last cd i got.

Larmousse.

Their debut full length albulm out pretty recently on city-slang.

lil sticker on front sums it up quite well:

"acoustic electronica at it's beautiful best" - dj magazine.

v. v. v. good chill out stuff.

http://www.cityslang.com/bandseiten/larmousse/larmousse_frame.html

should have some mp3s somewhere to listen to.

another good city slang band that're quite relaxing are to roccoco rot.

spod

Advertisement