Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing Direct from Japan

Options
  • 02-12-2004 1:40pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody here ever looked into bypassing Irish importers, and getting a car imported directly from japan in a single container?

Any japanese worldwide distributors with web sites that would accept single orders or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

U may need to bs them u r a car dealer setting up.Loads to look at
    http://www.isibike.com/
    I looked at doing this but it was to much grief.Ended up buying my Integra Type R off these guys http://www.finemotors.ie/contentv3/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

You would be drove up the wall if you imported from japan dealing with paper work, transfering money to the jap auction house, shiping

How about trying Merlin Car Auctions who have a jap auction on every wed. Most of the stuff is all right but there is the odd minter but all ways check the VRT, its usualy on the catalouge dont buy a car that says VRT TBC

Dont mind what the website says is up for auction ring on tue at about 4 and give them a work fax N.O. and they will send a finalised list

Once the list is down circle what you intrested in ring them, up give your name to sound like a trader and ask for reserves by giving the MCA ref N.O.

They will only give reserves out on cars that have gone trough before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

paper work is crazy, plus you pay :
    in Japan

car price
    shipping cost
    auction fee

then when arrives in Ireland

vat on above list
    administration fee
    storage fee
    vrt

not mentioning that you have to translate documents to English before you pay vrt

the car has to be really worth it. You will be better off importing jap import from UK as somebody else got screwed with VAT. This way you only pay VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've heard of it being done alright. I know a guy who set himself up with a dealer account with a Japanese auction house, then got an agent to go view some cars for him (emailed photos). He got two cars at a reasonable price and saved himself a few grand by buying and shipping them himself. A lot of things could have went wrong though.

There's plenty of dealers nowadays importing cars from Japan and selling them on the forecourt. I'd pay the extra premium and go through one of them. At least you know the car is already in the country, you know exactly what you're going to pay for it and they might give you a guarantee that's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Some of these dealers will import a specific car for you if you want too. It costs more and can take a while, but it saves you a lot of hassle.

Advertisement