Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom's WiFi prices!

• 02-12-2004 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me Eircom's WiFi service price model?

I see they are now taking full page ads in magazines listing roughly 60 locations (almost all being hotels) where you can log on.

I had to do so twice recently and discovered that their only 2 price options in both locations are €10 for obne hour or €20 for 24 hours!

Needless to say I only paid up with the greatest of reluctance.....

How much of this revenue does the hotel get? What is the structure of eircom's price deal with the locations?

Does eircom WiFi have competitors? BitBuzz, others? Surley their prices are more competitive than this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I can't comment on the cut for the hotel etc. Of course they get a share/deal.

As for competition ... O2 have a few hotspots too, in some other hotels.

Not much choice, but being in the hotels, they're aiming for the business user who can expense the connection, rather than it being used by Joe Soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bridigo

i think it's like a 50:50 share, it's a hotel service that will hopefully become free some day, as it is becomming so in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In the US etc, the hotel pays for the service to the telco, and wraps the costs in hotel charges that are hidden to the guests.

The way Ericom have their system setup is different because of the logon process, but there's not reason why it can't be changed.

You can always suggest it to the hotels you use. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Paulw wrote:
    In the US etc, the hotel pays for the service to the telco, and wraps the costs in hotel charges that are hidden to the guests.

As if Irish hotels weren't enough of a ripoff already. I guess if they do wrap the cost of wireless hotspots into the room prices it'll be per person per night :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much does an ADSL line and a wireless router cost ??
    €20 per WEEK would cover entry level BB and WiFi

€20 per person per day is like a dialysis machine

€20 per person per day means no one is going to use it unless their company is paying or they really need it

If providing a free service attracts ONE extra bed night per week it's paid for itself.

Bitbuzz are in the same ball park for prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Hi Vinnifitz,

The Academy Hotel, Dublin are offering free WiFi access to their customers. This wireless access is currently available in Fadó Fadó bar and the Public areas.

Contact me if you need additional details or e-mail wifi@academy-hotel.ie

Best of luck,
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

TOO PRICey ALL !!!

ONCE AGAIN EIRCOM RIDING THE COMNSUMER

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

ENN has this today...

Eircom has announced that it has deployed approximately 50 free wireless hotspots in central Dublin. The operator has Wi-Fi-enabled Eircom payphones throughout the city centre which will provide consumers with wireless broadband access if there are located within 50 metres of the enabled payphones. Eircom has said it will look to roll-out a similar service in the cities of Cork, Limerick and Galway during 2005.

FREE? Is this true?

Advertisement